Windows 7 getting pushed a Windows 10 driver update

Karlston

I think the patching world is totally bonkers. But you knew that already. Just got an email from JNP with this screenshot:

pushed-realtek-usb-driver

and I don’t know what to make of it. That’s a Windows 10 driver – released in mid-May – for the Realtek USB card reader 2.0. According to Drivermax, the Windows 7 version of the driver, version 10.0.14393.31231, was released on Oct 27, 2016. [Important note: I do NOT recommend that you download or install drivers from third parties.]

Why is a Win10 driver being pushed on a Win7 machine?

JNP continues:

When you click on the more info you get to this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows?os=windows-7 , which is the same page I got last week with those bogus updates. My fear here, is that, for some reason, WU is erroneously pushing Win 10 updates to lower OS machines. It may be true the machine could use an updated driver, that kind of makes sense regarding my post my notebook needed the USB driver, but the version numbers I wrote about in my post for the USB driver are really, really off.

As I’ve written before, my profession was as an attorney, so all I can do is try to research something and apply logic. After that, your more experienced software guys, like ch100, have to figure out what’s going on. But right now, it seems as if WU may have gotten the video drivers right, or kind of right, but there may be problems with the other drivers, USB, touchpad, etc. that some people are experiencing because WU may be giving them Win 10 updates for drivers when their OS is not Win 10.

Source: Windows 7 getting pushed a Windows 10 driver update (AskWoody)

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No more windows updates for me period! I last used WU in Sept 2016. I read about, pick and choose each update that WU offers to install, I never just let WU install everything it wants to. WU is now disabled on my Windows machines and blocked with my Firewall.

NB: IMO this kind of rogue update is intended to break win7 machines therefor making sheeples think that maybe they should go to win10. This is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!
c3f7d855598c5a0d07d47a5b1ec5e50c.jpg

29 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

driver is ok and is compatible with Windows 7, thats why is the same for Windows 7, 8.x & 10.

For Realtek's audio drivers that seems right, but not sure about their USB drivers, looks like Realtek have different ones for XP, Vista, Win7, Win8/8.1, and Win10...

http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=56&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Any links?

a lot of them are anymore and including x86 and x64 versions could you imagine an update or driver forcing a x64 on x86 or vise versa could create all sorts of instabilities. It is hard for me to consider going back to windows 7 or 8 if need be i can block all connections ingoing and outgoing through 3rd party firewalls and even my routers firewall but Windows 10 works for me and I really have nothing to hide just my vpn lol. I don't have fbi or any other entity knocking on my door I think if you live a normal life and aren't into child crap and murder robbery or the likes you will do fine oh don't hack or preach anti government stuff either just use common sense don't sell don't share and don't be silly.

8 hours ago, D1v1n3D said:

a lot of them are anymore and including x86 and x64 versions could you imagine an update or driver forcing a x64 on x86 or vise versa could create all sorts of instabilities. It is hard for me to consider going back to windows 7 or 8 if need be i can block all connections ingoing and outgoing through 3rd party firewalls and even my routers firewall but Windows 10 works for me and I really have nothing to hide just my vpn lol. I don't have fbi or any other entity knocking on my door I think if you live a normal life and aren't into child crap and murder robbery or the likes you will do fine oh don't hack or preach anti government stuff either just use common sense don't sell don't share and don't be silly.

lol  i use windows 10 and dont really have nothing too hide but still i keep Windows 10 firewalled down to the max ..it's not about the government  hacking  if they want you they will get you no matter what OS you use, they mostly hack trough  you're browser most all malware comes from there unless you just install something that was exploited. The Government is not going too write a piece of malware that's just going work on just windows 10 . It will be like other software compatible  with all Windows and maybe even Linux  and/ or MAC . The reason I block Windows 10 with my Firewall is because a. I don't want .Microsoft installing updates without my permission and b. to prevent Microsoft from making a profit  from selling my data. it has fudge all to do with all those tinfoil hat theories . 

Windows 10 connects  too the internet so much after you uninstall all that store crap  and block everything you still have Windows calling out all kinds of crap from windows updates 24/7 there no need for it  updates only come out 1 or 2 times a month also everything you have installed Microsoft checks it's certificate witch it's none of there business what i  have installed so i block all that crap.   If you're worried about being exploited and last i checked the  government  is not who's going to hack you and steal you're money. 

They are plenty  of Hackers who are no part of any Government who do it for profit just like Microsoft and other outfits build in backdoors  in there software too make a profit off you .  Don't  install stuff you dont use and block everything that calls out that don't need internet  and it cuts down on being took advantage of  also using a vpn is good because it encrypts you're traffic. If you dont fight the system the system will just feed off you and you are just another statistic that are owned by cooperate greed.     :P

1 hour ago, ASIO said:

why people hate windows 10 and they still use win 10 ?

Those who "hate" it do not...

• 3 weeks later...

I like Windows 10 just for gaming purposes it is the smoothest system to date for gaming and is about to get a massive gaming update in creators edition along with more Telemetry eliminated. You can do your best to block a lot of that shit but if you over do it you break the system which is done intentionally. I find it very bad business, but I really do not have an option for a lot of my games and programs that do not and probably will never work on Linux or I would be strictly a Linux user. I have Mint and Debian on some of my other systems for testing and tinkering/learning with the system. This bad business of lying and false advertising is all to common in every major corporation and in my eyes false advertising is false advertising and is Illegal but this bastards use bs loop holes to get away with it like ATT buying Cingular changing their name to Cingular then coming back as just ATT then buying DirecTV and going to do about the same thing now they are buying the 2nd largest cable company in the nation Charter/Time Warner talk about monopoly.

I can turn updates off in windows 10 easy so what does that got too do with it , I been installing updates for months by downloading them from update catalog  and i keep updates blocked with my firewall.  The fact is windows users dont like turning off updates or doing anything that requires user intervention  or thinking  there lazy. GWX proved this look at all the horror stories that was in the press about forced upgrades .. people will  install anything .  i have 2  pcs with windows 7  on my network and 2 with windows 10 and Linux  and i maintain 5 different desktop OS  with very little problems.. it just takes a little reading , thinking  and user intervention 

I dont hate Windows 10 i like it and I dont hate Windows 7 but i really dont like using it because i stop using it as my daily driver years ago. But i dont trust Microsoft at all and hating  on Windows 10  dont help me maintain the Linux,  Windows 10 or Windows 7 OS on my network .

Hate is not being technical  it only means you hold a resentment and that's never been of any value to anyone  in any  aspect of life. it will just cause you to die young or have bad health . And if you take Software code so serious that you love or hate it, you need to take a break and go visit the real world more often ..You have lost the pilot.

I  got fed up with the fanboys pelting each others egos long ago and Windows 10 haters are worse because they all try too boost each other egos by holding to  old software code that Microsoft owns the rights too.  one group is  just as bad as the other . In the old days all Windows users were united and that's what held sites like Nsane together all these years  and hate will be the death of  forums that allow users to spread it.  

AAcbM0z.jpg

Archived