No Kidding: Windows XP Has Just as Many Users as Windows 10 in China

vissha

No Kidding: Windows XP Has Just as Many Users as Windows 10 in China

no-kidding-windows-xp-has-just-as-many-u

StatCounter shows Windows XP is shockingly popular in China

Windows XP no longer receives updates and security patches since April 2014, but for some people, this seems to be just another good reason for keeping it running on their systems.

China is one particular market where Windows XP continues to be one of the most popular desktop operating systems, despite the obvious security risks that increase every new day without patches.

Statistics provided by third-party research firm StatCounter provide us with a worrying look at how widely-adopted Windows XP continues to be in China, even though users are strongly recommended to switch to a newer OS version, such as Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10, all of which are still supported.

And what’s even worse is that despite the fact that Windows 10 was available free of charge for Windows 7 and 8.1 users, and Microsoft was so aggressive in moving users to its latest OS, Windows XP continues to be super-popular. And StatCounter claims that XP has almost as many users as Windows 10.

Windows 7 still number one

Specifically, Windows 7 is leading the pack (no surprise here) with 49.36 percent share, followed by the Windows 10 - Windows XP duo with 18.52 percent and 18.36 percent, respectively.

Windows 8.1 is so far behind that it’s almost not even worth mentioning in these stats, as it’s powering only 3.35 percent of the desktop computers in the country. MacOS is very close with 3.16 percent, while Windows 8 is installed on only 1.02 percent of the PCs in China.

It goes without saying that convincing users to migrate to the latest version of Windows is more difficult in China than anywhere else, and with Windows 7 still powering nearly 1 in 2 PCs in the country, there’s no doubt that in 2020 the software giant will once experience a Windows XP moment.

There are voices who claim that old Windows remains particularly popular in China because of pirated versions, but at this point, it’s as easy to find a pirated copy of Windows 10 as it is for Windows XP. In other words, piracy can hardly be considered a reason for sticking with Windows XP, but rather outdated hardware that doesn’t meet the requirements of Windows 10.

Source

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dMog said:

and,,,, a total of ONLY 3 operating systems are  legitimate the rest of them are pirated

Are you sure those 3 copies  were Windows?  in China  a lot use NeoKylin Linux  witch is a XP  knock off

NeoKylin includes a Start menu with a skin that looks like the Media Center version of Microsoft's famous Window XP theme. It's shamelessly identical, even down to references to My Computer, My Documents, Control Panel, and even a Recycle Bin. NeoKylin also includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint alternatives that look identical to Microsoft's counterparts, and are reportedly based on an old modified version of OpenOffice.

Dell is even selling PCs running the software in China, with more than 40 percent of its commercial PC sales shipping with NeoKylin. "The NeoKylin OS is available on Dell Latitude commercial laptops, Dell OptiPlex commercial desktops, and DellPrecision workstations," a Dell spokesperson told Quartz. It's not clear if Dell's machines run the same Windows XP skin, as there are alternative themes for the NeoKylin OS.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/9396769/china-NeoKylin-operating-system

10 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Are you sure those 3 copies  were Windows?  in China  a lot use NeoKylin Linux  witch is a XP  knock off

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/9396769/china-NeoKylin-operating-system

will keep this in mind..... thanks for the tip

5 minutes ago, dMog said:

will keep this in mind..... thanks for the tip

Well maybe they was XP or windows 7 you can buy a new PC in china With a free o/s  on it and the person who sells it too you will load what ever pirated windows you want on it maybe they were not really legit ? :P                                                                   

The other major caveat here is that it is standard practice in China, like in many countries, for a local PC seller to load up a new purchase with whatever pirated software the buyer asks for. So a Dell PC coming pre-loaded with NeoKylin does not directly translate to an actual NeoKylin user. The OS might just be replaced with a pirated version of Windows downstream.

https://qz.com/505383/a-first-look-at-the-chinese-operating-system-the-government-wants-to-replace-windows/

I got Windows 10 Pro for free via the Insider program. But I still prefer Windows XP Pro. I literally just deleted that Windows 10 OS from my SSD partition.

• 2 weeks later...
On quarta-feira, 4 de janeiro de 2017 at 7:16 PM, vissha said:

In other words, piracy can hardly be considered a reason for sticking with Windows XP, but rather outdated hardware that doesn’t meet the requirements of Windows 10.

Telemetry couldn't possibly be a reason, could it ?

Thought not ....

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Windows XP...64 bit

Blast from the past...

ftp://37.192.123.64/Soft/Windows%20XP%20Pro%2064%20+%20MUI%20Rus%20+%20KG/en_win_xp_pro_x64_with_sp2_vl_X13-41611.iso

ftp://77.120.162.198/public/soft/os/xp_64_mui_sp2/en_win_xp_pro_x64_with_sp2_vl_X13-41611.iso

1 hour ago, humble3d said:

Windows XP...64 bit

Blast from the past...

I tested Windows XP 64 bits years ago and found it buggy and unstable. I remeember that I had some serious problems with drivers and some 64 bit versions of applications didn't run on it. I understand that XP 64 bits is NOT actually a version of XP 32 bits but Windows Server 2003

Archived