[Solved] [C.P.U. Fan] Heat problems.

LeeSmithG

Happy new year to one-and-all, :snack:

My C.P.U. fan started to go clunky a week-or-so-ago.

So I gave it a clean, seemed to help till it finally stopped.

I gave it a nudge and it ran, till it stopped.

It was a Royal Knight ASUS C.P.U. fan.

Never noticed over heating problems.

When it stopped working I occasionally used my P.C. to check mail for around five (5) minute's and the temperature didn't get excessively higher than seventy (70) degrees Celsius. 

I also monitored resource usage on the processor as of course you all know that create heat.

A replacement fan finally arrived today, five (5) days after ordering it from amazon.co.uk, I am a prime member so was not happy with the wait.

It's a GAMMAMAXX 300, it was cheap when I ordered it at £9.99.

I cleaned processor, removed all the burnt out previous grease, last done seven (7) years ago.

I know, naughty me, but I was busy sleeping or something.

I have installed it, it's spinning, however the temperatures on the processor are higher than expected.

Currently writing this, is seventy five (75) degrees Celsius.

Resource monitor is currently breaking from forty per-cent (40%) to one hundred per-cent (100%).

Should I worry; my processor is an A.M.D. Phenom II X4 840 (Propus).

I only started checking temperatures when my other fan died, so as not to screw my system.

So any views and advice is welcome. :notworthy:

• Replies 76
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, LeeSmithG said:

Currently writing this, is seventy five (75) degrees centigrade.

Did you mean "Celsius"?!...

15 minutes ago, LeeSmithG said:

Should I worry; my processor is an A.M.D. Phenom II X4 840 (Propus).

If Celsius is the answer... Yeah, you must be worry... 71 would be the maximum temperature supported...

And what is the ambient temperature?! Thermal paste used and quantity...

Just confirm cpu temperature using this and report back...

Hi Lee:

Mmmmhhh:think:....max temp supported by the X4 840....is 71°Celsius....So be careful....:huh: 

Mainboard model....?

1) To avoid potential damage to the Cpu or other hardware turn-off your computer....

2) Check again if the Cpu cooler is proper mounted....

3) Clear CMOS and use factory default values....

Anything changed....on temps....?

-------------------------------------------------------

32 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

Did you mean "Celsius"?!...

If Celsius is the answer... Yeah, you must be worry... 71 would be the maximum temperature supported...

And what is the ambient temperature?! Thermal paste used and quantity...

Just confirm cpu temperature using this and report back...

akasa 450 silver based thermal compound.

The software you asked for, I am using it currently and my current temp is fifty four (54) degrees Celsius c.p.u. usage is anywhere from seventy (70%) per-cent to one hundred per-cent (100%).

4 minutes ago, LeeSmithG said:

akasa 450 silver based thermal compound.

The software you asked for, I am using it currently and my current temp is fifty four (54) degrees centigrade c.p.u. usage is anywhere from seventy (70%) per-cent to one hundred per-cent (100%).

Core temp is more reliable when measuring AMD processors temperatures... That's why I suggested it... 

Temps are within range by the use of processor resources...

I think you can relax for now...

1 minute ago, WALLONN7 said:

Core temp is more reliable when measuring AMD processors temperatures... That's why I suggested... 

I think you can relax for now...

Thanks for the advice, I change the double-entendre to the correct word (Celsius).

Silly error, I was thinking roasting hot.

Thanks for the advice and the help.

I think when certain software has decided to give up processor usage temps should drop to around forty (40) degrees Celsius.

Fan was a murder to install and it's spinning very fast.

2 minutes ago, LeeSmithG said:

Thanks for the advice, I change the double-entendre to the correct word (Celsius).

Silly error, I was thinking roasting hot.

Thanks for the advice and the help.

I think when certain software has decided to give up processor usage temps should drop to around forty (40) degrees Celsius.

Fan was a murder to install and it's spinning very fast.

Keep using Core Temp only for this purpose. Keep an eye on it. If you need anything, I'm at your disposal!!!

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, WALLONN7 said:

Keep using Core Temp only for this purpose. Keep an eye on it. If you need anything, I'm at your disposal!!!

Hello again thanks for your help.

I know this web space has the best members for any computer forum on the net, so your help is no surprise cool user!

My temperatures have got very low since I restored an image.

Even under thirty per-cent (30%) c.p.u. usage temperature went down to twenty nine (29).

It's currently thirty five (35) under a strain of fourteen per-cent (14%) to eighty seven (87%) per-cent usage.

I will follow your advice!

Just to add 4th Jan 2017, O&O defrag 20 x64 when stopped optimising, lowers c.p.u. temps from fifty five (55) degrees Celsius, down to thirty (30) degrees Celsius.

I restarted defrag again and it's stuck at around thirty (30) degrees Celsius.

It's queer, it's like a water torture.  :ninja:

Another update, was just schmoozing the web and my fire went from thirty nine (39) to eighty three (83).

All Celsius.

Makes me paranoid! :troll:

On 03/01/2017 at 3:12 PM, LeeSmithG said:

Another update, was just schmoozing the web and my fire went from thirty nine (39) to eighty three (83).

All Celsius.

Makes me paranoid! :troll:

I was rereading your posts and checked you forgot to provide the information regarding the ambient temperature. Please also provide the following:

1. Average ambient temperature
  2. Approximate size of free area around the case ( W x H x D )
  3. There's an exhaust fan in the case. Consider exchanging it for a larger

Israeli_Eagle
7 hours ago, knowledge said:

i just looked at my  is this ok ?

NvG9Hen.jpg

TF4MiqM.jpg

Sorry, but VID is way too high and of course also creates way too much heat. That's only 3 GHz, so........ Weird that they used such high VID, most CPUs always used only 1.25V.

So maybe try to limit the VID or at least use a very strong cooler!

11 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Sorry, but VID is way too high and of course also creates way too much heat. That's only 3 GHz, so........

Despite the VID value, with a processor load around 90%, the maximum temperature recorded was 57º... IMHO, it's fine...

Israeli_Eagle
2 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

Despite the VID value, with a processor load around 90%, the maximum temperature recorded was 57º... IMHO, it's fine...

Ok. it's not a killer........ ;)

23 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Weird that they used such high VID, most CPUs always used only 1.25V.

So maybe try to limit the VID or at least use a very strong cooler!

Its V core range is 1.05V - 1.4V. I see no reason for any modification.

Dont see nothing wrong with the vid being 1.4 same as mine... considering my graphics card is ONBOARD

Just replaced my PSU due to the thermal paste being dust...and causing my psu to blow 8years before redoing...

der1qc.jpg

Israeli_Eagle
12 hours ago, andy2004 said:

Dont see nothing wrong with the vid being 1.4 same as mine... considering my graphics card is ONBOARD

Just replaced my PSU due to the thermal paste being dust...and causing my psu to blow 8years before redoing...

der1qc.jpg

I would say underclocked. :coolwink:

Because base clock is usually 3.3 GHz.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-6100.html

And should never go low at 30+% load!

1 hour ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

I would say underclocked. :coolwink:

Because base clock is usually 3.3 GHz.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-6100.html

And should never go low at 30+% load!

Just an add...

Base clock here is the maximum reached per core. Processors usually use multipliers ( 201,28 x 16,39 - quoted cpu ), and load on demand.

Israeli_Eagle
2 hours ago, WALLONN7 said:

Just an add...

Base clock here is the maximum reached per core. Processors usually use multipliers ( 201,28 x 16,39 - quoted cpu ), and load on demand.

Sorry, but that is wrong and FX processors work quite different. Base clock is usually the lowest clock and goes down when too much load! And Cool'n'Quiet goes also usually down only when very low load (but better disabled when overclocking) to save power costs. When less load the clocks go even higher (if Turbo is enabled in BIOS), so for example FX-6100 goes up the max to 3900 MHz. So for example 35% load would usually never go under the base clock, because that makes everything only toooooooooo slow. Actually makes the CPU totally stupid and useless.

And most people also overclock usually a bit, FX is totally open and was created for that!

This is a normal example:

CoreTemp.jpg

(Moderate overclocked, Turbos off)

P.S.: Maybe andy2004 set in 'Power Options - Processor power management - System cooling policy' to Passive which is not really wise and should be Active. Passive only make sense for weak laptops, because they simply not have any real cooling. And then the clocks go down of course when it becomes more load. Only an idea...

20 hours ago, WALLONN7 said:

I was rereading your posts and checked you forgot to provide the information regarding the ambient temperature. Please also provide the following:

1. Average ambient temperature
  2. Approximate size of free area around the case ( W x H x D )
  3. There's an exhaust fan in the case. Consider exchanging it for a larger

Hello again thanks for the reply.

All fans, all four (4) of them are one hundred and twenty (120) c.m's. and I think the fan on c.p.u. is ten (10) c.m's.

I am going to change three (3) of the fans soon for new ones, amazon.co.uk got some nice red ones cheap.

Inside of unit is as clean as can be, I vacuumed and cleaned it before installing new fan.

Temperature as of writing this is twenty (20) degrees, Celsius.

Usage on c.p.u. is between eighteen (18%) and eighty seven (87%) per-cent.

Core Temp v1.5.1 says highest acceptable temperature on this processor is eighty three (83) degrees Celsius.

I have recorded that two (2) days ago.

I might change fans before the return period on this fan.

Seen some with three (3) fans on processor, for a fair price.

Above the c.p.u. fan is an exhaust fan which is one hundred and twenty (120) centimetres.

A lot of warm air is removed from my system.

2 hours ago, LeeSmithG said:

Hello again thanks for the reply.

All fans, all four (4) of them are one hundred and twenty (120) c.m's. and I think the fan on c.p.u. is ten (10) c.m's.

I am going to change three (3) of the fans soon for new ones, amazon.co.uk got some nice red ones cheap.

Inside of unit is as clean as can be, I vacuumed and cleaned it before installing new fan.

Temperature as of writing this is twenty (20) degrees, Celsius.

Usage on c.p.u. is between eighteen (18%) and eighty seven (87%) per-cent.

Core Temp v1.5.1 says highest acceptable temperature on this processor is eighty three (83) degrees Celsius.

I have recorded that two (2) days ago.

I might change fans before the return period on this fan.

Seen some with three (3) fans on processor, for a fair price.

Above the c.p.u. fan is an exhaust fan which is one hundred and twenty (120) centimetres.

A lot of warm air is removed from my system.

Considering the number of fans in your machine, among other variables, I would consider redoing the thermal paste application. I know it was complicated to place the cooler on the processor... But consider doing it when replacing the fans. No more than a "grain of rice" paste in the center of the surface is necessary to achieve the goal. Try to do this with the motherboard out of the case in order to facilitate the process of fixing the cooler. Good luck!!

• Administrator

As soon as I saw the post, the first thing that I thought was that the thermal paste is not applied properly or is not of top quality - Cooler Master Extreme Fusion X1 or Cooler Master MasterGel Maker might well be the best ever made out there. But I did not do that, as there are hardware experts out here and they have made some really nice suggestions in the above posts.

On 06 January 2017 at 0:02 AM, Israeli_Eagle said:

Sorry, but that is wrong and FX processors work quite different. Base clock is usually the lowest clock and goes down when too much load! And Cool'n'Quiet goes also usually down only when very low load (but better disabled when overclocking) to save power costs. When less load the clocks go even higher (if Turbo is enabled in BIOS), so for example FX-6100 goes up the max to 3900 MHz. So for example 35% load would usually never go under the base clock, because that makes everything only toooooooooo slow. Actually makes the CPU totally stupid and useless.

And most people also overclock usually a bit, FX is totally open and was created for that!

This is a normal example:

CoreTemp.jpg

(Moderate overclocked, Turbos off)

P.S.: Maybe andy2004 set in 'Power Options - Processor power management - System cooling policy' to Passive which is not really wise and should be Active. Passive only make sense for weak laptops, because they simply not have any real cooling. And then the clocks go down of course when it becomes more load. Only an idea...

Andy2004 didnt do anything.. I bought a motherboard bundle from Novatech, took it out the box, plugged it all in.. and just turned it on.. default settings.. i've never actually messed with the CPU settings, i only changed the boot order and clock settings in the bios.. 

Overclocking usually means higher temps.. and i didnt buy it to overclock, i bought it as it was a 6 core processor. compared to the previous processor i had which was Amd Athlon cant remember if it was single or dual core now.. So i skipped buy a quad and went for the 6core.. it maybe running slow i dont know...

Anyway... its currently running on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P motherboard.. which is maxed out on the memory side... i upgraded it from 4gb to 16gb which is the max. its got onboard graphics Radeon 3000 which is good enough currently for me.. and I'm now reading the manual to look at maybe speeding it up slightly. But it is running at a nice 23-25'c and its been running 24 x 7 for 8days 22hrs since i replaced the PSU.

Israeli_Eagle
6 hours ago, andy2004 said:

Andy2004 didnt do anything.. I bought a motherboard bundle from Novatech, took it out the box, plugged it all in.. and just turned it on.. default settings.. i've never actually messed with the CPU settings, i only changed the boot order and clock settings in the bios.. 

Overclocking usually means higher temps.. and i didnt buy it to overclock, i bought it as it was a 6 core processor. compared to the previous processor i had which was Amd Athlon cant remember if it was single or dual core now.. So i skipped buy a quad and went for the 6core.. it maybe running slow i dont know...

Anyway... its currently running on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P motherboard.. which is maxed out on the memory side... i upgraded it from 4gb to 16gb which is the max. its got onboard graphics Radeon 3000 which is good enough currently for me.. and I'm now reading the manual to look at maybe speeding it up slightly. But it is running at a nice 23-25'c and its been running 24 x 7 for 8days 22hrs since i replaced the PSU.

Power Options are settings of Windows. And any overclocking is totally useless if you simply never get the clocks.

About the motherboard... Check your BIOS version!!!

"To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section."

Maybe you also not use the right version and that might be the reason that you never get the real clocks!

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833#ov

Archived