uBlock Origin and Strict Popup Blocker

Knightmare

13 hours ago, ashish1989 said:

I don't think that there is a separate filter for popups available in ublock origin

Also filters are not made specifically to block pop ups

Kind of what I was thinking

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, steven36 said:

just using policeman and  uBlock Origin in Firefox  for windows i dont get no popups  on this site

FkC7R3Y.png

All the stuff in pink it's blocking but some sites  have popunders   were you're adblocker or script blocker wont detect like TPB  and others and this were a popup blocker  works when all else fails on windows .  

I used to use Policeman but I thought it was the same as uBlock. Here are my addons:

44pIHpG.jpg

VVKOlo7.jpg

8 hours ago, rseiler said:
14 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I think the popup blocker for uBlock is disabled on all sites by default anyway.

It may be, but I can't find whether it is or not, and advanced mode is enabled.

I do see the ability to toggle the popup blocker per site, but not the overall default (if it was going to be anywhere it would be on the bottom of the Settings menu, I think).

Navigate to the Rules section (chrome://ublock0/content/dashboard.html#dyna-rules.html) to effect the following changes:—

To enable the uBlock Origin pop-up blocking:
no-popups: * true

To disable the uBlock Origin pop-up blocking:
no-popups: * false

To disable the uBlock Origin pop-up blocking on a per site basis (example — nSane):
no-popups: www.nsaneforums.com false

1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

Navigate to the Rules section (chrome://ublock0/content/dashboard.html#dyna-rules.html) to effect the following changes:—

To disable the uBlock Origin pop-up blocking on a per site basis (example — nSane):

But by doing this all necessary popups 4 the site are also blocked

In chrome I m not finding a good true popup blocker

for firefox there are many options but I do not use firefox bcoz of slow website loading

1 hour ago, ashish1989 said:
2 hours ago, dcs18 said:

But by doing this all necessary popups 4 the site are also blocked

That's exactly the whole point of the term . . . . . . . . a per site basis (also, the reason for underlining it.)

For a more finer granularity, one can also disable the pop-up blocking feature and (learn to create and) employ Custom filters to manage which element/s on a site should be allowed to pop-up and which should not — this has always been my routine of choice (helps keep my Fox light — without having to deploy additional add-ons.)

1 hour ago, ashish1989 said:

for firefox there are many options but I do not use firefox bcoz of slow website loading

Once you're done optimizing your frequently visited sites, you'll find your Firefox on steroids.

It's just a one-time exercise that lasts almost a lifetime (unless drastic changes are made to the site, in terms of upgrades to forum/site software) — check out my examples (of the 3 optimized sites, on the previous page.)

2 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Once you're done optimizing your frequently visited sites, you'll find your Firefox on steroids.

It's just a one-time exercise that lasts almost a lifetime (unless drastic changes are made to the site, in terms of upgrades to forum/site software) — check out my examples (of the 3 optimized sites, on the previous page.)

But firefox is slow as compared to chrome

and these things cannot be done to every website

Just now, ashish1989 said:

But firefox is slow as compared to chrome

Of course, it will be slow for you (I believe you) — for me, it's faster (due to obvious reasons.)

Just now, ashish1989 said:

and these things cannot be done to every website

Glad to state that I have managed to optimize all my frequently visited sites.

8 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Glad to state that I have managed to optimize all my frequently visited sites.

I have to agree. For uBlock to work optimally, we have to tailor our own rules to suit our browsing behavior. Stuffing it with all unnecessary rules is not only inefficient but could potentially slow the browser down.

i been using  a popup blocker almost  the whole time i used uBlock and never had any problem the biggest problem  is the adblock list  in  uBlock o are banned by anti adblock and when my user scripts break  to counteract it like reek  and adbypasser  i have to end up  disabling  a bunch of filters so now i'm using  2 adblockers again  i use  AdBlocker Ultimate for the banned filters  and uBlock o for non ban filters  and just disable  AdBlocker Ultimate on sites were there ban tell they fix adbypasser and i can still get around those ads lol.

Archived