Intel may offer an unclocked Core i3 processor in its upcoming 7th-gen lineup

Batu69

Intel is gearing up to unleash its seventh-generation “Kaby Lake” desktop processor lineup very soon. We’ve already seen in past reports that the company will include unlocked Core i7 and Core i5 K-Series processors capable of manually overclocked speeds. Now another report claims that the company will throw in a Core i3 K-Series variant too, providing the mass market with an affordable chip that can be safely overclocked outside its factory-set limits.

As reported by Wccftech, the specific overclockable Core i3 model will be the Core i3-7350K. Here are the specs as we know them thus far:

Process node: 14nm Plus
Number of cores: 2
Number of threads: 4
Base clock speed: 4.0GHz
Max clock speed: 4.2GHz
L3 cache: 4MB
Max power draw: 91 watts
Parent socket: LGA 1151
Price: $180

Notice that this processor will be based on the latest 14nm “Plus” process node, which builds upon 14nm FinFET process technology that shrinks processor components down to an incredibly small size using fin-shaped transistors. The “Plus” version provides better processor performance and improved power efficiency over the older manufacturing process.

This specific processor will mark Intel’s return to offering the general population an affordable, overclock-capable Core i3 processor. It will be one of 20 seventh-generation processors Intel is expected to reveal during CES 2017 in January, if not shortly before. It will also serve as one of three unlocked K-Series processors in the upcoming Kaby Lake rollout supporting overclocked speeds.

That said, here are the other two “K” models in the upcoming lineup:

Core i7-7700K Core i5-7600K
Process node: 14nm Plus 14nm Plus
Number of cores: 4 4
Number of threads: 8 4
Base clock speed: 4.2GHz 3.8GHz
Max clock speed: 4.5GHz 4.2GHz
L3 cache: 8MB 6MB
Max power draw: 91 watts 91 watts
Parent socket: LGA 1151 LGA 1151
Price: $350 $240

All three will serve as Intel’s fastest chip in each of the three upcoming seventh-generation i3/i5/i7 processor categories. So far, Intel appears ready to include two additional, “locked” chips in the Core i7 family, six models in the i5 family, and four models in the i3 family. The seventh-generation lineup will also consist of five Pentium-branded models with two cores and an overall maximum base speed of 3.7GHz.

Previously, Intel offered an affordable overclock-ready processor to the general consumer with the launch if its Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258 model. That chip hit the market in the summer of 2014 as part of Intel’s “Haswell Refresh” lineup for desktops. Packed with two cores built using 22nm process technology, the chip has a base clock speed of 3.20GHz and a maximum power draw of only 53 watts. The chip still has a very reasonable pricetag of $72.

Intel will officially introduce it’s seventh-generation desktop processor lineup soon. Previous rumors point to January’s show, but there’s a real good chance we may see the lineup just before the Las Vegas electronics tradeshow.

Article source

• Views 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived