Microsoft Pulls MS 3197868, The Win7 Security Rollup That Blew Apart Malwarebytes + MS 3197874 For Win8.1 Too Pulled Off(See FYI) - Updated

vissha

Microsoft Pulls MS 3197868, The Win7 Security Rollup That Blew Apart Malwarebytes

Thanks to Abbodi…

Microsoft has pulled KB 3197868. You can search for it in the Update Catalog:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=3197868

That’s right. The November Monthly Rollup for Win7 ain’t there any more.

I guess that settles the question of whether Malwarebytes or Microsoft made a mistake. Malwarebytes stated a week ago:

This false positive was caused by Microsoft not digitally signing over 500 files included in “November, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB3197868)”. Malwarebytes triggered on these unsigned files despite efforts in the 1.80 and 2.x releases to enhance safeguards and prevent false positives on legitimate files. We are working on correcting what actions took place to better protect from this in the future.

and they haven’t changed their tune.

Malwarebytes fixed the problem very quickly. If you’ve updated Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in the past week, you’re fine.

Those of you in Group A who haven’t yet applied the November patches can go ahead.

Remarkably, the Preview of next month’s Monthly Rollup is still in the Update Catalog. Sounds like Microsoft forgot to sign 500 files in the November Monthly Rollup, but remembered to sign them in the preview of next month’s Monthly Rollup.

No idea if we’ll get KB 3197868 back before the turkeys gobble.

UPDATE: On Wednesday evening, both November Monthly Rollups, KB3197874 and KB3197868, came back online. They’re marked “Last modified: 11/23/2016”. No idea why they were pulled – and Microsoft isn’t saying.

Source

FYI: November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 - (KB3197874) too pulled off. You'd now see only October 2016 Rollup in Windows Update. Hence, it is better to install Security Only Quality Rollups - Group B or Don't install any updates - Group W(C).

Update: Win 7/8.1 November Monthly Rollups - Patched 23 November 2016 are up. Group A Update now using Windows Update! Note: Microsoft Update Catalog isn't updated with patched rollup, still signed 3 November 2016.

• Replies 3
  • Views 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To began with Leonhard blamed Malwarebytes he reported it without even reading what happened its no secret  that Microsoft forgot to sign the kernel.dll file the Mod at Malwarebytes wrote about it,

Ultimately this is on Microsoft for not digitally signing their own file (you can confirm by checking the certificate properties of a file still on the system), which activated Malwarebytes' protections; it was meant to protect you from files like this.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/190637-possible-false-positive-trojan-fake-ms/?do=findComment&comment=1072859

Most likely they just signed the dll was all they had to do,. Is this the 1st time something like this  happened? NO!!! It happened to Kapersky before , Panda and no telling how many others, fact is you never know when Windows and you're security software may conflict with each other and mess up windows .

23 hours ago, vissha said:

and Microsoft isn’t saying.

Anytime, and I mean any time, that Microsoft pulls an update you can bet your last dollar it was because they f*cked it up.  They can't admit fault because that would open the floodgates of lawsuits for time lost, support costs, etc.  Those of us in Group W are setting back and laughing our butts off at all the Group  A idiots.  Actually, since it was announced that if a security only update needed to be updated itself that instead of adding it to the next security update it would only be in the next quality update so those applying security only updates would never get the fix.  And here is Microsoft sticking it to you with that big RED(mond) wienie again.

They been having too reissue  patches for years that's one think I can say about Linux they have updates  but hardly ever i knew of them reissuing a patch ..I have manjaro linux set to unstable updates were i get updates almost everyday and most the time everything goes fine if it dont i can just downgrade to testing  or stable  buy just using pacman, I also have Linux mint were updates are always very stable .  but windows I dread to even see updates coming there slow and take forever to install they claim they are going too fix this in redstone 2  were updates want be so big anymore but i always take what they say with a grain of salt .

Archived