Microsoft Indirectly Confirms Windows 10 Growing Painfully Slow

WALLONN7

The “400 million users” statement was reiterated yesterday

microsoft-indirectly-confirms-windows-10

In 2015 after introducing Windows 10, Microsoft used to announce adoption figures for the operating system every once in a while, obviously in an attempt to show that people were indeed embracing it and taking advantage of the free upgrade offer.

Last year, however, Microsoft slowed down the cadence of revealing Windows 10 adoption stats, with the company itself confirming that it could miss the 1 billion devices running Windows 10 target set for the end of FY2017.

In a keynote at the developer day earlier this week, Windows boss Terry Myerson said something that made many people raise their eyebrows: Windows 10 is running on 400 million devices, which is the exact same figure that the company announced back in September 2016.

Does this mean that Terry came up with outdated figures or is Windows 10 adoption really stagnating? Hard to say, but judging from the data provided to us by third-party research firms, Windows 10 is growing at a rather slow pace these days and although there’s a good chance that it exceeded the 400 million devices threshold, it’s still somewhere in that region.

Windows 10’s slow growth

“We now have over 400 million users all around the world, and this is consumers, people in schools, people in the enterprise. They’re doing all kinds of new things. PC gaming is taking off. 6 billion hour of PC gaming just in the last quarter,” Terry Myerson said in his keynote.

And yet, Myerson explained that “Windows 10 is off to the fastest start in Windows history,” without providing any statistics to compare it with Windows 7, which is arguably the most successful Windows version so far.

While it’s hard to believe that Microsoft has outdated figures, there’s indeed a chance that the company uses old figures to praise Windows 10, so let’s have a look at what third-party researchers say.

NetMarketShare says Windows 10 was running on 22.53 percent of the world’s PCs back in September 2016 when Microsoft unveiled the 400 million devices figure, while updated statistics for January 2017 put it at 25.30 percent. This means it improved only 2.77 percent since then, which does nothing more than to confirm that Windows 10 is indeed improving at a much slower pace these days.

It remains to be seen when Microsoft plans to unveil new Windows 10 adoption figures, but with the Creators Update launch due to take place in about 2 months, more information should be provided during the event.

Source

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

since windows 8 we are enchanging for a new ugly flat design...  people must want it because microsoft wants it...  wtf ? 4 blank squares is the windows logo?  are you kidding me?  what kind of design people do you have at hands???

even xp ( used yesterday ) has better 2d icons created in 2000.... im just using windows 10 because of the directx12 features... if i could have directx12 in windows 7 i would downgrading without any hesitation

it seems that even microsoft obliging people to use windows 10 with the several tactics with the free for a year and installing spyware or other some form of software on the compuers to force instalation of windows 10.

Microsoft likes to try new things and after that when the thiungs go bad they say sorry... the bad is already done   but were sorry... 

the new windows ( pay to have ads on windows, spyware and everything they will remenber in the future to gain more money)  yeeeyyyyy

im using windows 10 LTSB

1 hour ago, David said:

since windows 8 we are enchanging for a new ugly flat design...  people must want it because microsoft wants it...  wtf ? 4 blank squares is the windows logo?  are you kidding me?  what kind of design people do you have at hands???

even xp ( used yesterday ) has better 2d icons created in 2000.... im just using windows 10 because of the directx12 features... if i could have directx12 in windows 7 i would downgrading without any hesitation

it seems that even microsoft obliging people to use windows 10 with the several tactics with the free for a year and installing spyware or other some form of software on the compuers to force instalation of windows 10.

Microsoft likes to try new things and after that when the thiungs go bad they say sorry... the bad is already done   but were sorry... 

the new windows ( pay to have ads on windows, spyware and everything they will remenber in the future to gain more money)  yeeeyyyyy

im using windows 10 LTSB

Okay apart from other problems Windows 10 could probably have, never have seen someone to have problem with its logo lol

Those figures of course count all the devices that people were tricked and/or forced to install Windows 10 on, right?

The wheel of evolution seems to be rotating counterclockwise at MS. They are bending backwards to make the OS less appealing to consumers, and are still asking why people don't want to use it!?

6 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

Okay apart from other problems Windows 10 could probably have, never have seen someone to have problem with its logo lol

its a matter of expression.. im mad about microsoft forcing us all to this ugly mess

tried windows 10 retail and i was having problems about the second day - programs not installing (exe not running) was the most shitiest problem i could have after installing the new and improved aniversary update from Microsoft 

now using windows 10 LTSB ( the cutdown version ) and it works like it should ! ( apart from the ugly design because thats not gonna change)

14 minutes ago, David said:

its a matter of expression.. im mad about microsoft forcing us all to this ugly mess

tried windows 10 retail and i was having problems about the second day - programs not installing (exe not running) was the most shitiest problem i could have after installing the new and improved aniversary update from Microsoft 

now using windows 10 LTSB ( the cutdown version ) and it works like it should ! ( apart from the ugly design because thats not gonna change)

Did you fresh install your Windows 10 (pro?) or installed over a previous version of Windows ?

Their growing pains aren't anywhere near the pain that users of Windows 10 experience daily.  Adoption of a product always depends on the quality of the product and when you produce junk then people aren't going to want to use it.  If they had allowed users more than 30 days to roll back to their previous OS there would be a whole lot less users of Windows 10.  Fortunately they can still get new licenses for Windows 7 and 8.1 from a lot of places, the techs in town here have plenty of licenses for those that want to install a new version of Windows 7 or 8.1.   A lot of people opted for buying new computers that came with 7 or 8.1 rather than installing 7 on their old hardware.  Systems with 7 and 8.1 are still available if you know where to look, or you can build your own, like I do, you just can't use KabyLake processors, and that's fine since there isn't a noticeable improvement over the previous generation.

If the Microsoft dolts had any sense, they'd survey W7 and W8.1 users and ask them why they don't want W10...

Forced updates. Interrupts users and loses their work.

Flaky bug-infested updates.

Pathetic QA.

New-features obsession.

Poor general stability.

Changing user settings without permission to whatever Microsoft wants.

Little user-control. Microsoft changes what Microsoft wants and to hell with what users want.

Unavoidable major changes because it's the last-version-of-windows-ever. Don't like a change? Suck it up or stop W10 updates forever (or go back to a stable, mature, user-in-control W7/8/8.1 where the UX and feature-set will not change)

And, W10 still has a stench from Microsoft's GWX malware-like despicable unethical nagging, tricking, forcing "free upgrade" rollout.

For me, I want a stable, mature OS that I feel in control of. W8.1 (and W7) ticks those 3 boxes, W10 ticks none of them.

If Microsoft sold a simple version of Windows with all the bloatware removed, no forced updates, no advertising, no 'telemetry' uploads with some actual improvements to the OS not just fixing bugs introduced in the last version, then people might want to upgrade.

Windows 10 isn't an upgrade, it's a forced upgrade for those wanting DX12 GPU features or who have Windows 8, but it seems like Vulkan might take over so it's probably worthless now.

Microsoft never fixed their file-system (fragments the fuck out of itself), explorer still sucks bad no advanced features such as tabs/panes or syncing or any of that jazz that third party software has done since the Amiga days, their other services such as NFS haven't been updated since Windows 2000, also to note some of the more advanced features such as the full user account management any may other features like that are hidden only accessible from a run command which presents a program that looks like it was written for Windows 2000 as well and never updated.

Same thing with that Office program before I stopped used it, loads of the features were located in the old style config windows, the whole thing looks a mess and not intuitive at all. Windows is becoming more like an old version of Linux, and if they are not careful will end up being replaced by it on the desktop.

When I make computers for people who don't know what they are doing that only do simple stuff Ubuntu is the better option once it's set up for use. How crazy is that. I can't believe Microsoft never put an easy way to update programs automatically, why does every program have it's own updater for fuck sake, don't even start with the Windows store.

It seems with every iteration with Windows they try to make it harder to use and not provide any worthwhile new features.

The only feature they implemented which I wanted since Windows Vista was DPI scaling option for all programs which they finally put in Windows 10, which is very well and nice, but it's bugged to fuck. Sometimes after exiting a full screen program the DPI setting revert to 100% for no reason. The funniest part is Assassin's Creed 4, I know a Ubishit game, but if you enable DPI scaling the game crashes when you run it, fuck knows why.

On 10/02/2017 at 6:28 PM, saeed_dc said:

Did you fresh install your Windows 10 (pro?) or installed over a previous version of Windows ?

fresh install version 1607

On 11/02/2017 at 1:24 PM, edwardecl said:

If Microsoft sold a simple version of Windows with all the bloatware removed, no forced updates, no advertising, no 'telemetry' uploads with some actual improvements to the OS not just fixing bugs introduced in the last version, then people might want to upgrade.

Windows 10 isn't an upgrade, it's a forced upgrade for those wanting DX12 GPU features or who have Windows 8, but it seems like Vulkan might take over so it's probably worthless now.

Microsoft never fixed their file-system (fragments the fuck out of itself), explorer still sucks bad no advanced features such as tabs/panes or syncing or any of that jazz that third party software has done since the Amiga days, their other services such as NFS haven't been updated since Windows 2000, also to note some of the more advanced features such as the full user account management any may other features like that are hidden only accessible from a run command which presents a program that looks like it was written for Windows 2000 as well and never updated.

Microsoft still hasnt fixed ( i dont think this will be fixed on the next years.... that path limitation  ( i have to use unlocker to delete/move some folders)

Archived