Which one of these routers are better?

mrkool123

I am looking for a router with good 2.4GHz and 5 GHz range and performance.I am considering the Netgear R6400 or the Dlink AC1900 DIR880L.Which one of these are better?

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mrkool123 said:

I am looking for a router with good 2.4GHz and 5 GHz range and performance.I am considering the Netgear R6400 or the Dlink AC1900 DIR880L.Which one of these are better?

If you intend to keep the stock firmware then buy the Netgear as it is usually less buggy than Dlink. Real world wireless range will be the same on both. There is not much difference in hardware, its the same cpu inside but the 880L is clocked 200Mhz higher which won't matter much for routing performance unless you have a 1Gbps Internet connection, the extra cpu speed helps with the usb related features. Don't count that as being better because if the firmware is buggy it will crash half way through your DLNA streaming.

The 1900 and 1750 is marketing hogwash, it hardly matters because you need to use all 6 spatial streams to get that speed and when have you ever seen 6 wifi antennas inside a phone or tablet or pretty much any device other than another router. In fact you could probably save money and just by an Asus RT-AC56U because chances are you will never see a device in production that is capable of connecting to more than 2 spatial streams.

14 minutes ago, LeetPirate said:

If you intend to keep the stock firmware then buy the Netgear as it is usually less buggy than Dlink. Real world wireless range will be the same on both. There is not much difference in hardware, its the same cpu inside but the 880L is clocked 200Mhz higher which won't matter much for routing performance unless you have a 1Gbps Internet connection, the extra cpu speed helps with the usb related features. Don't count that as being better because if the firmware is buggy it will crash half way through your DLNA streaming.

The 1900 and 1750 is marketing hogwash, it hardly matters because you need to use all 6 spatial streams to get that speed and when have you ever seen 6 wifi antennas inside a phone or tablet or pretty much any device other than another router. In fact you could probably save money and just by an Asus RT-AC56U because chances are you will never see a device in production that is capable of connecting to more than 2 spatial streams.

How about the asus rt ac66u.Would you recommend this over the netgear R6400.My only concern is the ac66u is about 4 years and im worried if it would go outdated soon.

I have about 12 devices that uses wifi.With the current sale price the D link 880 is cheaper than the netgear but im worried about reliability   don't really know much about either of the two brands.

51 minutes ago, mrkool123 said:

How about the asus rt ac66u.Would you recommend this over the netgear R6400.My only concern is the ac66u is about 4 years and im worried if it would go outdated soon.

I have about 12 devices that uses wifi.With the current sale price the D link 880 is cheaper than the netgear but im worried about reliability   don't really know much about either of the two brands.

I would say if you are pressed between only the 2 brands, definitely go with Netgear. They are solid. Have been using the brand and would recommend either Netgear or ASUS to colleges. On the other hand, I have had lots of issues with Dlinks, like what LeetPirate said, they are a lot more buggy.

4 hours ago, mrkool123 said:

To be honest, neither.  I would go with a Linksys router.  When Netgear started having problems with its hardware having multiple security problems which could not be fixed with a firmware update then I switched back to Linksys.  The wireless signal with the Linksys router is stronger than the Netgear and I was able to get rid of an extender that I had to have with the Netgear in order to get a signal out to the pool area.  This is a comparison of their respective '1900' products.

On 10/28/2016 at 7:24 PM, mrkool123 said:

The RT-AC66U uses the same wireless radio chipsets as the Netgear R6400, I doubt that the wireless-AC standard will go obsolete anytime soon. What matters here is the RT-AC66U uses a traditional MIPS CPU which is great for routing performance but not so great for general computing such as DLNA server so again the choice goes back to whether and how you intend to use that USB port. The RT-AC56U actually uses a more powerful ARM CPU which helps with the usb port applications. You could probably look into the RT-AC68U if this is in your budget. Asus routers are at the top of my list when shopping for wireless routers. I used to buy Linksys when they were owned by Cisco but now they are owned by Belkin and not many people know of this and the company does not market this because they know nobody will buy Belkin if they have another choice.

4 hours ago, LeetPirate said:

because they know nobody will buy Belkin

Why is that? I don't own any of their products, but I am curious as why Belkin would seem to have a dubious reputation.

On 29/10/2016 at 0:34 AM, mrkool123 said:

I am considering the Netgear R6400 or the Dlink AC1900 DIR880L.

Which one of these is better?

+1 for Netgear. ;)

I find it more stable than D-Link.

On 10/30/2016 at 0:26 PM, lurch234 said:

Why is that? I don't own any of their products, but I am curious as why Belkin would seem to have a dubious reputation.

It's not of the dubious nature, it's just that Belkin is synonymous with cheap and low end and this is the market segment they seem to target. People think Belkin when they need a cheap power strip or a cheap hdmi cable.

Archived