Microsoft: Windows 7 in 2017 is so outdated that patches can't keep it secure

Recruit

ZH81wwU.jpg

Windows 7 "does not meet the requirements of modern technology, nor the high security requirements of IT departments", according to Microsoft.

Image: Microsoft

Microsoft has kicked off its three-year countdown for Windows 7's end of extended support, warning enterprises they'll pay dearly for sticking with the platform's outdated security compared with Windows 10.

Enterprises can of course delay upgrading until January 13, 2020, when extended support ends for the 2009 OS and it no longer receives patches, unless the customer is paying for a pricey Microsoft Custom Support Agreement.

However, as Microsoft has warned, Windows 7, which moved to extended support in 2015, is outdated and will drive up operating costs from remediating malware attacks that wouldn't penetrate Windows 10 systems.

Windows 7 "does not meet the requirements of modern technology, nor the high security requirements of IT departments", said Markus Nitschke, head of Windows at Microsoft Germany.

"As early as in Windows XP, we saw that companies should take early steps to avoid future risks or costs," he added.

The message came as Microsoft published research showing that Windows 10 Anniversary Update in-built security could neutralize two recent zero-day exploits, even without the patches required to protect earlier versions of Windows.

Windows 10's modern security features touted by Microsoft include Windows Hello biometric login, its AppContainer sandboxing technology, and Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, which will gain new features in the upcoming Creators Update.

Adding to the pressure to upgrade, enterprise organizations on Windows 7 soon won't have the additional zero-day protection offered by EMET or the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit since 2009. Microsoft in November extended EMET's end of life from January 2017 to July 31, 2018.

While newer tools make Windows 7 less difficult for enterprise customers to migrate from than XP, Microsoft is still urging corporate customers to begin the transition three years out from Windows 7's end of support, stressing they face "enormous dangers" if they don't.

Source

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, but their defamatory campaign regarding Windows 7 is so clumsy .....:fist:

If you don't agree with it why do you post it ? Still most business  is on Windows 7   Windows 10 never was free too enterprise and if you pirate they most likely wish you would stay on XP because they dont profit from you no way, and most business will put off updating as long as they can just like most stayed on XP tell the last minute. No one cares what OS you use in real life I dont get no benefit from what ever you use . :P

3 minutes ago, steven36 said:

If you don't agree with it why do you post it ?

If you do not agree with him or with us, why not ignore us instead of always wanting to prove your point?! :rolleyes:

it was posted  you bring it too the whole boards attention , and i dont give a crap what OS you use but Windows 10 fanboys  that may be getting paid off from Microsoft  is going to be slamming Windows 7 from now on  so you may as well get use too it.  the same journalist  claim  Windows 10 can protect you without even doing updates .

Windows 10 security: 'So good, it can block zero-days without being patched

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-security-so-good-it-can-block-zero-days-without-being-patched/

Corrupter  geeks  that use Linux  and stuff have been saying Windows security has been bad all along. so whats new ? So please tell me something I didn't know when i'm on Linux i dont even use a antivirus and most everyone dont ether  but i always  make sure i use one no matter what windows OS  I'm on. Linux has malware but only a fraction of what windows has . 95% of desktop malware is written for windows and that's just reality .

Why Windows security is awful August 25, 2009

http://www.itworld.com/article/2767536/security/why-windows-security-is-awful.html

43 minutes ago, hannubys said:

Any expert in security can recommend to stay on Windows 7 anyway

Do not buy this childlike attempt to put terror into Windows 7 users...

Microsoft has been doing this since the launch of "Windows 10 NO way"...  And it will maintain this posture as a child who does not know how to lose... Why?! Because Win 7 is its pain in the a**!!!

Windows 7 To Be Left Vulnerable To Viruses And Security Problems

Ever since Microsoft launched the Windows 10 operating system in July last year, it has consistently campaigned for PC users to make the upgrade from Windows 7.

The Redmond-based tech giant has even made the upgrade free and installation as simple as possible. Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users, until the first anniversary of its release.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, majority of the world’s computers are still running the most popular version, Windows 7.

According to Net Market Share, Windows 7 still powers 55 percent of the world’s computers. Next up is Windows XP that still has a strong following with 10.93 percent share.

Windows 8.1 covers 10.3 percent of the share, while Windows 10 has steadily, but slowly improved since its release with only 9.96 percent.

Microsoft has previously stated that it would like 1 billion devices to run on Windows 10 within three years after its release. But at this slow rate, it might not meet the target.

The latest operating system only has 200 million monthly active devices based on a report in November.

And so in another attempt to persuade Windows users to make the jump to Win 10, a Microsoft executive made some controversial comments in an online show.

Microsoft’s chief marketing officer Chris Capossela issued a warning during his appearance on the online show Windows Weekly.

Talking to host Leo Laporte, Capossela stated that the company is aiming to “end the fragmentation” of the Windows install base.

The company executive added that Microsoft has made sure that a wide range of computers and devices would be able to run Windows 10. As a result, this may encourage users of older devices to update.

“As we’re pushing our hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10, that obviously makes the old stuff really bad, and not to mention viruses and security problems,” Capossela said.

The warning about “viruses” and “security problems” has definitely raised red flags among people who are still using older versions.

However, Microsoft has already announced and made it clear that it will continue to provide security updates for Windows 7 until 2020. That only means Capossela’s “warning” will only take effect after 2020.

In spite of the slow adoption rate of Windows 10, Microsoft has been working hard in improving the features and performance of its latest operating system.

In November, Microsoft released the first major update for Windows 10, codenamed Threshold, version 1511. The update improved browsing in Microsoft Edge, provided better performance in multi-tasking, and made some minor tweaks and fixes as well.

A second major update is reported to be released next year and is dubbed Redstone. Reports claim that several minor updates will be available in the next few weeks.

Windows 10 offers a slew of features, one of which is default disk encryption. This is turned on by default in new devices, which means that if the device gets lost, the user’s data will be protected.

Another feature that Windows 10 users will enjoy is the automatic notification feature. Microsoft said that it would notify users whose accounts the company believes to have been hacked or compromised by an individual or group.

Microsoft focused everything it had on the development of Windows 10, especially after its Windows 8 and 8.1 updates did not yield the expected results. The company also appears to have given up on its Windows Phone OS and the partnership with Nokia has done little to become a real threat to Android and iOS.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2683924/windows-7-to-be-left-vulnerable-to-viruses-and-security-problems-as-microsoft-continues-to-push-windows-10-upgrade/

You still have almost 3 years before  they stop giving  updates  so its just a marketing stunt is all and  it will get worse  the closer to 2020 it gets ..Didn't  when you change from Windows XP to Windows 7 teach people anything? it's funny how everyone forgets so fast . Ths post was from last year Jan 2016   and it says almost the same thing in Jan 2017 so the OP is rehash dont you ever get tired of reading the same fake news based on something Microsoft marketing wrote at  the beginning of  2016. ?  Here it is 2017 and you are still on this same topic. Talk about wallowing in the mire ..

it's bullshit  not everyone can update to windows 10  even as they want  this is the same reason they pulled  IE updates from rollups in windows 7  i know people who get paid from the Government and there computers have a block on IE were it cant update to IE 11 and they will never be able too update too windows 10 tell the Government ether changes browsers  or updates to IE 11  the Government and business are very slow to adapt.  :P

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!!!!!

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!!!!!

It is MS responsibility to secure active OS and make things good to meet requirements and expectations until EOL. Linux giants are doing better than MS. If u take Ubuntu, Canonical still support and provide security and features to 14.04 which is EOL by April 2019.

Don't lie MS: You made Win 7/8.1 not to work on new hardware and pushed hardware manufacturers onto Win 10 thereby creating hardship to them and to stop supporting previous Windows OS versions. Now, you blame them.... :wtf:

We are not your disciples to accept whatever you do in this world and to technology.

Being a free users of Ubuntu, users get premium security and features until EOL. However, Windows 7 isn't free, users are being cheated.

Microsoft, Li*kUrOw*A**H*l*.:spank::chair::footinmouth::moon::tank::fight::protest::locked::duh::spam::nuke:

Enterprises and small business should think multiple times before switching to Win 10 since MS doesn't keep their promises long. However, Linux does better compared to MS.

This is a big pile of 10729-200.png  I don't even install the Windows 7 patches and my system is more secure than Windows 10 ever dreamed of being.  An OS can have a thousand holes in it but if the system is setup so that nothing can exploit those holes then the system is secure.  Patches are written for idiots who don't know how to secure their systems.  In the IT field, patches to secure the OS are a fairly new item that we never had until the advent of Windows XP, unless you were running Windows NT4.0 which had fairly frequent Service Pack updates, which numbered 7 in 3 years. And while I am being honest, Microsoft can't keep Windows 10 secure even though they are rolling out security updates every month for 'the most secure operating system ever.'  The pile just got bigger.

Windows is a virus in my opinion which I think there was something I read years ago about windows xp was built around a massive security hole which is in return a virus of some sorts. Windows OS I know the writters don't tend to remove bad code they hash it out which I'm sure just adds bloat and issues later down the road. Wishing ReactOS would get the funding they so desperately need but they wont as long as Microsoft is king. Linux is slowing knocking chips away from Microsoft but not at a fast enough pace to make a difference and Mac is dying since the death of Steve Jobs.

More FUD from Microsoft. They couldn't force, bully, or trick users into "upgrading" to 10, so now they're trying to scare them.

Even assuming for a moment that what Microsoft says is true, I'd rather take my chances with 7 and the malware bastards, than with 10 and the Microsoft bastards' shitty QA.

Still, there's always 8.1. Don't laugh... I moved to it from 7 and only replaced the tile-infested Start menu with Stardock's Start8 and it's fine. If you don't like 8.1's Modern UI, then Stardock's WindowBlinds can make it look like 7 again.

3 hours ago, D1v1n3D said:

Windows is a virus in my opinion which I think there was something I read years ago about windows xp was built around a massive security hole which is in return a virus of some sorts. Windows OS I know the writters don't tend to remove bad code they hash it out which I'm sure just adds bloat and issues later down the road. Wishing ReactOS would get the funding they so desperately need but they wont as long as Microsoft is king. Linux is slowing knocking chips away from Microsoft but not at a fast enough pace to make a difference and Mac is dying since the death of Steve Jobs.

People that just use windows dont understand this though .. I never used Windows because it had great security because it never had it to began with back before Windows XP SP2 a normal user would get infected in like 20 minutes  because it had a very bad firewall. Here was how I installed XP  back then 1st i would install Sygate Firewall  witch is the firewall known in systematic now days then i would install a antivirus  then i would turn the net on. Back then Microsoft didn't own a antivirus  they bought windows defender from Gaint Antispyware latter on . .

1.Windows Defender is not very good protection its just better than nothing ,

2.Windows Vista -Windows 10 firewall is not a very good firewall without a piggyback app ,its just better than nothing.

3 IE or Edge  is not a very good browser its just better than nothing.

4. There is no app that come  ln Windows that some 3rd party vendor dont make better of.

5 I use Windows because they have more 3rd party apps than any desktop OS not because of it's security its always been full of virus and malware.

6. if someone could make a OS that would install 3rd party Windows apps without being sued off the plant i would switch in a New York  minute but stuff like ReactOS the reviews say its unstable and very buggy so i dont even bother testing it tell it gets better reviews.

7.  After 2020 once 3rd party app devs stop doing updates for Windows 7 if you want software updates you will have to leave windows 7 so in the end its a win win for Microsoft  unless you dont use Windows at all.. .

8. You dont own Windows if you want software updates  you just rent it or steal it and after the marketshare drops out of a old version due too lack of security updates 3rd party app devs will drop it like a hot potato because if there's only going be Windows 10 it will no longer be profitable to make software for non supported OS  its already  happening  to XP  about 2 years after it got no more updates. It happened to Vista before it even ran out of updates . If i cant use certain software and take what i can get i may as well just use Linux lol. 

9. By the time Linux  reaches the marketshare Windows has ether desktops will be only used by 5% of the world or ill be dead and gone witch ever comes 1st  it took them 25 years to get 2 or 3 % marketshare . :P

8 hours ago, straycat19 said:

This is a big pile of 10729-200.png  I don't even install the Windows 7 patches and my system is more secure than Windows 10 ever dreamed of being.  An OS can have a thousand holes in it but if the system is setup so that nothing can exploit those holes then the system is secure.  Patches are written for idiots who don't know how to secure their systems.  In the IT field, patches to secure the OS are a fairly new item that we never had until the advent of Windows XP, unless you were running Windows NT4.0 which had fairly frequent Service Pack updates, which numbered 7 in 3 years. And while I am being honest, Microsoft can't keep Windows 10 secure even though they are rolling out security updates every month for 'the most secure operating system ever.'  The pile just got bigger.

Wow..

would you pm me or make a new thread about tutorial how you make a system secure, please? :D

i'm using windows 10 with latest update (patch).

i will not mind to switch to windows 7 if you say so.....

Whoops, forgot to post Woody's take, sorry...

Windows 7 is unfit for business? Yeah, sure.

Here’s my contribution to fake news. You’ve read the headline. This is what you haven’t read.

Late last week, the hardware-leaning site Myce published a translation of a Microsoft Germany PR release that says (via Google translate):

Microsoft Deutschland recommends timely changeover to Windows 10 for a secure and modern IT… One of the most successful operating systems from Microsoft is gradually approaching the end of its life cycle : the extended support of Windows 7 will be completed in three years. This means for all customers with Windows 7 PCs that from January 14, 2020 there will be no security updates, updates and no technical support from Microsoft. .. it provides for higher operating costs – for example, maintenance, lost working time due to increased malware attacks, or even increased support requests. At the same time, many hardware manufacturers no longer provide drivers for Windows 7, which means that modern peripherals such as printers are no longer recognized.

We’ve heard all of that before, and it isn’t any more true now than it was a year ago.

Windows 10 has its benefits. I use it all day, every day, and I’ve written two 1,000-page books on the topic. I’ve come to terms with its insistence on updating things when I least want them, and its ill-defined snooping proclivities. But Win10 isn’t for everybody, and scare tactics like this don’t do anything for Microsoft’s credibility.

I think Win7 is going to be around a lot longer than the author of this PR release.

Source: Windows 7 is unfit for business? Yeah, sure. (AskWoody)

Seems Microsoft have pulled that post...

Microsoft yanks post urging Windows 7 users to get Windows 10 ‘for a secure and modern IT’

Controversial claims about Windows 7’s shortcomings irked many seasoned Windows experts

Microsoft yanks post urging Windows 7 users to get Windows 10 Credit: Thinkstock

Last Friday Microsoft Germany posted a PR piece that said “Windows 7 can no longer keep up with today’s increased security requirements.” This morning that post is no longer available.

It seems Microsoft’s denigration of Windows 7 touched a sore spot.

Assertions made by Microsoft Germany—that Windows 7 has fallen behind the times, and that it’s more expensive than Windows 10 due to “maintenance, lost working time due to increased malware attacks, or increased support requests”—have been hotly debated, both from a factual standpoint and from a logistical one: Why would a company pay to upgrade an operating system that’s being supported so poorly?

You can read an English translation of a cached copy of the original Microsoft Germany PR post here. It includes such gems as this:

Windows 7 is based on long-outdated security architectures. Three years before the end of the support, corporate customers in particular should deal with the transition to a modern operating system in good time. Companies and users who are on their way to Windows 7 with their sensitive data within three years are faced with enormous dangers. Already today virtually every company has to expect cyber attacks

German blogger and Windows expert Günter Born published a fascinating rebuttal on his blog, Born’s Tech and Windows World (English translation), that dismantles Microsoft Germany’s assertions one by one. Born points to a study published two months ago by Carnegie Mellon’s CERT/CC, in which Senior Vulnerability Analyst Will Dormann shows, with a great deal of supporting evidence, that Windows 10 cannot protect insecure applications like EMET can.

The basic point is that Windows 7 with EMET 5.51 can, in some common situations, protect your operating system better than Windows 10 can. Says Dormann:

Microsoft strongly implies that if you are running Windows 10, there is no need for EMET anymore. This implication is not true. The reason it’s not true is that Windows 10 does not provide the application-specific mitigations that EMET does.

Microsoft will be discontinuing EMET on July 31, 2018.

Born goes on to say he’s been running Windows for many years, and DOS before that:

Machines with Windows XP and then Windows 7 have been a solid foundation for my SoHo business… Windows 10 isn’t what I need as a SoHo business user. It’s focused on things Microsoft’s marketing identified as “good for the company’s revenue”.

Even if you accept the idea that Windows 10 is more secure than Windows 7 (depending on how you define “more secure”), poster messager7777777 on AskWoody makes a good point:

German M$ anti-Win-7 blogpost for businesses was likely referring to the much more expensive Win 10 Enterprise E3 & E5 editions which came with better security service packages via monthly subscriptions, eg Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, Credential Guard, Device Guard, etc.

Clearly, organizations that pay for Enterprise E3 or E5 licenses, and have the staff necessary to implement and maintain the advanced security packages, will have a more formidable defense than those who run Windows 7. But that doesn’t make Win7 obsolete, and it doesn’t let Microsoft off the hook from providing security patches to Win7 for the next three years.

If you choose to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10, that’s great. But if you decide to stick with Win7, you shouldn’t be bullied by ill-conceived PR. Even if it comes from Microsoft.

Source: Microsoft yanks post urging Windows 7 users to get Windows 10 ‘for a secure and modern IT’ (InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

Archived