Lubricating Laptop Fan

mclaren85

On 1/29/2017 at 6:59 AM, WALLONN7 said:

I could say: they all are... But it would be fair only when I referred to computers already assembled, whether OEM or assembled in most of the stores that sell them ... But I would not be fair with some more expensive cases once some usually come with ball-bearing fans...

I always check the fans that come in new computer cases to make sure they are ball-bearing and not sleeve fans.  Much easier to replace them before starting the build than later when I have the case full of components.  I keep a large storage tub full of new fans of all sizes so I don't have to run out every time I need a fan.  I have an Antec Lan-Boy case that has 15 fans in it and a water cooled CPU.  That thing even cools the room when it is on. :D  And unbelievably you would think it makes a lot of noise but it doesn't, I just make sure I don't have any loose papers on the desk when I turn it on because the fans start with a loud rush till they settle down to their normal speeds.

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎30‎-‎01‎-‎2017 at 0:29 PM, macnavarra said:

use Vaseline and put a new sticker to prevent dust from coming in. :D

vaseline no xD

you need to use synthetic oil, for example oil engine for cars/motorcycles.

7 hours ago, macnavarra said:

I don´t think a electro engine uses oil on moving parts like the engine axis or any other.

https://www.mobil.com/industrial/lubricant-expertise/resources/electric-motor-maintenance-and-lubrication

the whole electric motor does not use oil, just the axis and for a fan you need to put only few drops of synthetic oil, 2 or 3, no more.

• Administrator
On 3/2/2017 at 3:11 AM, straycat19 said:

I always check the fans that come in new computer cases to make sure they are ball-bearing and not sleeve fans.  Much easier to replace them before starting the build than later when I have the case full of components.  I keep a large storage tub full of new fans of all sizes so I don't have to run out every time I need a fan.  I have an Antec Lan-Boy case that has 15 fans in it and a water cooled CPU.  That thing even cools the room when it is on. :D  And unbelievably you would think it makes a lot of noise but it doesn't, I just make sure I don't have any loose papers on the desk when I turn it on because the fans start with a loud rush till they settle down to their normal speeds.

Say, talking about CPU fans, what do you guys recommend for lets say 120mm and 200mm fans - just mentioning what I believe is the standard size.

Also, I know LEDs in everything are hated by experts, but LED fans in the suggestions would be preferable too.

3 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Say, talking about CPU fans, what do you guys recommend for lets say 120mm and 200mm fans - just mentioning what I believe is the standard size.

I know my comment will seem too detailed, but it is how I proceed in the montage of my products.

You need to consider some variables:

1. Heat that the processor produces
  2. Heat dissipation capacity inside the case
  3. Average ambient temperature
  4. Use of hardware capability

With this type of information it's possible to prevent a Ferrari from making use of ordinary gasoline and oils and a popular car is fueled with rocket fuel...

10 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Also, I know LEDs in everything are hated by experts, but LED fans in the suggestions would be preferable too.

I don't like LED fans, I don't need the lights in my computers, can't see them anyway when they are hidden underneath a table or in racks.  I don't have a favorite fan, per se, I just look for ball-bearing fans with good ratings and no LEDs.  Three that I use the most are Noctua, Cooler Master, and Corsair.  Corsair has a Premium Magnetic Levitation fan that I would like to try, but haven't yet.  The concept is interesting since if the fan is not physically rotating on a shaft but is suspended then there is not a physical bearing or sleeve to wear out.  When I get time I will get a couple and try them.  I would like to take one apart and see how they are made. They are sold in pairs for about $35.00, which makes them slightly cheaper than the Noctua 120mm which are about $18.  I have used cheaper fans, but only in a pinch when I needed a fan and couldn't get a better one because they were sold out at the time.  I have never felt comfortable in putting cheap components in a computer, especially in those things that matter, which is just about everything.  Which means in my younger years I had to buy a component every payday and it might take 5-6 months to get enough to put together a new computer, which by then was obsolete. :(

@straycat19 I'm convinced that you are expert in fans . Can you please tell us what should sleeve bearing fans look like ? The only difference from ball bearing fans is lack of balls? (Forgive me for the word "ball" but I had no other choice. :) )

• Administrator
20 hours ago, WALLONN7 said:

I know my comment will seem too detailed, but it is how I proceed in the montage of my products.

You need to consider some variables:

1. Heat that the processor produces
  2. Heat dissipation capacity inside the case
  3. Average ambient temperature
  4. Use of hardware capability

With this type of information it's possible to prevent a Ferrari from making use of ordinary gasoline and oils and a popular car is fueled with rocket fuel...

While I have two of these with me waiting to be installed from months now, I'm just wondering / trying to understand which case fans are worth looking into. Like thermal paste, I personally that fans too are really interesting things. Some are specifically made for CPUs, some for cases, some for speed, some for noise efficiency. So always try to look into it.

13 hours ago, straycat19 said:

I don't like LED fans, I don't need the lights in my computers, can't see them anyway when they are hidden underneath a table or in racks.  I don't have a favorite fan, per se, I just look for ball-bearing fans with good ratings and no LEDs.  Three that I use the most are Noctua, Cooler Master, and Corsair.  Corsair has a Premium Magnetic Levitation fan that I would like to try, but haven't yet.  The concept is interesting since if the fan is not physically rotating on a shaft but is suspended then there is not a physical bearing or sleeve to wear out.  When I get time I will get a couple and try them.  I would like to take one apart and see how they are made. They are sold in pairs for about $35.00, which makes them slightly cheaper than the Noctua 120mm which are about $18.  I have used cheaper fans, but only in a pinch when I needed a fan and couldn't get a better one because they were sold out at the time.  I have never felt comfortable in putting cheap components in a computer, especially in those things that matter, which is just about everything.  Which means in my younger years I had to buy a component every payday and it might take 5-6 months to get enough to put together a new computer, which by then was obsolete. :(

Good to hear all this.

Say, in Cooler Master and Corsair, what specific ones can you point out. I wish a certain company who is an expert in making fans made good looking ones - atleast color wise, not about the LED part and be available here.

3 hours ago, DKT27 said:

While I have two of these with me waiting to be installed from months now,

I took a look at the specs and I can tell you that you're well served. I use CM fans. They are usually efficient and last as specified.

4 hours ago, DKT27 said:

I'm just wondering / trying to understand which case fans are worth looking into.

As CM, I'd suggest brands like Zalman and Antec.

Well, I usually look at life expectancy, airflow and noise - in this order. 

• Administrator
On 5/2/2017 at 4:15 PM, WALLONN7 said:

I took a look at the specs and I can tell you that you're well served. I use CM fans. They are usually efficient and last as specified.

Well, I usually look at life expectancy, airflow and noise - in this order. 

Thanks for looking into it. I actually had done a lots and lots of searching before buying them. When I got them, I was impressed by their efficiency but disappointed by their quality - I guess all the LED based fans would be like this quality wise. Again, yet to take them to use though.

I see. Unlikely to get both the brands here, more so for the first one than the second. There are only 2 to 3 famous brands easily available here, both of them mentioned in my post above here.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:45 PM, WALLONN7 said:

What do you think about Arctic Cooling Fans? They make the best thermal paste so maybe they are experienced in heat issue.

f12_pro_g00_1.jpg

1 hour ago, mclaren85 said:

What do you think about Arctic Cooling Fans? They make the best thermal paste so maybe they are experienced in heat issue.

Dude, I have to confess: I use thermal paste... but fans are news to me!!! :o

As soon as I saw your post, I went to the site and... I was surprised by what I saw!!! 6 year warranty!!! :D

As soon as I can, I will have some of its fans with me!!! :dance:
The one from the photo you posted is great!!! :yes:
I'll have to import, but that's okay!!! B)

Archived