Is it possible to trace ip locations of any user on a forum?

Mohenjo-daro

Mohenjo-daro

I recall, a few years ago, I installed yahoo messengers on my desktop and browsing the chat rooms, I entered a foreigners chat room and as I sent first message to someone, he immediately sent that he wouldn't talk to me because I am Indian. I wasn't going to hide that I am Indian but how did he find out?

I am member on several online forums, mainly defence forums and I see that sometimes people hide the actual location they are posting from and some other users (not admins and mods) call out to them for lying about their actual location. So how do they do it?

• Replies 14
  • Views 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Israeli_Eagle

If you use for example a simple connection without VPN or TOR... Yes, there are many ways! For example links to other external media or nice footers etc.

But I would not tell you all my own secrets. :coolwink:

3 hours ago, Mohenjo-daro said:

Is it possible to trace ip locations of any user on a forum?

I agree with Israeli_Eagle

Of course is, even if You use VPN or Tor or what ever You want.
On the Internet there are no secrets.

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, Kalju said:

I agree with Israeli_Eagle

Of course is, even if You use VPN or Tor or what ever You want.
On the Internet there are no secrets.

I partly not agree, sorry.

There are still secrets in this world and also real privacy, but it's not easy stuff. So for example cute apps cannot do that, for that is really needed some high knowledge about computers itself and the internet how it exactly works.

But what Mohenjo-daro asked was about users between users in a forum, so for that VPN or TOR are the minimum. This way users can only see fake IP of other users, but not the physical IP in the forum.

18 minutes ago, Kalju said:

everything depends on the user's knowledge and skills.

See @Mohenjo-daro , What @Kalju meant that even if you use protection (:tooth:a tear in poor-quality plastic)  :sneaky: for e.g. your browsing habits and talking and writing; gives it away very easily !!

Mohenjo-daro
7 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

If you use for example a simple connection without VPN or TOR... Yes, there are many ways! For example links to other external media or nice footers etc.

But I would not tell you all my own secrets. :coolwink:

Is there some simple way to find out or does it require some hacking skills? I am not sure how it can harm to let others know what country is someone posting from.

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, Mohenjo-daro said:

Is there some simple way to find out or does it require some hacking skills? I am not sure how it can harm to let others know what country is someone posting from.

No illegal hacking needed. Whenever you contact to any server or client then you use an IP, so... They are usually only not easily visible, but any semi-pro can of course get it if he wants or needs. And for that are many ways.

So you can only prevent it by using a different IP for the connection, this way VPN or TOR or both.

JohnnyBravo41

Good Morning,

this is not really related to the original topic, but how is it that for instance on this PC ( OS: Windows 7 Ult. SP1 64 bit ) that I am using that has ESET Smart Security ver. 9 on it, that I am able to easily access Nsane.Down and the Nsane forums without any problems.... but when I use another PC with the same OS and same ESET Smart   Security version, I am blocked from accessing any of  the Nsane,Down pages & forums

Same goes for my mobile phone HTC One m9 model, which I have ESET   Mobile Security on it

yet on a 3rd Computer, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro,,,,,,, using ESET Smart Security ver. 9 and I have yet to have any problems.......... I have went through all the individual settings........and have made  sure they all are set identical....

any suggestions

btw- strange that I have been here 8 to 9 years and I haven't even reached Veteran status yet, LOL

Johnny

Israeli_Eagle
17 minutes ago, JohnnyBravo41 said:

Good Morning,

this is not really related to the original topic, but how is it that for instance on this PC ( OS: Windows 7 Ult. SP1 64 bit ) that I am using that has ESET Smart Security ver. 9 on it, that I am able to easily access Nsane.Down and the Nsane forums without any problems.... but when I use another PC with the same OS and same ESET Smart   Security version, I am blocked from accessing any of  the Nsane,Down pages & forums

Same goes for my mobile phone HTC One m9 model, which I have ESET   Mobile Security on it

yet on a 3rd Computer, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro,,,,,,, using ESET Smart Security ver. 9 and I have yet to have any problems.......... I have went through all the individual settings........and have made  sure they all are set identical....

any suggestions

btw- strange that I have been here 8 to 9 years and I haven't even reached Veteran status yet, LOL

Johnny

Ooooooold stuff... :coolwink:

Use URL ADDRESS MANAGMENT -> List of allowed addresses:

*.nsanedown.com/*

*.nsaneforums.com/*

• Administrator

@Mohenjo-daro: If I can understand what you are trying to ask, then no, members have no way to know where you are from. There is a possibility that the members might be just guessing your location. Someone actually hacking the forums is possible, but not probable to do so.

Israeli_Eagle
42 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

@Mohenjo-daro: If I can understand what you are trying to ask, then no, members have no way to know where you are from. There is a possibility that the members might be just guessing your location. Someone actually hacking the forums is possible, but not probable to do so.

There are always ways in a PHP Forum... For example links to other external media or nice footers etc. :coolwink:

Think about if a user is also the owner of a (free or cheap) domain and any external stuff. So of course he could also log it and the IP.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

There are always ways in a PHP Forum... For example links to other external media or nice footers etc. :coolwink:

Think about if a user is also the owner of a (free or cheap) domain and any external stuff. So of course he could also log it and the IP.

Good point there - but I will need to verify it. We for sure will not allow it, nor will any other forums out there.

Israeli_Eagle
45 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Good point there - but I will need to verify it. We for sure will not allow it, nor will any other forums out there.

Almost impossible to prevent fully, because links or pics or whatever are nothing illegal. And that is only the easiest way...

Because of that VPN and/or TOR are a must in this present world!

• 2 weeks later...
JohnnyBravo41
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:35 AM, Israeli_Eagle said:

Ooooooold stuff... :coolwink:

Use URL ADDRESS MANAGMENT -> List of allowed addresses:

*.nsanedown.com/*

*.nsaneforums.com/*

Thank you for replying, Israeli_Eagle, Sir

but I have already double checked and verified the addressed management allowed/blocked list in advanced settings on all computers are set identically the same, this is the reason for my original post/question

Archived