Stupid question about Microsoft Account.....

DjDiabolik

Currently i have a Asus desktop pc whit a licensed Windows 10 Home (i don't have idea if i have correctly backup my license because i don't have nothing for restore it if for pure case the hdd goes to broken....) and i have created a microsoft account on it.

If i go on Preferences -> Activation it's says:

Windows is active with a digital license connected to your Microsoft account

I don't have understand exactly what does this mean....... i thinks i can use this same microsoft account for activate windows 10 home if i format completely my pc ? For example if i change radically my hardware and needed a new activation ?

Otherwise my question it's:

If i need to reformat my pc and if i want to uso a Windows 10 Pro/Enterprice iso i know i need to but or a legit keys or i can use so many method suggested here on this site for activate it.... but the question it's, i can use my currently microsoft account to this installation ? Or now my microsoft account it's definilly connected to my current serial and it's no be used for another installation ?

For example how i can manage this microsoft account for check the license connected to this account ? It's possibly ?

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can format and go back with Windows 10 Home and it will be automatically activated.

Any other version of windows you will have to activate it.

You understand absolutely correctly, you can format the disk, or even replace it, if needed, yours aktivation is stored on a Microsoft account, and you can install Windows 10 Home on the same computer always , and it is always activated after installation. NB! During installation, do not input no key, always select "I do not have" or "Skip" etc.

If you want to install a different version, you will need another activation key or  you must use other methods.

You can add more than one computer or mobile phone, or whatever on the same Microsoft account, visit Your account and read more.

https://account.microsoft.com/about

mmmmmmmmmmmm... very complete answers... very great :)

I have take a look here:

https://account.microsoft.com/devices

Infact there's present my Desktop PC whit the correct serial number.  At this point it's... if on same pc i format all and i install windows 10 pro when i put my microsoft account what's append ? I need to install pro whit a general account activate it (follow some november_rain thread) and only after put my Microsoft Account ?

I do not know exactly, but a few days ago, someone claimed, to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 worked.
If you want to try it, do it, but suggest to use a different Microsoft account. Just make a new one. Install Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and then use the DAZ to activate. If activated you can upgrade it. You can get Windows 10 Pro. But again, use different account.
If not activated, there is nothing to lose. Then use the other methods of activation.
 However, if you do not want to try, you will not need to re-install Windows 10. The pro version is possible get much easier. It is only necessary for Windows 10 generic pro key, this, which ending ...- 9MPGT-3V66T. If You change current key with it, Windows updates itself, but then You should activate it. This key will not activate, it is only for installing.

Generic Keys (these are public, can be used only for the Windows install, not to activate)

Spoiler

Please note, you cannot activate windows with any of these keys, they can only be used to 
complete the install and start the free trial period.

KMS:
    Windows 10 Professional         W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
    Windows 10 Professional N         MH37W-N47XK-V7XM9-C7227-GCQG9
    Windows 10 Enterprise         NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43
    Windows 10 Enterprise N         DPH2V-TTNVB-4X9Q3-TJR4H-KHJW4
    Windows 10 Education         NW6C2-QMPVW-D7KKK-3GKT6-VCFB2
    Windows 10 Education N         2WH4N-8QGBV-H22JP-CT43Q-MDWWJ
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB     WNMTR-4C88C-JK8YV-HQ7T2-76DF9
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB     2F77B-TNFGY-69QQF-B8YKP-D69TJ

RTM:
    Generic Windows 10 Home             TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
    Generic Windows 10 Home Single Language     7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH
    Generic WIndows 10 Pro             VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    Generic Windows 10 Enterprise         NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43

I have no data, because have nothing to update, but it worked for 14 veebrual, said Softpedia today. Try it if you like and want.
NB! This requires that is installed and activated Windows 7 or 8.1.

Download autoupdater - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=822783

Source - http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-still-available-as-free-upgrade-using-assistive-tech-trick-512918.shtml

It is my understanding that there are essentially two types of digital license for Windows 10, the digital license w/o a microsoft account, and a digital license linked to a microsoft account.

Please take note there will be activation issues if you install a Windows 10 version that does not match the version w/c your digital license is linked to, and use to login Windows with (e.g. install Windows 10 Pro and login with a microsoft account w/ a Windows 10 Home license.)

To avoid this, either use a different Microsoft Account or don't log in w/ your current MS Account, or use the standard, non-online username/password/PIN login.  I haven't read or found a way to UN-LINK a digital license from a Microsoft Account, so it's best to make final decision on what kind of Win10 Version you'll be using before linking the activation.

However, I cannot say for sure, but I THINK you CAN upgrade/update the Windows Edition linked to your Microsoft Account by using the update the product key  method, (Windows key + I > Update & Security > Activation) but the problem is most product keys get blocked so fast before you can even utilize it in such a manner. 

15 minutes ago, Keyser Söze said:
Spoiler

It is my understanding that there are essentially two types of digital license for Windows 10, the digital license w/o a microsoft account, and a digital license linked to a microsoft account.

Please take note there will be activation issues if you install a Windows 10 version that does not match the version w/c your digital license is linked to, and use to login Windows with (e.g. install Windows 10 Pro and login with a microsoft account w/ a Windows 10 Home license.)

To avoid this, either use a different Microsoft Account or don't log in w/ your current MS Account, or use the standard, non-online username/password/PIN login.  I haven't read or found a way to UN-LINK a digital license from a Microsoft Account, so it's best to make final decision on what kind of Win10 Version you'll be using before linking the activation.

However, I cannot say for sure, but I THINK you CAN upgrade/update the Windows Edition linked to your Microsoft Account by using the update the product key  method, (Windows key + I > Update & Security > Activation) but the problem is most product keys get blocked so fast before you can even utilize it in such a manner. 

Please excuse me, but it would be better, if you would not share a misleading (false) information. Here are almost all false or at least not fully correct.

3 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Please excuse me, but it would be better, if you would not share a misleading (false) information. Here are almost all false or at least not fully correct.

As you have flagged it as such, it would be prudent then to delete such a misleading (false) information. 

you do not need a microsoft account to install windows 10

even if you replace the harddisk.

place  a new harddisk and install windows 10

when you where running windows 10 before the change it wil activate if you are online

even if you install windows 10 (never have windows 10)you can use youre license key from windows 7 !

it will activate

and then after that , you can reinstall al you want it will be activated again.

once activated with windows 10 it wil activate again even after hardware change like a harddisk.

On 14/2/2017 at 10:01 PM, Kalju said:

I do not know exactly, but a few days ago, someone claimed, to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 worked.
If you want to try it, do it, but suggest to use a different Microsoft account. Just make a new one. Install Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and then use the DAZ to activate. If activated you can upgrade it. You can get Windows 10 Pro. But again, use different account.
If not activated, there is nothing to lose. Then use the other methods of activation.
 However, if you do not want to try, you will not need to re-install Windows 10. The pro version is possible get much easier. It is only necessary for Windows 10 generic pro key, this, which ending ...- 9MPGT-3V66T. If You change current key with it, Windows updates itself, but then You should activate it. This key will not activate, it is only for installing.

Generic Keys (these are public, can be used only for the Windows install, not to activate)

Reveal hidden contents

Please note, you cannot activate windows with any of these keys, they can only be used to 
complete the install and start the free trial period.

KMS:
    Windows 10 Professional         W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
    Windows 10 Professional N         MH37W-N47XK-V7XM9-C7227-GCQG9
    Windows 10 Enterprise         NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43
    Windows 10 Enterprise N         DPH2V-TTNVB-4X9Q3-TJR4H-KHJW4
    Windows 10 Education         NW6C2-QMPVW-D7KKK-3GKT6-VCFB2
    Windows 10 Education N         2WH4N-8QGBV-H22JP-CT43Q-MDWWJ
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB     WNMTR-4C88C-JK8YV-HQ7T2-76DF9
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB     2F77B-TNFGY-69QQF-B8YKP-D69TJ

RTM:
    Generic Windows 10 Home             TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
    Generic Windows 10 Home Single Language     7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH
    Generic WIndows 10 Pro             VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    Generic Windows 10 Enterprise         NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43

I have no data, because have nothing to update, but it worked for 14 veebrual, said Softpedia today. Try it if you like and want.
NB! This requires that is installed and activated Windows 7 or 8.1.

Download autoupdater - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=822783

Source - http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-still-available-as-free-upgrade-using-assistive-tech-trick-512918.shtml

mmmmmmmmmmmm... yeah but my dubs it's i can use my currently microsoft account. I know i can create a new microsoft account but i don't thinks i can't use my current email used now for my current microsoft account.

And anyway if for example I want to passed from Windows 10 home (how i already do a legally installed on my pc now) to windows 10 pro (if i buy a legal serial or use whatever mode to activate it) it's a good thinks to maintain my current microsoft account because for example i don't lost nothings on xbox account games or it's all other cloud services....... This is essentially the gist of my question/dubs :)

On 15/2/2017 at 11:43 PM, eurobyn said:

you do not need a microsoft account to install windows 10

even if you replace the harddisk.

place  a new harddisk and install windows 10

when you where running windows 10 before the change it wil activate if you are online

even if you install windows 10 (never have windows 10)you can use youre license key from windows 7 !

it will activate

and then after that , you can reinstall al you want it will be activated again.

once activated with windows 10 it wil activate again even after hardware change like a harddisk.

it's possibly you can't understand correctly my question/dubs...... it is possible that it is my fault caused by bad english :)

For me, the ideal thing would be to ask the same question of an Italian forum... i have tryed but in some the thread it's locked out about OT question.......

Archived