Easy Way to List MS HotFixes Installed on Your System

46&2

Easy Way to List MS HotFixes Installed on Your System

If you have to reinstall Windows or for some other reason you would like know which ones have been previously installed on your computer, a list of the hotfixes on your PC might be handy. Some programs will include a list of updates in an overall analysis of what is on your computer. This type of comprehensive survey of your computer’s contents is worthwhile but there is also an easier way to get a list of Windows updates. This method takes advantage of the command line and requires no installation of additional software. Open the command prompt and enter this command:

wmic qfe list brief /format:htable > "%USERPROFILE%\hotfix.html"

This produces a nicely formatted list in an HTML file named hotfix.html that gets placed in the User folder. You can, of course, change the destination to some other convenient location. If there are any spaces in the name of a folder that you choose, don’t forget to wrap the destination name in quotes, as is done in the commands given in this tip.

If you would rather have a text file, the command would be:

wmic qfe list brief /format:texttablewsys > "%USERPROFILE%\hotfix.txt"

And there it is. Dont know if this qualifies as a guide or a tut as it is very short but I posted here and will let bosses move it if they desire.

• Replies 3
  • Views 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice tip that one, ill be keeping that one as a batch on my usb fixit drive

However i did get an error when using

wmic qfe list brief /format:htable > "%USERPROFILE%\hotfix.html"

It may come back with an error

Invalid XSL format (or) file name.

The solution if you get this is indicative of a wbem issue and the solution is to copy the *.xsl files from

C:\Windows\system32\wbem\en-US\

to

C:\Windows\system32\wbem\

And run the command again, you should find it works now

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting "No Instance<s> Available ." error, while following the above instructions in Win 7 x64.

Any suggestions, what might be wrong ?    :think:

Archived