Win10 updates KB 3213986 and KB 3210721 have multi-monitor problems

Karlston

Other problems few and far between for the security-light 14393.693, 10586.753, and 10240.17236 patches

Win10 updates KB 3213986 and KB 3210721 have multi-monitor problems Credit: Steve Lacey

On Tuesday, Microsoft released its usual second-Tuesday round of patches for Windows 10. Win10 Anniversary Update, version 1607, KB 3213986 brings the build up to 14393.693. Win10 Fall (now "November") Update, version 1511, KB 3210721 brings the build to 10586.753. Win10 RTM (now "1507") KB 3210720 brings the build up to 10240.17236.

Reading between the lines, there was only one, minor security fix -- the KB 3214288/MS17-001 patch for Edge that cures an elevation of privilege problem when viewing a web page. Peanuts. The Security Bulletin system goes away next month, so starting in February it will likely be much more difficult to nail down security components of Win10 cumulative updates.

All three of the cumulative updates have this acknowledged "known issue":

Users may experience delayed or clipped screens while running 3D rendering apps (such as games) on systems with more than one monitor.

The official workaround is to disable the second monitor. The unofficial workaround is to simply avoid the patch.

In addition, the 1607 patch has this known issue:

The Cluster Service may not start automatically on the first reboot after applying the update.

The "Workaround is to either start the Cluster Service with the Start-ClusterNode PowerShell cmdlet or to reboot the node."

The Reddit thread for this patch has been uncharacteristically quiet, with the usual complaints about the update stalling mid-stream. Microsoft Support Engineer /u/einarmsft has a new diagnosis:

I have found a probable root cause where the symptom you describe fits the preliminary results of the log files from other affected users: an incomplete/corrupted class registered with an ATL server from a previous Cumulative Update which has caused a domino-like effect with subsequent Cumulative Updates

If you're having trouble getting the 1607 cumulative update installed, please head over to Reddit and add your log files to the collection.

Gatanui on Reddit points out that it's strange for Microsoft to release cumulative updates with known problems. Frequent poster oftheterra offers a plausible explanation:

Although they don't explain in much detail what behavior the 3D rendering issue describes, I think I know what they are talking about. If that is the case, then it is a problem that has likely been getting tracked for a while, but only presented as a known issue in these notes.

I highly doubt they would both introduce a (potentially) major issue, and be tracking it at the same time. Typically when something big comes up they'll release an out-of-cycle cumulative update in response. That means they probably don't have a clear-cut solution the an issue some users are experiencing.

I remain impressed by the quantity and quality of support Microsoft is providing on Reddit for Win10 updates.

Source: Win10 updates KB 3213986 and KB 3210721 have multi-monitor problems (InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

Win10 cumulative updates KB 3213986 and KB 3210721 have multi-monitor problems (AskWoody)

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just more Proof that the insiders program and cumulative updates  is not working at all  that they need too put updates back like they was. like in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 are were you can just  turn off updates and  uninstalled  the patch that caused it.  Now if you dont have back ups or a restore point before the update and disable updates you would have to  uninstall all updates to fix it .

I doubt very many people have windows updates disabled in Windows 10 and waits  to see what happens.. it requires thinking .. Look at all the people who got upgraded to Windows 10  from windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and had full control  of updates because they didn't think and didn't take matters in there own hands . GWX  showed how vulnerable most windows users are . 

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols predicted that once everyone migrates over to windows 10 Microsoft is going push out a update that's going to mess everyone up like a billion people at once ..  Microsoft has been really lucky is  all  so far,  that the bugs have been user specific  and i been very lucky with Red Stone 1 so far,  that none of the update bugs effected  me. But  one day they most likely will push out a update that messes everyone up when they get that billion users  they want, or maybe it will be sooner,  you dont know about  windows updates in any Windows OS  lol..

6 minutes ago, SandStone said:

Last day, after update, I was reapplying OOSHUTUP10 settings, and I noted something called "Allow remote experiments from Microsoft" in OOSHUTUP10.

I hope everything will always fine, but hope is a false myth; something wrong happen later or before with complex system.

Well it not effecting every one with Multiple monitors i just talked to a  friend who uses Multiple monitors and is a big gamer and there not having any issues so it seems very user specific.

Microsoft said "users with multiple displays", they said nothing about Eyefinity or Surround gaming.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009938/january-10-2017-kb3213986-os-build-14393-693

However all the fake news articles on the internet states, "The update effectively cripples multi-monitor gaming, using technologies such as AMD Eyefinity or NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround." which is just not true because as far as Windows knows those 3 screens, for all intents and purposes, act as one.

Also  Microsoft  says it 'may' while the fake news says  it will  'cripple'.. shows how misleading these articles are  after  talking to a friend and seeing  other post were people are not having problems at all  on another forum  seems Microsoft is right and Its another over exaggerated click bait article  wrote by many sites to get hits  . This is why you're better off going to Microsoft , Reedit , Twitter etc. and reading what was said for yourself  and take the news wrote by the Windows 10 haters club with a grain of salt.    :P

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3156974/microsoft-windows/win10-updates-kb-3213986-and-kb-3210721-have-multi-monitor-problems.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2017/01/12/win-10-patch-multi-monitor/1

http://www.gamestar.de/software/microsoft-windows-10/windows_10,832,3307903.html

http://www.pcgames.de/Windows-10-Software-259581/News/update-fuehrt-probleme-bei-nutzung-mehrerer-monitore-ein-1218042/

it all stared 2 days ago  by a article posted by techpowerup.com

Windows 10 KB3213986 Update Cripples Multi-monitor Gaming

https://www.techpowerup.com/229501/windows-10-kb3213986-update-cripples-multi-monitor-gaming

witch it  may are may not  mess it up because  it depends on certain factors ,  and it dont cripple nothing  if you unplug one its fine. and this news was over a day old when it got here .  :)

Archived