HTC Might Sell Its Smartphone Business in 2017

vissha

HTC Might Sell Its Smartphone Business in 2017

Four companies are interested in the purchase

As much as it pains us to admit, HTC has been doing very bad when it comes to revenues from its smartphone business. That's most likely one of the reasons that the Taiwanese company accepted to to build Google's Pixel phones in the first place.

A new rumor now claims the company has already decided to sell its smartphone business, which was bleeding money for a few years now. Ms Cher Wang, HTC general manager, is said to have already sent a message to her closest collaborators that the smartphones business will be sold in the spring, next year.

Even though the Taiwanese media reports that HTC has denied these rumors, analysts claim that this is exactly what companies usually do before signing up the sale agreement.

The same source state that there actually four companies interested in buying HTC's smartphone business and one of the them is from Taiwan, the handset maker's home turf.

htc-might-sell-its-smartphone-business-i

But would anyone be surprised if Google purchases HTC after the Taiwanese company rented its skills to manufacture the Pixel phones? It won't be the first time that the search giant acquires an important brand in the smartphone industry.

Although it's a bit far-fetched at the moment, we won't know for sure until next year when HTC is supposed to make an official announcement regarding its smartphone division.

If there's any truth in these rumors, HTC won't admit that its smartphone business is up for sale until it finds a buyer and, eventually, signs the sale agreement.

It's also worth noting that this isn't the first time that reports about HTC's attempt to sell its mobile division, so if it didn't happened in the previous cases, they could be wrong this time as well. So, take these rumors with a grain of salt until we get official word about the matter.

Source

• Replies 1
  • Views 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been very on edge with regards to HTC.

Still running the One M8. I chose that device because at the time nothing could beat a 46ms Touch Screen Latency.

Nowadays the iPhone 6s Plus is king at something like 23ms.

I can "sense" HTC dropping support for the m8 very soon as GPE / Sense will not be updated to 7.0 Nougat although GPE still gets security patches.

My viewpoint is that HTC 10 / Pixel's would be real nice - Just cannot justify a non-removable battery no more. Screw skinned android. AOSP/CM B)

These are good phones for touchscreen latency

Nexus 6P (35ms)

Galaxy S6 (35ms)

-- Source is Reddit

• iPhone 6S Plus - 23ms
  • Galaxy S6 - 35ms
  • Huawei P8 - 35ms
  • Moto G3 - 35ms
  • HTC M8 - 46ms
  • iPhone 6 - 65ms
  • iPhone 6 Plus - 67ms
  • OnePlus One - 67ms