Jump to content

Welcome to nsane.forums

Welcome to nsane.forums, like most online communities you need to register to view parts of our community or to make contributions, but don't worry: this is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of nsane.forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Access special members only forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates

 

Please note: Unfortunetely due to some server side issues, registration via Hotmail / Outlook email addresses do not work, members are requested to use some other email addresses like Gmail to register here.


vissha

Android 7.1.1 Nougat Running Surprisingly Well on a 7-Year Old Galaxy S1

Recommended Posts

vissha    6,714
vissha

Android 7.1.1 Nougat Running Surprisingly Well on a 7-Year Old Galaxy S1

 

android-7-1-1-nougat-running-surprisingl

 

Samsung released the Galaxy S in June 2010

 

Quote

Many are waiting for 7.0 Nougat software updates on their Galaxy S7 and S6 smartphones, but we’ve come across a video showing how 7.1.1 Nougat looks and feels on the first phone in Samsung’s Galaxy S series.

 

YouTuber XTvideos posted a video showing how Android 7.1.1 Nougat performs on the 7-year old Galaxy S smartphone, announced in March 2010 and released a couple of months later in June. The video shows the first boot of Galaxy S1 i9000 running the latest version of Android.

 

Obviously, this is an unofficial CM version of Nougat, nobody expects Samsung to release an update for devices so old. The smartphone runs a bit slow, it takes some time to load the settings menu, and the phone is running a clean OS, no apps were flashed.

 

The user installed CyanogenMod 14.1 on the Galaxy S (GT-I9000), and since it’s an unofficial version, the phone is a bit slow in certain areas. The phone also appears to have the December security patch, which was the latest when the video was uploaded.

 

512MB of RAM and Hummingbird chipset inside

 

The video shows that 7.1.1 Nougat contains most of the features that you would expect, like a revamped notification area and even quick reply. The phone can open all settings menus and it provides the user with access to developer options, without crashing, freezing or shutting down.

 

Samsung’s Galaxy S1 (GT-I9000) had a 4-inch AMOLED display with 480 x 800 pixel resolution and Corning Gorilla Glass coating on top. It ran Android 2.1 Eclair out of the box and later received an update to 2.3 Gingerbread. These two versions haven’t been included in Android Distribution reports for quite some time now, meaning that they’re market share is well below 0.1%.

 

Moving on the Galaxy S1 came with 512MB of RAM, 8 or 16GB of internal storage which could be expanded to 32GB with a microSD card and ran a Hummingbird chipset or Exynos 3110 with a 1.0GHz Cortex-A8 processor, coupled with PowerVR SGX540 graphics processing units.

 

Rear camera capacity reached 5MP with autofocus, while the secondary camera was VGA. The phone drew power from a removable 1,500mAh battery.

 

 

Source

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PistalPete    375
PistalPete

Ya, I wouldn't exactly call that running surprisingly well. Basically he is just navigating the menu structure on a clean install, and even then there are problems.... no proof of any apps running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jtmulc    365
jtmulc

I still have my old Vibrant lying around, I should probably give this a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tiliarou    82
tiliarou

So google, qualcomm and manufacturer pretending that Nougat requires 64bit is completely wrong and the drivers for older snapdragon and SOC were removed solely to make us buy new phone. I believe this is illegal in most country as it is purely planned obsolescence in the sole purpose of generating income (no security or stability consideration). Screw them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DKT27    6,690
DKT27

Still, Google does not think they should release this for my relatively new official Google phone.

 

11 hours ago, tiliarou said:

So google, qualcomm and manufacturer pretending that Nougat requires 64bit is completely wrong and the drivers for older snapdragon and SOC were removed solely to make us buy new phone. I believe this is illegal in most country as it is purely planned obsolescence in the sole purpose of generating income (no security or stability consideration). Screw them.

 

I doubt 64-bit processor is an official requirement. Can you link me to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tiliarou    82
tiliarou
On 23/01/2017 at 9:45 PM, DKT27 said:

Still, Google does not think they should release this for my relatively new official Google phone.

 

 

I doubt 64-bit processor is an official requirement. Can you link me to it.

You're right it's not really directly realted to 64bit or not...

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-7-0-snapdragon-800-801-712930/

The thing is that Qualcom, OEM and Google all blames eachothers for no proper older soc supports whereas it's purely marketing and financial considerations. They deliberately removed support for snapdragon 800/801 from dev preview to final release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DKT27    6,690
DKT27
18 minutes ago, tiliarou said:

You're right it's not really directly realted to 64bit or not...

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-7-0-snapdragon-800-801-712930/

The thing is that Qualcom, OEM and Google all blames eachothers for no proper older soc supports whereas it's purely marketing and financial considerations. They deliberately removed support for snapdragon 800/801 from dev preview to final release. 

 

I see. Thanks for the information. This does explain why my official Google flagship phone does not get the update - they just do not want to do so. They cover it up with a year of extra security updates, that's it. Notice how custom Android versions continue and will continue to provide updates. One of the reason I bought my phone was I was expecting a long Google updates support, not such money grabbing crap tactics used by them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tiliarou    82
tiliarou
12 hours ago, DKT27 said:

 

I see. Thanks for the information. This does explain why my official Google flagship phone does not get the update - they just do not want to do so. They cover it up with a year of extra security updates, that's it. Notice how custom Android versions continue and will continue to provide updates. One of the reason I bought my phone was I was expecting a long Google updates support, not such money grabbing crap tactics used by them.

Exactly, it's purely strategy to make us buy new phones. And yes, custom rom maker on Xda can do it so of course OEM can ! They just decide not to...

I believe this can be illegal in some countries as it is really an intentional move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×