uBlock Origin and Strict Popup Blocker

Knightmare

Using these addons together, I feel like I can do away with the Strict Popup Blocker. According to the documents online for uBlock, it already has a popup blocker if the popup is linked with a selected filter. Then again, I think Strict Popup Blocker works very well. I just don't want to have any conflict with them or have them be slowing down my browser. I'm using FF 50.1.0.

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uBlock Origin  dont work well on some sites for popups you can block the popups and they open and close real fast  while using a popup blocker addon will stop it . When i  1st started using uBlock Origin i didn't use a popup blocker just the one built in  uBlock Origin  and it  never worked 100%.  You can disable you're popup blocker add-on and test it and see if it's OK for you .with just enabling the one in uBlock Origin but its never been good enough for me .

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

uBlock Origin  dont work well on some sites for popups you can block the popups and they open and close real fast  while using a popup blocker addon will stop it . When i  1st started using uBlock Origin i didn't use a popup blocker just the one built in  uBlock Origin  and it  never worked 100%.  You can disable you're popup blocker add-on and test it and see if it's OK for you .with just enabling the one in uBlock Origin but its never been good enough for me .

What Steven said is 100% true , you do need a popup blocker (strict) to control those nasty JS scripts popups  that you cant fully control even  with built in blocker in fox...or with ublock !!

Not working in firefox for android

and when a popup is blocked in chrome

for few seconds chrome pdf viewer is coming automatically and closes

12 minutes ago, ashish1989 said:

Not working in firefox for android

Also in the website like www.300mbfilms.com u will not get time to block the popup

just using policeman and  uBlock Origin in Firefox  for windows i dont get no popups  on this site

FkC7R3Y.png

All the stuff in pink it's blocking but some sites  have popunders   were you're adblocker or script blocker wont detect like TPB  and others and this were a popup blocker  works when all else fails on windows .  

2 minutes ago, steven36 said:

just using policeman and  uBlock Origin in Firefox  for windows i dont get no popups  on this site

FkC7R3Y.png

All the stuff in pink it's blocking but some sites  have popunders   were you're adblocker or script blocker wont detect like TPB  and others and this were a popup blocker  works when all else fails on windows .  

what is this policeman and I m also using ublock origin in chrome then why I get popups everytime

Just now, ashish1989 said:

what is this policeman and I m also using ublock origin in chrome then why I get popups everytime

I'm using uMatrix and uBlock Origin in chrome i dont get any popups  also there's popupblocker strict  for chrome.

I'm still learning to get the best out of uBlock Origin. But i can tell you that activating advanced mode and blocking 3rd party frames and scripts has working so well for me. I don't get any annoying pop-ups anymore. It's often break web pages tho, but once you get the hang of it you'll easily know what to do.

3 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Using these addons together, I feel like I can do away with the Strict Popup Blocker.

Yes, you can do away with all other pop-up blockers if you're good at crafting your own custom filters and do not depend on the 3rd-party filters that ship with uBlock Origin.

In other words — whether uBlock Origin manages to start blocking pop-ups or not depends solely on your own expertise (3rd-party filters are not written primarily against pop-ups.)

3 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I just don't want to have any conflict with them or have them be slowing down my browser.

With 2 (or more) pop-up blockers, you will have conflicts which showdown your browser — with the uBlock Origin pop-up blocker activated, I switch-off even the native Firefox browser for a smoother experience.

33 minutes ago, trufpal said:

I'm still learning to get the best out of uBlock Origin. But i can tell you that activating advanced mode and blocking 3rd party frames and scripts has working so well for me. I don't get any annoying pop-ups anymore. It's often break web pages tho, but once you get the hang of it you'll easily know what to do.

If i block inline scripts  to block popunders  then it breaks other  sites  i need them on that i use user scripts  to bypass :P

Say if im bypasing  adhype with  adsbypasser  if i block inline scripts with uBlock Origin i will get  directed  to google instead of the next page adhype detects i have inline scripts blocked.  Also i cant even verify catchpa at spaste so using it  to block popunders block too much.

10 minutes ago, steven36 said:

If i block inline scripts  to block popunders  then it breaks other  sites  i need them on that i use user scripts  to bypass :P

Say if im bypasing  adhype with  adsbypasser  if i block inline scripts with uBlock Origin i will get  directed  to google instead of the next page adhype detects i have inline scripts blocked.

Inline scripts are often essential for website to function properly. That's why I only block 3rd party scripts and frames. I use adsbypasser too, and it works just fine. Here's some example of my dynamic rules.

* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
* googlevideo.com * noop
* jwpcdn.com * noop
* vimeo.com * noop
* vimeocdn.com * noop
* youtube.com * noop
* ytimg.com * noop

I've tried uMatrix but it offer too much for my need since i don't visit many websites nowadays.

7 minutes ago, ashish1989 said:

I blocked each request manually 

now no annoying popups

thnx to ublock origin

you can block  a lot lot of stuff with it but it blocks it on all sites were policeman or uMatrix is site specific so i always use  one or the other with ublock origin because i like more control ublock origin is limited  in advanced mode compared to the others.

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

you can block  a lot lot of stuff with it but it blocks it on all sites were policeman or uMatrix is site specific so i always use  one or the other ublock origin because i like more control ublock origin is limited  in advanced mode compared to the others.

I m not a advanced user like u buddy 

4 me ublock origin works the job

14 minutes ago, ashish1989 said:

I m not a advanced user like u buddy 

4 me ublock origin works the job

Well as long as what you didn't break things on other sites even using the advanced features of ublock origin you need to read

Advanced user mode can be enabled from the Settings tab in uBlock Origin's ("uBO") dashboard. Enable at your own risk.

If you use advanced features without fully understanding them, uBlock Origin:

• might
  • probably will

.. behave in ways unexpected to you.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Advanced-user-features

Some people think  you should  use all 3 

VzjrZ

The recommended setup I think is using all three. Noscript (in global scripts allowed) for its XSS, ABE, ClearClick protection and surrogate scripts, uMatrix  to have a finer control of general blocking and uBlock to block very specific things.

An example of something that can't be done with uBlock alone: Allow a specific site to request any image from any other 3rd party server. Such a rule can't be written in uBlock but it can in uMatrix. Oh and uMatrix gives you cookie control allowing you to decide what websites get what cookies.

But in Chrome there's no Noscript and i found the ones they have are lame compared to Noscript .

Guys, I can see that you are really experienced in dissecting all the tricky cases...

I would gladly promise a beer (and my neverending thanks) to someone who could dissect this damn thing -->

they have videos and before each one there is a nag-ad video that is 20 and sometimes 30 seconds long...

Example > 

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Unigine-Engine-Software-256895/Videos/Superposition-Benchmark-Teaser-1217567/

Someone has an idea how the generic video-ad filter for this f**r should look like ? I already spent a few hours trying but without results....

6 hours ago, steven36 said:

Some people think  you should  use all 3 

But in Chrome there's no Noscript and i found the ones they have are lame compared to Noscript .

Can you please share your experienced view about filters config of policeman in ff ? also custom rules !

8 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Yes, you can do away with all other pop-up blockers if you're good at crafting your own custom filters and do not depend on the 3rd-party filters that ship with uBlock Origin.

In other words — whether uBlock Origin manages to start blocking pop-ups or not depends solely on your own expertise (3rd-party filters are not written primarily against pop-ups.)

With 2 (or more) pop-up blockers, you will have conflicts which showdown your browser — with the uBlock Origin pop-up blocker activated, I switch-off even the native Firefox browser for a smoother experience.

Okay, I do rely on 3rd party filters. I don't know much about crafting my own filters. I think the popup blocker for uBlock is disabled on all sites by default anyway. Is there a subscription list for uBlock that is for popups?

I don't think that there is a separate filter for popups available in ublock origin

Also filters are not made specifically to block pop ups

2 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Okay, I do rely on 3rd party filters. I don't know much about crafting my own filters. I think the popup blocker for uBlock is disabled on all sites by default anyway. Is there a subscription list for uBlock that is for popups?

Well that's because uBlock Origin is actually an all purpose blocker. 3rd party filters can only block within their limited scope which does it jobs very well. But to get the best out of uBO we need to use advanced mode and create our own dynamic rules. Granted it requires some reading through uBO's wiki but i can assure you it's worth the effort. I think i can only say that much since am myself still have a lot to learn.

4 hours ago, Knightmare said:

In case you have a dependency on 3rd-party filters and lack expertise in crafting your own custom filters, you might have to invest into an additional full-fledged pop-up blocker which may potentially conflict with uBlock Origin.

It's never too late to start learning about crafting your own filters, though — some examples of custom filters which block pop-ups effectively:—

1. "A Blazing Fast, Softexia.com — Free From Malvertising"
  2. "A Blazing Fast, 2baksa.net — Free From Malvertising"
  3. "A Blazing Fast, Data File Host — Free From Malvertising"

If you don't want to learn, you could request someone else to help you out with the same since a ready made subscription list for the same does not exist.

6 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I think the popup blocker for uBlock is disabled on all sites by default anyway.

It may be, but I can't find whether it is or not, and advanced mode is enabled.

I do see the ability to toggle the popup blocker per site, but not the overall default (if it was going to be anywhere it would be on the bottom of the Settings menu, I think).

Archived