Need Help upgrading my Old Desktop - Indian Guys

Mohenjo-daro

So I have an old Desktop and budget of Indian Rupees 18000-20000.

Below are some spec of my Desktop

Intel core2 duo processor
Intel motherboard
2 gb ram ddr2
250GB Hard disk

I don't much about hardware/software. I would like to upgrade ram to 10-12 GB.  I will be installing VM on top newly upgraded PC ( i.e servers/vm stuffs)
Please suggest suitable configurations

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

u'll most likely be unable to put that much RAM on your motherboard... if u're lucky u might get to 4 GB but your BIOS will only see 3 GBs.

do not use VM on that machine.

Need more specific details of your hardware.  Make and model of motherboard and RAM and what BIOS your motherboard is currently running.  Also which Intel CPU?

Thats not upgradable... so you can sell your CPU.

becuz .. Intel core2 duo processor  support max 4 GB RAM.
you need new gen processor i.e i3,i5,i7 to have 10-12 GB RAM. 
:/

18k- 20k is enough .. you can get i5  (5th gen)  8-10GB DDR3  RAM , 1TB HDD
dont buy online ... check nearby in your city. you can get it.

14 hours ago, Mohenjo-daro said:
Spoiler

So I have an old Desktop and budget of Indian Rupees 18000-20000.

Below are some spec of my Desktop

Intel core2 duo processor
Intel motherboard
2 gb ram ddr2
250GB Hard disk

I don't much about hardware/software. I would like to upgrade ram to 10-12 GB.  I will be installing VM on top newly upgraded PC ( i.e servers/vm stuffs)
Please suggest suitable configurations

You can put what ever in there, it will never be better than it is now. 
You can use any x86 (32-bit) OP system and that is all.
It may be possible to install also x64, but it depends on CPU, but it may work much slower and also then is min needed RAM 3GB.

I forgot, you do not said, what processor there is and therefore, may also be a problem that can not be installed Win8 or higher, it is directly dependent on the processor.

15 hours ago, Kalju said:

You can put what ever in there, it will never be better than it is now. 
You can use any x86 (32-bit) OP system and that is all.
It may be possible to install also x64, but it depends on CPU, but it may work much slower and also then is min needed RAM 3GB.

I forgot, you do not said, what processor there is and therefore, may also be a problem that can not be installed Win8 or higher, it is directly dependent on the processor.

20 hours ago, Juhi said:

Thats not upgradable... so you can sell your CPU.

becuz .. Intel core2 duo processor  support max 4 GB RAM.
you need new gen processor i.e i3,i5,i7 to have 10-12 GB RAM. 
:/

18k- 20k is enough .. you can get i5  (5th gen)  8-10GB DDR3  RAM , 1TB HDD
dont buy online ... check nearby in your city. you can get it.

Thanks everyone for their answers and sorry for late reply.

If I buy an i5 processor, will I be able to install 10 GB or more ram?  Can I also upgrade my graphics later sometime then which can run latest games and use VM? How much maximum ram does 13, i5 and i7 processor supports and which of these are best? I have heard that i7 has heating problem, is it true? My computer model is compaq presario sg3550il that I want to upgrade. I don't want to buy a new computer unless the upgrade would cost more than buying a new PC.

You can use more than 4GB RAM only on 64-bit pc-s. If You have x86 (32-bit) OS, then the limit is 4GB, but also it cannot be used never. This is Windows x86 limitation and it cannot be changed by different reasons.

If use x64 (64-bit) system, You can add as much You want.

9 minutes ago, Kalju said:

You can use more than 4GB RAM only on 64-bit pc-s. If You have x86 (32-bit) OS, then the limit is 4GB, but also it cannot be used never. This is Windows x86 limitation and it cannot be changed by different reasons.

If use x64 (64-bit) system, You can add as much You want.

Isn't the limit of RAM that can be used also dependent on processor besides the operating system? I was told by someone that it doesn't even depend core processor and that it's the motherboard that limits total amount of ram that can be used?

The hp website says that my computer ram is expandable upto 4 GB but you are saying that I can add as much as I want if I use x64 bit systems. Are you sure having x54 bit is enough to add any amount of ram?

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01533002

There is two slots as I can see and usually is used 1GB or 2GB (by default), but if You can find for example two 4GB what these sockets supports and also must PC2-5300 (667 MHz) or PC2-6400 (800 MHz) (the frequency is important and  recommended that the frequency is the same for both of them), then You can use them and will get 8GB. But to get more, it is already very questionable in given/this case.

But I have a little doubt, perhaps it is not wise to begin to experiment, It is too old and  everything may not be possible.

1 hour ago, Kalju said:

There is two slots as I can see and usually is used 1GB or 2GB (by default), but if You can find for example two 4GB what these sockets supports and also must PC2-5300 (667 MHz) or PC2-6400 (800 MHz) (the frequency is important and  recommended that the frequency is the same for both of them), then You can use them and will get 8GB. But to get more, it is already very questionable in given/this case.

But I have a little doubt, perhaps it is not wise to begin to experiment, It is too old and  everything may not be possible.

Sir, The memory section speaks of 2 GB DDR2 DIMM sockets. I am not sure what DDR2/3 DIMM etc means but when I first read, I got the impression that it probably supports only 2 GB on single stick and thus a maximum of 4 GB. 

Memory

1 GB

• Amount: 1 GB

• Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec

Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel memory architecture

• Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets

• Supported DIMM types:

• PC2-5300 (667 MHz)

• PC2-6400 (800 MHz)

• Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

• Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs

Sorry if I am wrong but if my Desktop indeed supports 8 GB of RAM, what is indicated by the part that says 2GB DDR2 DIMMs. Just confirming again because if my PC really supports 8 GB, then I guess, I can run x64 bit operating of latest WIndows 10 as well without any problem.

I do not know how to tell you this, but I believe that in 2008 there was no bigger RAM than a 1GB and 2GB available. This may be the reason why it is written so.
In fact, you can put what ever, if the slot and the frequency of fits.

But I think that You will not get any more it run faster, because there is as well the operating frequency of the CPU and Bus speed low.

58 minutes ago, Kalju said:

I do not know how to tell you this, but I believe that in 2008 there was no bigger RAM than a 1GB and 2GB available. This may be the reason why it is written so.
In fact, you can put what ever, if the slot and the frequency of fits.

But I think that You will not get any more it run faster, because there is as well the operating frequency of the CPU and Bus speed low.

What if I replace motherboard first and the processor, RAM and graphics afterwards, will it improve my PC's performance and run faster?

4 minutes ago, Mohenjo-daro said:

What if I replace motherboard first and the processor, RAM and graphics afterwards, will it improve my PC's performance?

Then you'll build a new computer. Remains of only an old box, power supply, and some screws.

3 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Then you'll build a new computer. Remains of only an old box, power supply, and some screws.

But it'll still cost less compared to purchasing new computer I suppose. Thanks alot for the help. :D

• Administrator

@Mohenjo-daro: First of all, I agree what is written above, get a new computer. Also, not a branded one, branded ones cost more and inspite of showing higher model in the parts, they usually contain cheaper model of parts, specifically made for companies making ready made PCs. Though really costly right now, I personally think you should get a computer which supports DDR4 RAM. When DDR3 RAM gets outdated, it will be really expensive to buy. But this is optional.

Second is, CPU and motherboard need to be upgraded together. Motherboards contain a CPU slot which fit only the CPUs made for that motherboard and CPU generation. You cannot upgrade just the CPU and then motherboard later and such. Both motherboard and CPU need to be compatible with each other.

Third is, the amount of RAM newer motherboards support might be around 32GB or more, though I have not checked it specifically.

Fourth, most of the Intel CPUs come with a really cheap and non-powerful not made for gaming GPUs build-in the CPU itself. Whenever you want, you can get a graphics card and install it into the PCI-E slot and such.

Fifth, the difference between your computer and modern day computer is really really big. Just to give you an example, your CPU contains 230 million transistors in it. Whereas, latest Intel Skylake processor contains around 1.4 billion or even more transistors in it. Just think about how fast the computer will be here.

15 hours ago, DKT27 said:

@Mohenjo-daro: First of all, I agree what is written above, get a new computer. Also, not a branded one, branded ones cost more and inspite of showing higher model in the parts, they usually contain cheaper model of parts, specifically made for companies making ready made PCs. Though really costly right now, I personally think you should get a computer which supports DDR4 RAM. When DDR3 RAM gets outdated, it will be really expensive to buy. But this is optional.

Second is, CPU and motherboard need to be upgraded together. Motherboards contain a CPU slot which fit only the CPUs made for that motherboard and CPU generation. You cannot upgrade just the CPU and then motherboard later and such. Both motherboard and CPU need to be compatible with each other.

Third is, the amount of RAM newer motherboards support might be around 32GB or more, though I have not checked it specifically.

Fourth, most of the Intel CPUs come with a really cheap and non-powerful not made for gaming GPUs build-in the CPU itself. Whenever you want, you can get a graphics card and install it into the PCI-E slot and such.

Fifth, the difference between your computer and modern day computer is really really big. Just to give you an example, your CPU contains 230 million transistors in it. Whereas, latest Intel Skylake processor contains around 1.4 billion or even more transistors in it. Just think about how fast the computer will be here.

I couldn't agree more...

• don't invest in your current rig... it's already at it's best for it's generation.
  • as @DKT27 said regarding the "branded ones" : these are made of OEM parts which are way weaker in performance than retail parts even if they are the same generation (emphasis on GPU and CPU).
  • if u decide to get a new one, u should get it in retail components or find a decent upgradable branded one.

Archived