Police Seize Domains of Fifty ‘Pirate’ Newspaper and Magazine Sites

shamu726

Italian authorities have seized 50 domains involved in the unlawful distribution of copyrighted content. The seizure, ordered by the Court of Rome, targeted sites that were offering free digital versions of dozens of national newspapers and magazines including Cosmopolitan and Vanity Fair.

guardia

Anti-piracy operations come in all shapes and sizes but it’s movies, music and TV shows that grab the majority of the headlines. Games, software, and eBooks trail closely behind, but it’s rare that other types of digital print see enforcement action.

Italy, one of the most aggressive countries when it comes to sweeping anti-piracy actions, has just changed all that with one of the largest enforcement operations ever seen in the publishing niche.

Following an investigation carried by rightsholders and the Public Prosecutor of Rome, a total of 50 domains involved in the unlawful distribution of news and magazine content have been seized by the country’s Special Unit for Broadcasting and Publishing.

According to an announcement by the authorities, all of the sites have now gone dark after offering “vast quantities” of material originally published by major newspapers and periodicals including Cosmopolitan, Fashion Magazine, and Vanity Fair.

The operation, dubbed “Odyssey 2”, was carried out under the directives of the Special Command Units of the Guardia di Finanza, a militarized police force under the authority of the Minister of Economy and Finance.

Fulvio Sarzana, a lawyer with the Sarzana and Partners who specializes in Internet and copyright disputes, says that the sites were probably under the control of separate entities.

“The variety of sites and the diversity of hosting and domain registrations leads me to think that these are different cases,” Sarzana informs TorrentFreak.

“The methods vary but generally the digital kiosks work this way; someone buys the paper or digital versions of newspapers through a duly registered account and then makes them available on the website.”

Until now, Italy has employed the same “follow-the-money” approach used by authorities in other jurisdictions, whereby site owners are identified via payments made by advertisers and similar business partners. Now, however, it claims to have developed a ‘new’ “follow-the-hosting” approach, which allows it to identify site operators, even when they use Cloudflare to hide the location of their servers.

While details on the techniques used by the authorities are thin, uncloaking server locations in this way is nothing new and can be achieved when Cloudflare is ordered to do so by a competent court.

The sites in question, which were not named by the authorities, are said to have served millions of users with pirated content. This, to a background of national media groups losing a third of their turnover over the past five years.

Big anti-piracy operations to protect publishers are extremely rare but with their market closing in and ad revenues falling, more could certainly follow in the future.

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magazine Sites are a dime a dozen there like streaming sites for everyone they close 2 more open  and any site that's serious about staying open  have more than one domain ...i cant believe all the pirate sites that still use .com register  in 2017  those domains have not been safe for warez since 2012 so if you get it took  you had years to change and  are just asking to be suspended. 

RlSBB  lost its .com domain last week  and TF didn't even post about it even though its one of the biggest warez blogs on the internet  Its one stop shop they have some of everything.  But the site was still working and updated the whole time you could access it trough a unblock proxy url and they just switched over to one there other back up domains and its biz as usual .  They rather report about nameless sites that no one cares about are even knew existed?

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

Magazine Sites are a dime a dozen there like streaming sites for everyone they close 2 more open  and any site that's serious about staying open  have more than one domain ...i cant believe all the pirate sites that still use .com register  in 2017  those domains have not been safe for warez since 2012 so if you get it took  you had years to change and  are just asking to be suspended. 

RlSBB  lost its .com domain last week  and TF didn't even post about it even though its one of the biggest warez blogs on the internet  Its one stop shop they have some of everything.  But the site was still working and updated the whole time you could access it trough a unblock proxy url and they just switched over to one there other back up domains and its biz as usual .  They rather report about nameless sites that no one cares about are even knew existed?

While RLSBB.RU is up and running again, there is an even bigger site that offers much more that is still on .com.  Maybe because it isn't mentioned in any forums that I have read about and people who know about it aren't publishing the address so its stays under the radar so to speak.  It also doesn't come up on any web searches, unlike a lot of the other sites.  Those sites that stay under the radar seem to last a lot longer.  

16 hours ago, steven36 said:

they are back with .com

4 hours ago, ASIO said:

they are back with .com

.com  is cross scripting with .ru  they must got there domain back though  but its just a 2nd party domain. i will stay with ..ru  because i dont like using cross scripting sites  it could be a honeypot? if ..ru goes down .com  will go down too..

P8IYenQ.png

mX3C0PX.png

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

.com  is cross scripting with .ru  they must got there domain back though  but its just a 2nd party domain. i will stay with ..ru  because i dont like using cross scripting sites  it could be a honeypot? if ..ru goes down .com  will go down too..

P8IYenQ.png

I know this news no need to mention :)

Also sceper went down for like a week too at the same time  and why not mention it?. It's public info that RLSBB  put all over Facebook and reddit  if they didn't want no one too know  they would never told what happened and use a unblock proxy tell they fixed it. 

8 minutes ago, ASIO said:

I know this news no need to mention :)

:)

Archived