Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate GT flash drive has a 2TB capacity

Reefa

Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate GT flash drive has a 2TB capacity

Kingston Digital has taken the wraps off a new flash drive with a crazy high capacity, relatively speaking: 2TB. That’s despite its small 72mm x 26.9mm x 21mm size, making it an exceptionally small way to tote around a lot of data. According to Kingston, this capacity can accommodate up to 70 hours of 4K UHD-resolution videos.

The Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate Generation Terabyte (GT) flash drive is a very small way to tote around the data you’d ordinarily need a proper external hard drive to transport. Yes, such hard drives are now available in pretty small form factors themselves, but they’re still considerably larger and less portable than this new flash drive.

The drive is made with a zinc-alloy metal casing, which makes it shock resistant in the event it is dropped. The model can also handle drastic temperatures spanning as low as -13F and as high as 140F (operating temperature), or -40F to 185F storage temperature.

The model is also available in a 1TB capacity, and features a USB 3.0 connector for fast data transfers. The mode has a five-year warranty, and is said to be compatible with all the major desktop operating systems, including macOS 10.9 and higher, Windows 7 and higher, Chrome OS, and Linux version 2.6 and higher. Price hasn’t been revealed yet.

source

• Replies 8
  • Views 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, nIGHT said:

Just a note.

This is a flash drive so it is not meant to store data for a long time.

But those who buy it won't never think about it... That's it...

7 hours ago, humble3d said:

The radio did NOT mention the price... anyone know how much it sells for ?

Kingston will be selling the DataTraveler Ultimate GT in both capacities starting next month. Pricing is unknown for now, but do not expect it to be affordable -- a 2TB flash drive should prove to be quite expensive.

Source

I just hope that this progress will influence the price of SSD to go lower.

If not then this could be a very good alternative.

The problem with large flash drives is they waste a lot of space.  They are not a storage device per se but a data transport device.  I have found that even 32GB sticks generally have a lot of wasted space on them.  I recently bought 200 8GB SanDisk flash drives just to pass out data and information on and even then found that a 4GB flash drive would be quite adequate.  Pocket size 4TB drives by Western Digital can be bought for $119 and are more suitable and cost effective for storing data.  I have found over the years that flash drives seem to pile up in bags sitting on storage shelves.  I have well over 600 flash drives at home in bags in the closet that range from 128MB (My first flash drive that cost $299) to 128GB.  This includes SanDisk Titanium metal drives, Kingston DataTraveler WorkStation Drives (Windows To Go), tiny flash drives that barely protrude like the SanDisk Ultra and Cruzer Fit drives,  to large metal drives like the Corsair Flash Survivor and LaCie XtremeKey, and flash drives that look like keys.  I find that every time I need a flash drive I reach for a new one (I have a drawer full of new flash drives) and end up putting ones with data on them in the closet eventually as they pile up on my desk.  Matter of fact I just took the time to count the number of flash drives on my desk and there are 49.  I do use small stickers that are easily removeable to identify what are on the drives, for example E2B56 indicates an Easy2Boot drive with 56 ISO images used as a repair drive.

16 hours ago, nIGHT said:

I just hope that this progress will influence the price of SSD to go lower.

Gradually and eventually...

Archived