Is this CPU still relevant?

mclaren85

Hello dear friends,

I have an Intel core i7-3632QM processor in my laptop. Do you think it is still competitive to contemporary cpu's as of 2016? Or should I replace it? I play games occasionally.

You can check this link if you want to learn more about i7-3632qm:

http://ark.intel.com/products/71458/Intel-Core-i7-3632QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-rPGA

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mclaren85 said:

Hello dear friends,

I have an Intel core i7-3632QM processor in my laptop. Do you think it is still competitive to contemporary cpu's as of 2016? Or should I replace it? I play games occasionally.

Play less and read more, then do not ask such strange questions more.

10 hours ago, davmil said:

Odds are you can't get the CPU out of a laptop's motherboard anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I've already removed my CPU for cleaning and reapplying thermal paste. It is not soldered to motherboard.

9 hours ago, Kalju said:

strange questions more

Thanks but I do not think that the question was strange at all. According to benchmark results, my cpu's score is 6929 while the newest i7 "u" series cpu is only 4761. Quite interesting to me.

1.PNG

2.PNG

It is strange in the sense that you can not change the CPU only, can replace a motherboard or whole computer.  

(Maybe You see, even the sockets are different)
If you thinking on it, that you have the 2008 version, you will note that five years in electronics,

it is like an eternity in another life. Simply electronics changes are so fast.

u mean ultra low power spec  for longer battery life..

Also note the newer model is a dual core processor..

of course it will perform  slower than a quad core...

look for an i 7 with 4 or more cores

different generation processors will not be interchangable because of 

different pin numbers and voltage

for a newer proc you need change almost everything.. newer memory newer mobo, newer psu etc or a new laptop as a whole

@mclaren85 if you play games, then the question is can your laptop still run those games?

In your case, I bet it won't run all the latest games as there are 2016 games that runs in 4K, that needs a powerful gaming desktop to run.

Laptops won't run those games as it has limits.

If you play games that is not that high in system requirements then your laptop is still fine.

If it won't run a game or two then either find another game or you should be thinking of buying a laptop is really worth the trouble and will it run that game, cause you probably need a gaming desktop.

Most games still does not use multiprocessing so your cpu is still good to go.

What really matter for most games is the dedicated GPU part.

If you play online games then there is a chance your laptop is still good to go since most are of low to mid in system requirements.

Just try to play it in the lowest settings first to see if your laptop is able to run it.

On 11/12/2016 at 8:16 PM, mclaren85 said:

Hello dear friends,

You can check this link if you want to learn more about i7-3632qm:

http://ark.intel.com/products/71458/Intel-Core-i7-3632QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-rPGA

Its not a strange question, yes you can swap the CPU out with out changing the motherboard. Some laptops you can't but i'd say most you can. Looks like you have already done some research. Some people in this thread make me cringe I don't understand why people need to spend the 2 seconds to troll the post with not very helpful things to say like READ don't play games... STFU ... give me a damn break lol Anyways like some helpful people have told you you wont be able to play current games like COD, Fallout 4, Titanfall 2, but you should be able to play alot of last gen games no problem. Change the CPU wont give you that much of a boost unless you are getting a better integrated GPU form Intel. Just make sure you do the research stay in the same CPU socket type and wattage you should be fine. If not return the CPU you buy sell the laptop put that money towards a better PC bud GOOD LUCK!

still relevant, focus on upgrading ram if possible, or take SSD ehehehe :P

• 2 months later...

I installed SSD and my pc is flying now! Incredible!

Archived