Seagate releases 900 GB HDD that spins at 15,000 RPM

Batu69

Seagate has launched a new series of enterprise HDDs that spin at 15,000 rounds per minute (RPM). The 2.5″ drives will be available in capacities of 300, 600 and 900GB. Seagate is first with a 15K RPM drive with a capacity larger than 600GB.

enterprise-perf-3-5-600gb-upper-hero-left-400x400

The drives use a 12Gbit SAS interface to connect to the rest of the system indicating the drives aren’t for consumer usage. The drives are targeted for data center usage and Seagate claims its 600GB 15K RPM drive is  27% faster in reading sequential data than it’s previous generation 600GB HDD. Seagate specifies a maximum of 315 MB/s sustained transfer rate.

Utilizing Seagate’s FastFormat feature, the drives are available in both a 512 native and a single advanced format (512e and 4Kn) model. The larger sectors of the 4Kn model allow for better error correcting.

It’s unclear when the drives become available, Seagate also hasn’t disclosed any pricing information.

Article source

• Replies 5
  • Views 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why the companies keep polishing the old technology. Mechanical drives are history now.

I don't understand why the companies keep polishing the old technology. Mechanical drives are history now.

2 hours ago, rudrax said:

Depends on the configuration. These would be great in a NAS where both high-capacity and high-throughput are concerns. Only using SSDs as a cache for frequently accessed files.

Basically, mechanical drives have a longer life expectancy. While SSDs are better for speed. So it's a good balance of performance, reliability and cost.

what's exactly new here? i had SCSI drives (although 3.5") with 15'000 RPM years ago. they sounded like a circular saw and got incredibly hot, i couldn't touch them.

but it is always good to see them trying to improve hardware.

10 hours ago, nsane said:

Depends on the configuration. These would be great in a NAS where both high-capacity and high-throughput are concerns. Only using SSDs as a cache for frequently accessed files.

Basically, mechanical drives have a longer life expectancy. While SSDs are better for speed. So it's a good balance of performance, reliability and cost.

I know these things, yet I can't convince myself over the use of mechanical drives in SSD era. SSDs will give you at least 10 years of lifeline and in 10 years technology changes a lot. In that 10 year span, mechanical drives are more likely to fail than SSDs. Yes, mechanical drives will be cost effective but they can't give a 15000 rpm drive that cheap. So in my opinion SSDs should take over to make systems more reliable, silent, lighter, slimmer and above all, energy efficient. 

On 28/10/2016 at 7:22 AM, rudrax said:

SSDs will give you at least 10 years of lifeline and in 10 years technology changes a lot.

In that 10 year span, mechanical drives are more likely to fail than SSDs.

Spot on! :yes:

Manufacturers need to solely focus on SSD-technology and beyond...

Archived