Android User Locked Out Of Google After Moving Cities

image.jpg

Image Courtesy: Techworm

An Android user has been locked out of his Google account apparently because he moved cities, according to a post on Reddit.

The explanation offered by Google support staff was that since his address details differed, billing information with Google wasn't current and hence the user's purchases could look fraudulent.

The user in question does not know for sure that this is the reason; during his interactions with Google support to find out why he had been locked out, he was told that

"It is our policy to not discuss the specific reasons for an account closure."

This, apparently, is official Google policy.

When asked what he could do, he was initially directed by Google staff to a site where he had to scan his driver's licence and credit card and told that he would have to wait 24 hours to get his account unlocked.

But after this time passed, he was told that the account would not be unlocked and Google would not tell him why.

He was advised to abandon his old account and start a fresh one.

However, this meant he could not use the credit card that he had used on the old account and would have to obtain a new one to continue using Google's services. All his previous purchases would not be transferred to the new account, he was told.

An email he sent to Google support resulted in the following reply:

"We understand you would like your account reinstated. As previously stated, per the Google Payments Terms of Service, we reserve the right to change, suspend or discontinue any aspect of the Services at any time, including availability of the Services or any Service feature, without notice and without liability."

Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well///one could also argue that when the guy moved to another city, he could have changed his google account  information to inform google he moved, as he most likely did to his bank and credit card companies so they would deny him service either  ....and then he would not  have HIMSELF to blame for this... as usual, i would also say that id this is true there is much more to this story then what  has been said so far..... it is just like if you have recurring payments coming out of a bank account or off a credit card ..and you change banks or get a new credit card because the old one expired, you cannot blame the company that is not getting paid any more for denying  the product or service you should have paid for is  that companies responsibility to get the payment info or change of address done in a timely mannor...or yours ,,,big hint,,,yours

I had problems  with  getting locked  out these sorts of accounts every since I started  using a VPN  i once used gmail  and others back around 2011. I dont use a cell phone to access the internet ever and stop signing in to these places because of the hassle. I got emails that dont lock me out now because of my IP  . Just like Ive used Windows since 2001 and never kept a Microsoft account .  To come to think of all the hassle was what drove me over the edge  to stop using all this crap  like to IM  , email , etc . I dont even think Facebook blocks people for using a different IP because they have tor access for there site even.

When money is changing hands there has to be quick and easily verifiable way of proof of who you say you are and where the money is coming from...and if it is not hacked  bank/credit card account..I do agree tho that google needs to so something so the guy does not lose all his purchased apps ... but again, this shows the need to be big boys and girls and look after ourselves with  our own due diligence for stuff like this... All this guy had to do was change his personal info when he moved...that takes all of  what, 23 seconds per site to change your address...or your  payment info when that changes.

• 2 weeks later...

per the Google Payments Terms of Service, we reserve the right to change, suspend or discontinue any aspect of the Services at any time, including availability of the Services or any Service feature, without notice and without liability."

Google officially saying that they don't care about the users. that "without notice and without liability" part is really bullshit 

Archived