Reasons Not to Buy the New MacBook Pro

steven36

PKYrifg.jpg

Like many loyal Apple customers, I’m greatly disappointed by the 2016 MacBook Pro upgrades, especially for the 15″. Here are the most important reasons not to upgrade at this time:

• Expensive, the base cost is $2,399, an increase of $400 from before.
  • No low end version of the 15″ MacBook Pro. The lower cost 15″ at $1,999 is more than a year old and only moderately faster than my 2013 laptop.
  • iPhones can’t connect to the MacBook Pro without yet another dongle
  • Performance improvement for common tasks is incremental, not worth the price increase
  • The critically important magnetic, break-free MagSafe adaptor is gone
  • The built-in SD card slot is gone so you’ll need a peripheral to upload camera photos
  • The headphone jack won’t work with your new lightning-based iPhone 7 headphones
  • A lot of developers are frustrated that the memory limit remains at 16 GB due to battery life issues
  • No USB 3 ports: external hard drives, thumb drives et al. now require a dongle
  • Reduced key press like on the MacBook
  • No power extension cable like they’ve always had
  • Space gray is for Windows laptops

The positives just don’t outweigh all the above negatives. Michael Tsai has the best rundown of developer frustration I’ve read (via Daring Fireball).

Source::

http://jeffreifman.com/2016/11/02/reasons-not-buy-new-macbook-pro/

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My all time reason: I can get an excellent 17.3" laptop with latest standards in HD, RAM and CPU for 400 - 800 USD and most apps I need are readily available as freeware or medicated-ware and on the other hand, MAC has a lot of nice features for my money I really don't need

1 minute ago, luisam said:

My all time reason: I can get an excellent 17.3" laptop with latest standards in HD, RAM and CPU for 400 - 800 USD and most apps I need are readily available as freeware or medicated-ware and on the other hand, MAC has a lot of nice features for my money I really don't need

It has a lot of less features  now unless you're looking at a older one ..less features and more money  now we know why Microsoft decided  to start making high end  computers  lol

Just put E OS  on witch looks like MAC  and it would be much more dependable .. There's a lot cons to a Hackintosh I read a lot before I make decisions  .

There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First and foremost is long-term stability and reliability, which is a major sticking point for professional users who rely on this equipment to generate income. Hackintoshes have gained a bit of a reputation over the years as being unreliable compared to their authentic Apple counterparts, and when you factor in all of the things that can go wrong with a Hackintosh -- everything from botched OS updates to Apple dropping compatibility for certain components -- it's easy to be wary of going the Hack Pro route when looking for a professional editing and post-production workstation.

Another consideration to make between these two systems is the display and the value that you're getting with each one. Apple's new 5K Retina Display is already widely considered one of the premiere high resolution displays on the market, and many of the competing high-end displays still cost nearly as much as the base model 5K iMac, although that's changing as the technology becomes more widespread. There are currently less expensive 4K displays on the market, but many of them don't even come close to the 5K iMac in terms of overall display quality. Then when you factor in the speed of the computer that's included at that $2,500 price point (for the base-model iMac) and the thin integrated design, it's hard not to see the iMac as the better bargain, especially if display quality is an important factor in your decision-making process.

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/01/comparing-maxed-out-5k-imac-hackintosh-which-one-comes-out-top

Maybe in some hipster's life that would matter..but i'm a pirate were we could care less about the 5k  were 480p -1080p  is still very much alive  the naked eye cant see but so much no ways and from all  the years  at looking at  a PC display  my eye site has got  bad... When I make a  investment I buy a PC that comes with windows that I dual boot it with Linux witch I dont want it too look like a MACOS by the way.  and I have a 1080p display and i save loads of money and I'm  not locked down like MAC PCs are they cant even change a part and I dont have to worry about my system blowing up because I hacked it with a Apple O/S :P

LOL you can tell you dont use apple  . You talk about how nice a Display is when most Apple users are talking about jumping ship and moving to Linux or maybe  windows because of these MAC Book Pro 2016 .Most Apple users dont have a bit of loyalty  it seems. They can buy a normal PC  install Linux or use windows and buy 2 (4 K ) Displays  for that price.  Most who use Apple is angry ,  So i dont get you're point they want sell any of them much... that article the part talking about displays is talking about MAC BOOK Pro 2015  its not relevant to MAC PRO 2016 because they removed all those features I posted in the OP. that's   what makes the apple sour . :P

You can buy chrome book for a few 100 bucks and put E OS  on it and looks like MAC OS

How to Install Ubuntu Linux on Your Chromebook with Crouton

http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

The new Mac Books should boost this number a bit over the coming months. Lots of people saying they're jumping ship. Probably mostly just talk, but I'm sure Linux will gain a few new users.

I went from Apple to Linux. Mac OS is like an introduction to *nix, and Linux is the ice water when Apple's walled garden hell starts to grate on you.

I am one of those converts. I put my money where my mouth is! http://imgur.com/a/tQrYL

Honestly, the new Ubuntu releases are totally usable by a grandma with no tweaking out of the box. It'll run Facebook and email and Netflix all day with no effort. Past that, maybe. But still far less than even two or three years ago.

Yeah, I'm not really a windows fan. Will probably switch to a chrome book with arch after this macbook dies.

Chromebook is real treat when it comes to that good 3:2 display. its impossible to find laptop these days not 16:9. Too bad all laptop with 3:2 displays too costly.

You make no sense Mac Books have always been expensive , people who buy apple have to have a lot of money for what a Mac book cost  you could of bought  2 pcs  even back in the early 2000s when PCs were like a 1000 bucks now days you can buy a Chromebook for a few 100 and install linux on it and have a good  portable  computer.

On 11/3/2016 at 5:22 AM, steven36 said:

When I make a  investment I buy a PC that comes with windows that I dual boot it with Linux witch I dont want it too look like a MACOS by the way. 

Amen to that. I see no reason to buy anything from Apple. Staying away from their environment is already a good idea.:)

Once upon a time, there was a guy who had not enough money to buy a nice car.

He used to drive an old/low-end car.

Moreover, he verbally-attacked the ones who drove impressive cars by

keep repeating that "they wasted their money", "they could have bought 5 cars

with the money they spent on the single expensive car" etc.

One morning, he earned a Lottery-Jackpot!!!

-What was the very-first thing he did with his money?

He went and bought an expensive car!

<Inferiority complex>

has been a fascinating area in Behavioral Studies...

LOL , that x apple user above above paid  almost as much for there PC as a MAC OS just to put a open source OS on it , you go to the  Phoronix all kinds of nerds pay lots for a computer to put Linux on.  Me I already have 2 computers  one I bought last year . In real life I only know one person who has MAC OSX  and it's my Nephews'  wife and I was talking to him because he went to school to work on computers and he told me I didn’t want one. Since I know him all his life and trust him and I don’t know  who ever wrote that study from Adam and don’t trust them, and there's all kinds of nice cars at my house.my Opinion is still  the same, would not buy one no matter how much money I had, Id spend it  on a nice vacation . And I could get  a Mac OS if i wanted  if I saved up too do it . But I don't roll like that.  

I like the the internet  but my PC does everything I want too already. I like doing Offline stuff on computers as much as online  . But I do realise the internet  don’t make me no money  It don’t  even make my Nephew no money good  he took business too  because old people already have most of those jobs.  there's more too life than computers  that id like too if i had a lot of money . Why would i want to waste my money on something I already have that can do what I want? .I'm not rich but i'm not hurting ether.

Most people who buy Mac are Developers who need it to work on IOS 

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/best-mac-app-development-iphone-ipad-mac-mini-imac-3449754/

I'm not a dev  for Mac or Windows  All i do is beta test and donate too open source. There the  ones who's angry about it ,  not me  I don’t need it too make money. I been online 15 years and never owned nothing made by Apple ..

The reason I use the Internet is to stay out of trouble ..I've stayed other places and left my computer behind  it's not something I have too have even :P

It  was also said

Q;

Everybody has their pet gripes about one or the other, but I'm curious if there is any actual science showing that "The Windows Way" or "The Mac Way" is significantly better for some task.

Just to be extra clear: I do not want to know what you think is better, or even what great designers think is better: I want links to and summaries of peer-reviewed scientific literature. I will also accept studies concluding "approach X is better than approach Y," where it is clear that Mac does X and Windows does Y, even if the study does not specifically mention either. Bonus points for studies that throw in Gnome, KDE, or other lesser-known (but real!) graphical user environments.

Everybody has their pet gripes about one or the other, but I'm curious if there is any actual science showing that "The Windows Way" or "The Mac Way" is significantly better for some task.

Just to be extra clear: I do not want to know what you think is better, or even what great designers think is better: I want links to and summaries of peer-reviewed scientific literature. I will also accept studies concluding "approach X is better than approach Y," where it is clear that Mac does X and Windows does Y, even if the study does not specifically mention either. Bonus points for studies that throw in Gnome, KDE, or other lesser-known (but real!) graphical user environments.

A.

I think your search will be a tough one. Academics don't typically conduct competitive analysis between two specific, competing brands. What they may research is different implementations of a UI concept or interaction pattern or feature, and in those studies you might find that the Mac or Windows way wins out. It's not that info isn't out there, but the lens you're looking through to find it doesn't line up with the way the research is done.

Beyond that, PhillipW's suggested search is a good lead that might bring you to some industry research, though it likely won't meet the peer-reviewed test you're looking for.

http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/11165/studies-showing-significant-usability-differences-between-windows-and-mac-os-x

So comparing  OS to cars is a bad example since there's no scientific research on the differences.  other than some Windows users gripe about  Windows and some Mac users gripe about mac lol.

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Most people who buy Mac are Developers who need it to work on IOS.

Don't the following look like "Developers"?

xc8hb7zc32dy1czv4t1db_s.jpg

xswre57vbm1ixf3d1w7gf_s.jpgxv1rcagyntj98ghnuil2a_s.jpg

As I've been associated with many-many rich/affluent/spoiled ones,

who happens to own Apple computers,

I assure you that the last thing they are interested in is the Apple code.

Professional Mac Users' Complaints List Grows After 'Disappointing' Apple Event

Less than a week ago Apple unveiled its new MacBook Pro line-up, with the focus of its "Hello again" event centering on the OLED Touch Bar that replaces the function keys on the company's 13-inch and 15-inch flagship models.

Initial media reaction to Apple's event was positive, and most journalists in attendance were impressed after their limited hands-on time with the new machines. "There's all kinds of love for the new MacBook Pro," reported The Loop the following morning, in a post citing quotes from several leading tech sites.

Over the weekend, however, evidence mounted of a backlash within sections of the online Mac community in response to Apple's latest announcements. In a blog post on his site titled "New MacBook Pros and the State of the Mac", developer Michael Tsai collated and linked to the most commonly aired grievances. The post has since become a common point of reference in the blogosphere for negative sentiment toward Apple following last week's event.

In his original post, Tsai said he was "disappointed" with Apple's announcements for the Mac, which made him feel as if Cupertino had either "lost touch" with what developers and creative professionals want, or Apple "simply doesn't care about those customers".

There's nothing particularly wrong with what Apple announced. I like Thunderbolt 3. The display looks good. I'm not crazy about Touch Bar, but it does seem potentially useful. The problem is that the MacBook Pro is not a true Pro notebook.

My Retina MacBook Pro is almost 4.5 years old. I've been wanting to upgrade it for a while and was planning to do so today. After seeing what was announced, I'm no longer sure that I want a MacBook Pro as my main computer.

The subsequent catalog of grievances largely mirror Tsai's own complaints, which include the "premium price" of a "Pro" MacBook limited to 16GB RAM, the prioritization of "thinness and lightness" over CPU and graphics performance, and Apple's "neglect" of other sections of its Mac product line. Tsai concludes: "It has seemed clear for a while that the CEO doesn't really understand the Mac, or simply doesn't like it that much, and that's a problem for those of us who do."

On Monday, both The Loop and Daring Fireball highlighted Tsai's post, noting its growing inventory of criticisms. The Loop said the list contained "a lot of fair complaints" that are "insights... worth paying attention to". Daring Fireball's John Gruber called the extent of the backlash "astounding" and described Tsai's collection of quotes as "must-read stuff".

In another widely shared article titled "How Apple could have avoided much of the controversy", developer Chuq Von Rospach wrote that while much of the criticism ignores "a lot of the positives" in Apple's latest announcements, the company should have at least mentioned upcoming updates to the rest of its product line, which would "have muted a lot of the anger".

Von Rospach goes on to speculate about what those updates might be, broaches some of the issues regarding Apple's new notebooks (the 16GB RAM ceiling, an increase in dongles) and concludes by suggesting that creative professionals need to realize the Mac line has become a "niche product" in a world driven by market forces where Apple technology has gone mainstream. The full article can be read here.

The impassioned online debate comes at an important time for Apple, which hopes to boost interest in a lukewarm computer market this holiday season, following the company's first reported full-year revenue decline since 2001. Its Touch Bar enabled 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks are expected to ship in late November. Meanwhile, the new 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar is already shipping to customers and more comprehensive reviews of Apple's lower-spec notebook are expected this week.

Source:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/02/professional-mac-users-complaints-grow-apple-event/

Lets Talk Niche

When I wrote about this over the weekend, I was thinking and talking about niches a lot, and the more I think about it, the more I see this unhappiness as a battle to stay out of the niche — people want to be part of Apple’s mainstream, and where we see the biggest anger is groups of people who’s come to the realization that’s not true any more.

The fact is, the Mac product line itself is becoming a niche product, because the days of the personal computer have started the shift back to where computers will be a hobby for the nerd and for the mainstream user, devices which use computers to enable tasks are starting to replace them: that includes tablets, but also gaming consoles and whatever it is that will ultimately take ownership of the living room.

This is sad if you’re a computer nerd, but it means these technologies have gone mainstream and we have to remember most people aren’t interested for computers as computers, they are interested in solving problems, and use computers for doing that.

And in many ways, a lot of the unhappiness I’m seeing about these new computers comes down to dealing with the realities of the Mac itself becoming a niche product to Apple, and of finding that your preferred use of the Mac is itself a niche within that niche, and one Apple may not see as central to the product itself any more.

And that’s just reality; all the whining and moaning aren’t going to undo the market forces driving this. Apple is reacting to changes, not pushing them.

But let’s talk about niches within niches for a minute. Lots of the complaints about dongles boil down to two things: they’re ugly (which is true) and they are features that should be built into the product.

I can’t fix the first one, but to those arguing that Apple is just soaking users by forcing them to buy dongles, adding $40 to a $2500 product simply isn’t financially significant. And if you think about it, if Apple did see these are lucrative products instead of functional accessories, they’d make them a lot prettier.

But the bigger issue around dongles is that niche thing again. These are accessories that allow specific customizations to the device that some people will want, but which most people won’t need. If you think about it, perhaps the biggest change from my older, 2013 laptop is that it’s gone from having seven (yes, that many) ports, each with a specific purpose to having four points, each customizable by a cable to dongle to solve the problem you have.

My laptop has a power port, an SD card port, 3 Thunderbolt ports and two USB ports. I know that in the four years I’ve owned it, I’ve never used the SD card, I use the Power port, one Thunderbolt port, and occasionally plug a USB cable in. So half the ports in this thing are never used — and yet I paid for them because they were built into the computer.

That’s the issue that defines dongles: Should 100% of buyers pay for a feature when only 5% of the owners will use it? Or 10%? How many users will need a feature before you think it ought to be required for everyone to buy it as part of
the device? Where do you draw that line?

One thing I’ve been pondering this weekend, but I couldn’t find any data on it: if Apple had to make a choice between including that SD card or including a VGA connector, which one should Apple do? Because I’d be willing to take a bet that more people use a VGA dongle twice a month than use that SD card twice a month on their existing machines.

But the nice thing is that the ports on the new computer give you the options to have the capabilities you need, not the capabilities Apple thinks someone might need. And if you really think the dongles are ugly, I’m sorry — but there are also non-Apple options that are often cheaper, too.

But dongles are very much a feature, not a bug. And four general purpose ports is, to me, a big upgrade over seven specialty ports.

https://chuqui.com/2016/10/how-apple-could-have-avoided-much-of-the-controversy/

What do the Complaints of Apple Developers'

have to do with

the *VAST Majority* of Apple Computers' Users

who are Higher-Income but everyday common computer users

who have Nothing to do with the Apple-Code?

Where is it proven that the *VAST Majority*

of Apple Computers' Users are Nothing but Apple-Code Developers?

The Steve Jobs email that outlined Apple’s strategy a year before his death

In 2010, a year before his death, Steve Jobs outlined Apple’s strategy in an email to the company’s 100 most senior employees. He heralded the “Post PC era,” vowed “Holy War with Google,” promised to “further lock customers into our ecosystem,” and warned that Apple was “in danger of hanging on to old paradigm too long.”

The email was an agenda for Apple’s annual “top 100” meeting later that year. It was released this week as part of Apple’s lawsuit against Samsung over smartphone patents. Here is the entire email:

Date: October 24, 2010 6:12:41 PM PDT
To: ET <[email protected]>
Subject: Top 100 – A

Here’s my current cut.

Steve

1. 2011 Strategy – SJ
– who are we?
– headcount, average age, …
– VP count, senior promotions in last year
– percent new membership at this meeting
– what do we do?
– pie chart of units/product line and revenues/product line
– same charts with tablets + phones merged together
– Post PC era- Apple is the first company to get here
– Post PC products now 66% of our revenues
– iPad outsold Mac within 6 months
– Post PC era = more mobile (smaller, thinner, lighter) + communications + apps + cloud services
– 2011: Holy War with Google
– all the ways we will compete with them
– primary reason for this Top 100 meeting
– you will hear about what we’re doing in each presentation
– 2011: Year of the Cloud
– we invented Digital Hub concept
– PC as hub for all your digital assets
– contacts, calendars, bookmarks, photos, music, videos
– digital hub (center of our universe) is moving from PC to cloud
– PC now just another client alongside iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, …
– Apple is in danger of hanging on to old paradigm too long (innovator’s dilemma)
– Google and Microsoft are further along on the technology, but haven’t quite figured it out yet
– tie all of our products together, so we further lock customers into our ecosystem
– 2015: new campus

2. State of the Company
– Peter & Tim
– FY2010 recap
– FY2011 plan
– where is our business
– geo analysis (NA, Euro, Japan, Asia, possibly break out china) (present on map)
– key milestones, trends & future goals
– comparisons with Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola & RIM3. iPhone
– Joz & Bob
– 2011 Strategy:
– “plus” iPhone 4 with better antenna, processor, camera & software to stay ahead of competitors until mid 2012
– have LTE version in mid-2012
– create low cost iPhone model based on iPod touch to replace 3GS
– Business & competitive update
– show Droid and RIM ads
– Verizon iPhone
– schedule, marketing, …
– iPhone 5 hardware
– H4 performance
– new antenna design, etc
– new camera
– schedule
– [CONFIDENTIAL]
– cost goal
– show model (and/or renderings)
– Jony

4. iPad – Bob, Jony, Dan Riccio, Michael Tchao ,Randy Ubillos, Xander Soren, Roger Rosner
– 2011 Strategy: ship iPad 2 with amazing hardware and software before our competitors even catch up with our current model
– Business & competitive update – Michael
– Apps, corporate adoption, …
– show Samsung, HP(?) anf iPad ads
– 2011 Product Roadmap
– Bob, Dan & Jony
– iPad 2
– new ID, H4, UMTS + Verizon in one model, cameras, …
– EVT units & cases
– HDMI dongle (use for projection of demos below?)
– iPad 3
– display, H4T
– DEMOS:- PhotoBooth (Michael?)
– iMovie (Randy)
– GarageBand (Xander)
– text book authoring system (Roger)
– working display for iPad 3 (during break)

———-

5. iOS – Scott, Joz
– Strategy: catch up to Android where we are behind (notifications, tethering, speech, …) and leapfrog them (Siri, …)
– Timeline of iOS releases from first until Telluride, including Verizon
– Jasper tent poles
– Durango tent poles (without MobileMe)
– Telluride tent poles (with “catch up” and “leapfrog” notations on each one)
– DEMOS:
– Jasper: AirPlay to AppleTV – video from iPad, photos from iPhone, ??
– Durango: ?? (without MobileMe features)
– Telluride: Siri, ?

6. MobileMe – Cue, SJ, Roger Rosner
– Strategy: catch up to Google cloud services and leapfrog them (Photo Stream, cloud storage)
– Android
– deeply integrates Google cloud services
– way ahead of Apple in cloud services for contacts, calendars, mail
– 2011
– Apple’s year of the cloud
– tie all of our products together
– make Apple ecosystem even more sticky
– Free MobileMe for iPhone 4, iPad and new iPod touch
– Jasper – Sign up with Apple ID, Find My iPhone
– Durango
– Find My Friends, Calendar, Contacts, Bookmarks, Photo Stream
– April
– iWork cloud storage
– Telluride
– cloud storage for third party apps
– iOS backup
– new iDisk for Mac
– Growth
– projected growth, cost/user
– plan to scale to 100 million users
– transition plan for paid members
– what about email?
– DEMOS:
– Find My Friends
– Calendar
– Photo Stream
– iWork cloud storage (Roger Rosner)

7. Mac
– David Moody, Bob, Craig Federigi, Randy Ubilos & ?
– Hardware roadmap
– Lion plan
– Mac App Store
– Final Cut Pro DEMO (Randy & ?)

8. Apple TV 2- David Moody, Jeff Robbin
– Strategy: stay in the living room game and make a great “must have” accessory for iOS devices
– sales so far, projections for this holiday season
– add content:- NBC, CBS, Viacom, HBO, …
– TV subscription?
– where do we go from here?
– apps, browser, magic wand?

———-

9. Stores Update – Eddy, Patrice
– Music
– Strategy: Leap even further ahead of Google in music
– Beatles
– iTunes in the cloud
– App Store
– Strategy: Leap even further ahead of Google in discovering great new iOS apps

10. iAds Update – Andy Miller

11. Retail Update – Ron Johnson

http://qz.com/196005/the-steve-jobs-email-that-outlined-apples-strategy-a-year-before-his-death/

So, all the silly blonde (or not)

rich-girls I see holding Apple Laptops

(and trust me I've seen millions of them around Europe, Asia, and America)

are nothing but Apple-Code Developers, ah?

Yeah, they are all hidden Apple-Code Developers...:hi:

How Apple Owns Hollywood, and Makes You Buy Its Products

Apple might not actually own Hollywood yet, but Apple products do get featured in a lot of Hollywood films. So much so that in 2014 the company reclaimed the top spot in Overall Product Placement as calculated by BrandChannel.

It seems that any film — no matter what genre — features an Apple product. Whether the movie is an action-packed thriller, an animated feature, or an anti-corporate film, Apple products are bound to appear.

There are a couple of reasons for this: 1. Apple is an iconic brand known for its unique designs. 2. Apple products are sold in the United States, China, South Korea, Europe, and throughout Africa. Essentially, anywhere you can think of, Apple already has a presence.

There may be a correlation between Apple’s design and being hip, smart, or edgy. We’re not sure, but there has certainly been a few movies based on Apple’s sleek design principles (I, Robot comes to mind).

What is true, is that Apple products are everywhere in the movies. As we’re about to explore.

Apple Owns Wall-E

It could be said the entire Wall-E movie produced by Pixar was made to promote Apple, which wouldn’t be too far of a stretch.

In the beginning of the movie, Wall-E can be seen recharging himself with a solar panel and booting up with the iconic Apple start-up sound. He also uses an iPod to watch an old VHS tape through a VCR, which clearly isn’t possible.

The robot Wall-E falls in love with Eve, who also appears to be completely designed by Apple. She is seamless, shiny, and new – just like your favorite Apple products. Although this is more of a stretch, it is very plausible. And there might be a reason for all of this product placement.

In 1986, Steve Jobs became a major shareholder of Pixar. Under his direction, the computer animation film studio became a multi-billion dollar success. He had bought the film company for around $5 million in the mid 1980s and sold it many years later for around $7.4 billion. During that time the company produced many successful movies, most of which contained Apple product placements.

Blade: Trinity, All About iPods

Even a vampire killer can be seen using an Apple product.

Jessica Biel’s character Abigail can be seen loading her playlist on her iPod before going out to kill some vampires, which is obviously a necessity when fighting vampires, and a clear case of product placement. It doesn’t matter that she would have no way of hearing those blood-sucking vampires creeping up behind her. What matters here is that she needs to look cool and to listen to some tunes. We suspect she would love Apple Music.

And it doesn’t stop there. Any time Biel’s character is seen with those iconic headphones it makes the viewer think of Apple, whether they want to or not. This movie is a clear guide to Apple’s product placement prowess.

Captain America: The Apple Soldier

During one particular scene from Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson can be seen visiting an Apple store. The clip lasts for more than a minute and shows the pair using a MacBook to hack into S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division).

This product placement is just one of a number of times Apple was seen in top grossing movies in 2014. BrandChannel crunched the numbers to find that, “Apple products appeared in nine of the 35 films that topped the U.S. weekend box office in 2014, or about a quarter of all #1s”.

Transformers: Age of Apple

Another huge movie from 2014 that featured an obvious Apple product placement was Transformers: Age of Extinction.

You can clearly see the Apple-owned Beats Pill speaker in one of the scenes. And you don’t have to squint to find it. The portable Bluetooth speaker is placed front and center and even talked about by name in a really lame way. This particular example even won the “worst product placement” award by BrandChannel. There’s not even any attempt at subtlety here, and it’s kind of a shame.

What’s worse is that Age of Extinction featured a total of 55 brands, which won the movie the 2014 Award for Achievement in Product Placement in a Single Film award by BrandChannel.

Fight the Apple Club?

Even Fight Club featured products from Apple and others. And although the movie has an anti-corporate feel and talks about fighting against the system, the film still uses product placement to pay the bills.

OK, so we all have to pay the bills somehow, but this still feels out of place.

The Girl with the Apple Computer

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, a smart movie featuring investigative journalists unraveling a mystery, shows just how much investigating you can do with the proper equipment.

Rooney Mara, who plays Lisbeth Salander – a smart but disturbed young lady – uses her hacking and investigating techniques to uncover information. It can be implied that she’s only able to do this with the very best equipment, and you better believe that that equipment is an Apple product. Apple wouldn’t have it any other way.

Annihilate Aliens With a Macintosh PowerBook

Independence Day employs a few product placements, but none are more important than the Macintosh PowerBook, which is shown as the computer able to bring down the aliens.

The PowerBook is shown to display the countdown of the alien attack (with a small Apple logo present) and during the virus uploading scene, which shows Jeff Goldblum’s character uploading a virus (freaky fast, too) into the mothership via a Macintosh PowerBook 5300.

The success of this film even inspired the company to make a commercial, which, I have to admit, is pretty cool.

Mission Impossible: Promote Apple

The Macintosh PowerBook is also featured in Mission Impossible, even though Apple made a mistake with this movie.

The company paid around $15 million to have its product featured in the movie, but what the company didn’t do was insist the Apple logo appeared. It’s highly possible that many people didn’t even realize that a PowerBook was used. Maybe that’s why a commercial was made flagging up the fact.

Jurassic Apple World

Even Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park got on the Apple train, showing the Macintosh Quadra 700 being used as the main computer system. It could handle everything, minus a few dinosaurs.

The much more recent Jurassic World also jumped on the bandwagon, showing a few clips of Nick Robinson’s character using Beats headphones, though it’s possible Samsung beat out Apple in displaying the most products (as is evident in the clip embedded below).

Sex Tape, Made By Apple

Sex Tape is a comedy released in 2014, and it’s possible Apple produced this entire movie. There are so many scenes featuring Apple products and comments about how great the company is, that it ends up being comical (unlike the movie itself).

In Sex Tape, Jason Segel’s character watches the titular sex tape that he and his girlfriend (played by Cameron Diaz) record. This lets them mention in one scene that the iPad camera is great, with the pair screaming, “The camera is amazing!”

It’s also possible that the couple owns every single Apple product ever made. They can be seen with a MacBook, an iPad, an iPhone, an iMac, chatting with Siri, and even mentioning The Cloud, though they do admit that they don’t “understand The Cloud.”

And that right there is product placement… all the product placement.

The Craziest Thing of All

These are some of the most egregious examples of Apple product placement, which together show just how much marketing clout the company has in Hollywood. However, what’s really crazy is that Apple doesn’t even pay for product placement. There was a time when it did have to pay, but that time has now passed. Pay for advertising? Only chumps like Samsung would do that.

As Gavin Polone, producer of HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, noted, dealing with Apple is somewhat of a graft situation. He explained, “Apple won’t pay to have their products featured, but they are more than willing to hand out an endless amount of computers, iPads and iPhones”. So, give a production company free products and they will stick them in their movie for free.

What other Apple product placements in movies have you noticed? Can you think of any more egregious examples than those listed here? Does this kind of corporate shilling annoy you or do you get a kick out of seeing Apple products in almost every movie? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/apple-owns-hollywood-buy-products/

Were do you see them at in  the movies  and on the internet ? In reality  Mac OS is has a low market-share you have Propaganda confused with reality  Even if a rich girl has one most likely they seen it in a movie and bought because of that , not because that its better than another O/S i watch movies and TV all the time and they promote  mac Books heavy.

When I was growing up everyone wanted this and that because they seen it on TV  ..Now days places like apple will give there products to youtube stars even to promote them . :P

So how does this make Apple better  ? They just got better advisements lmao.

On 4/11/2016 at 11:30 PM, steven36 said:

Where do you see them at in monies  and on the internet ?

In reality, Mac OS is has a low market-share

you have Propaganda confused with reality  

I guess my girlfriend who owns a Mac...is Propaganda...

Her parents, both own Macs, is Propaganda...

The Japanese and South Korean college students (who had Macs)

I met during August...is Propaganda...

Some Norwegian guys I recently met

-all were holding Mac laptops- ...

is Propaganda...

The low-market share of Apple (compared with Windows)

has Nothing to do with what you wrote:

On 4/11/2016 at 8:00 PM, steven36 said:

Most people who buy Mac are Developers who need it to work on IOS

No, the majority of Apple users are everyday/common users

just like what happens with Windows.

And I do not care about what movies show...

-I believe in what my eyes have witnessed in various countries.

-You believe in what you read on the Internet.

On 4/11/2016 at 11:30 PM, steven36 said:

you have Propaganda confused with Reality

Am I the one?

What a nice Projection mechanism you have...

:hi:

Just as i thought no answer why they  are any better tell me why would i pay over $2000 witch is a lot for PC ? Because its shiny  and women like shiny things , that’s no reason to buy a pc!   but $2000 is nothing to me if i was going to buy a car that maybe would be a payment on one . lol

its a mac book dongle pro.Apple has just discounted all the dongles needed to use it because of the backlash.Expensive overpriced.

Archived