Stop Windows Version and Cumulative Updates

straycat19

Thought I would share a little trick I have been using to stop Windows 10 on my test systems from updating when a new version comes out or installing any of the cumulative updates.  This does not work in a VM but only on a live system with two drives.  I normally install the OS on an SSD, drive C,  but install programs and and all the libraries (documents, music video, pictures) on a HDD that is drive D.  You do that by changing several keys in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and change the Program Files and Program Files (x86) locations from C to D.  You change the libraries by going into their individual properties, select the location tab, and change the drive from C to D.  I do this immediately after installing Windows from a DVD/USB before installing any additional drivers or software. Then I install any drivers, updates or other items I want on the system before I apply the next fix.

The secret to stopping all the Windows updates is the hidden Program Data folder on the root of C.  Once that folder is moved from C to D Windows can no longer install new versions of itself nor can it update itself.  (Reference TechNet Article 949977)  

To change the Program Data folder from C to D use the following commands.

robocopy "C:\ProgramData" "D:\ProgramData" /MIR /COPYALL /XJ

rmdir "C:\ProgramData" /S /Q

mklink /J "C:\ProgramData" "D:\ProgramData"

NOTE: I have extra systems I play with.  I do use these settings on my game machines because I don't want windows to update anything and screw them up.  These work in windows 7 and 8.1 as well as 10.  I have never tried to reverse the Program Data folder location to see if I could make windows update again since I have no desire for it to do so.   I have to add the caveat, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK and NOT SAFE FOR NOOBS.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Thought I would share a little trick I have been using to stop Windows 10 on my test systems from updating when a new version comes out or installing any of the cumulative updates.  This does not work in a VM but only on a live system with two drives.  I normally install the OS on an SSD, drive C,  but install programs and and all the libraries (documents, music video, pictures) on a HDD that is drive D.  You do that by changing several keys in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and change the Program Files and Program Files (x86) locations from C to D.  You change the libraries by going into their individual properties, select the location tab, and change the drive from C to D.  I do this immediately after installing Windows from a DVD/USB before installing any additional drivers or software. Then I install any drivers, updates or other items I want on the system before I apply the next fix.

The secret to stopping all the Windows updates is the hidden Program Data folder on the root of C.  Once that folder is moved from C to D Windows can no longer install new versions of itself nor can it update itself.  (Reference TechNet Article 949977)  

To change the Program Data folder from C to D use the following commands.

robocopy "C:\ProgramData" "D:\ProgramData" /MIR /COPYALL /XJ

rmdir "C:\ProgramData" /S /Q

mklink /J "C:\ProgramData" "D:\ProgramData"

NOTE: I have extra systems I play with.  I do use these settings on my game machines because I don't want windows to update anything and screw them up.  These work in windows 7 and 8.1 as well as 10.  I have never tried to reverse the Program Data folder location to see if I could make windows update again since I have no desire for it to do so.   I have to add the caveat, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK and NOT SAFE FOR NOOBS.

By moving your Program Files and Program Files(x86) from C (SSD) to D (HDD) you slow down your system (...or not?)

3 hours ago, rerigam said:

By moving your Program Files and Program Files(x86) from C (SSD) to D (HDD) you slow down your system (...or not?)

You only slow down the programs you install on the HDD, not the whole system...

Nice trick but why wouldn't it work for a VM ? Assuming you have 2 partitions, it should work like in a live system.

Archived