Welcome back nsane

vitorio

• Replies 74
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nsaners, we are happy that forums is back. However, not yet.

There may be another set of fixes and HTTPS integration, new bug fixes during and post HTTPS integration, IPB upgrades and more. For most of these fixes there will be nsane downtime. So, nsane is only temporarily active. Hence, people who are waiting to register or members with their stuff, do it ASAP before another downtime.

@DKT27: Can you say more about the special permission to access the forum provided to staff/mod/veteran during downtime?

2 hours ago, Hated On Mostly said:

Where do we go for updates/status when the site is down?

Earlier when @shought was admin with old mod/staff/co-admin, we had better notifications instantly/ in nsanedown when the forum is offline/down/maintenance. However, when shought was moving to the hide, there is no one in the nsane team doing good on notification on downtime.

See the response conversation of the new nsane team on earlier downtime here, here and here.

I think it is better to stay with old IPB v3.x.x until latest version becomes stable. We don't want to be a victim of IPB's nuisance. It is not bad and it is wise to use old version unless we have more security issues and more missing features compared to latest version. I know the current issue was not totally because of this thing. However, if we rollback/upgrade to old version stable IPB, we could be at peace with lesser bugs and less downtime issues.

Please let's me know what happened with nsaneforums a few day recently that i can't access ? any moderator or forum staff or admin can answer me  ? :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, coua said:

Please let's me know what happened with nsaneforums a few day recently that i can't access ? any moderator or forum staff or admin can answer me  ? :ph34r:

This post may help you 

8 minutes ago, tomm said:

No, it doesn't. The announcement was too late[just a day or less before the forum was accessible but the forum & site both were offline/down for days] and not much helpful. It has to be done within 24hrs of downtime or within few hrs after either site/forum became accessible. If the announcement was done within the least time, these negative/hatred comments won't arise much.

One must remember we are :not worthy: of an explanation from the bosses. They do not care to inform truthfully all their problems to us. That is their decision and their right. Remember egg is on their face not ours, if they choose to be a mess what can we do except be part of it? I will admit they picked a perfect name for the site when going with nsane.DOWN!!!!!!! I do remember reading somewhere here that we would be surprised to find out just how young some of the admin and staff are at nsane. I am not surprised, it shows! Keep up the good :rolleyes: work, BOYS.

Hated On Mostly

Still no response from any admins about a place to find info or regroup when there are problems? :dunno:

I guess nsanedown will end up like other sharing sites that have disappeared and don't communicate with members. One day the whole site will disappear and all the members will be scattered... :dunno: :sadbye:

• Administrator
On 19/10/2016 at 11:17 PM, ashish1989 said:

glad its back now

but cant download from nsanedown proxy

Confirmed. Looking into it.

On 19/10/2016 at 11:47 PM, vissha said:

Nsaners, we are happy that forums is back. However, not yet.

There may be another set of fixes and HTTPS integration, new bug fixes during and post HTTPS integration, IPB upgrades and more. For most of these fixes there will be nsane downtime. So, nsane is only temporarily active. Hence, people who are waiting to register or members with their stuff, do it ASAP before another downtime.

@DKT27: Can you say more about the special permission to access the forum provided to staff/mod/veteran during downtime?

A lot of issues were introduced with HTTPS. For that, we have disabled HTTPS on forums. Technically, it's still accessible, but you should go back to normal instead. You will need to clear your cache for normal site to work again. HTTPS introduced too many problems on the forums. FP is still on HTTPS from what I know though.

On 20/10/2016 at 7:54 AM, vissha said:

Earlier when @shought was admin with old mod/staff/co-admin, we had better notifications instantly/ in nsanedown when the forum is offline/down/maintenance. However, when shought was moving to the hide, there is no one in the nsane team doing good on notification on downtime.

See the response conversation of the new nsane team on earlier downtime here, here and here.

I think it is better to stay with old IPB v3.x.x until latest version becomes stable. We don't want to be a victim of IPB's nuisance. It is not bad and it is wise to use old version unless we have more security issues and more missing features compared to latest version. I know the current issue was not totally because of this thing. However, if we rollback/upgrade to old version stable IPB, we could be at peace with lesser bugs and less downtime issues.

Just because we do not update immediately or respond immediately does not mean we are not working behind the scenes. This includes both shought and me. Fixing site's issues is our responsibility. Fixing it takes priority over notifying the members. I can notify members just any information, but what's the use. When to notify and what to notify is more important than just to notify. That notification was made when it was possible for it to be done. It could not have done before, it could not have been done later.

I'm not sure if IPB 3.x is even maintained / updated anymore. Who knows the amount of security issues and problems it might be having now. Rolling back to it will break almost everything of the forums and even have server compatibility issues.

On 20/10/2016 at 2:37 PM, vissha said:

No, it doesn't. The announcement was too late[just a day or less before the forum was accessible but the forum & site both were offline/down for days] and not much helpful. It has to be done within 24hrs of downtime or within few hrs after either site/forum became accessible. If the announcement was done within the least time, these negative/hatred comments won't arise much.

Not talking about you here, but except a few members who take us and the site for granted, all I see if love from the members here.

Hated On Mostly

When the website disappears and there is no word on what is happening, how are members supposed to know that eventually the site will come back or is the site dead forever like kickasstorrents and the dozens of other really big sites that no longer exist?

How is anyone supposed to know that you guys have not been arrested by the FBI and the site will soon have their logo on the frontpage laughing at us?

Communication, giving notifications, or having a regroup area is just as important as fixing the bugs and problems with the forum.

If the community collapses and scatters, the website won't matter as much when it comes back.

Just look at thepiratebay and demonoid. Those sites and communities are nothing like they used to be before both sites had continuous and long-term shutdowns and problems.

If you as the admins truly love nsane.down you will take communication with the community more seriously.

Nsane is not some torrent site, it's a community with crapload of uptime and it takes a lot more than downtimes every now and then to make it break apart. Only speak for myself, when i see nsane being down, i just move on to other stuff on my agenda and to-do list. In all those years where i was browsing, there was barely any site that was left unchanged, be it face or personalities, that's life my homies. And in regard to someone's age, that doesn't really matter, who wants to deal with old nuts all day long? Old nuts.

• Administrator

I sometimes feel some members are just wishing for it.

Still, to answer the question. We have never underrated the communication part. It's done when it should be done. Before, it was not even easily possible for us to let you guys know on FB and Twitter like sites. Even there I saw loads or nonsensical level of theories. We should concentrate ourselves to fix the issues or should we be kept busy in answering all the questions. Like, after the forums came back, I had to do overtime here - half of it was due to answering all you guys. It's not that I do not like answering, I love to, but so much specific question which require specific answers.

37 minutes ago, n0_risk! said:

Nsane is not some torrent site, it's a community with crapload of uptime and it takes a lot more than downtimes every now and then to make it break apart. Only speak for myself, when i see nsane being down, i just move on to other stuff on my agenda and to-do list. In all those years where i was browsing, there was barely any site that was left unchanged, be it face or personalities, that's life my homies.

This is my advise to all.

Some of the members have no idea how much uptime problems we have had before, this is nothing in front of it.

On 20 October 2016 at 3:24 AM, vissha said:

I thought this is xenforo ?

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, AppleGeek said:

I thought this is xenforo ?

Nope. We use IP Board, one of the most advanced and buggy forum software out there.

5 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Some of the members have no idea how much uptime problems we have had before, this is nothing in front of it.

I remember  back then, also  I remember  when the founder stepped down and the members had to save the site . this site is one of the longest running software forums..Other old forums  like wbb     dont even use IP Board, and the looks of it is almost the same as in 2006 and they still had way more problems with downtime than you guys . All  anyone can do is fix  problems as they arise 

On 21 October 2016 at 11:16 PM, DKT27 said:

Confirmed. Looking into it.

A lot of issues were introduced with HTTPS. For that, we have disabled HTTPS on forums. Technically, it's still accessible, but you should go back to normal instead. You will need to clear your cache for normal site to work again. HTTPS introduced too many problems on the forums. FP is still on HTTPS from what I know though.

Just because we do not update immediately or respond immediately does not mean we are not working behind the scenes. This includes both shought and me. Fixing site's issues is our responsibility. Fixing it takes priority over notifying the members. I can notify members just any information, but what's the use. When to notify and what to notify is more important than just to notify. That notification was made when it was possible for it to be done. It could not have done before, it could not have been done later.

I'm not sure if IPB 3.x is even maintained / updated anymore. Who knows the amount of security issues and problems it might be having now. Rolling back to it will break almost everything of the forums and even have server compatibility issues.

Not talking about you here, but except a few members who take us and the site for granted, all I see if love from the members here.

I can understand the amount of work put in , especially into the security of the site, thanks for the great work guys. without the admins, the site would be dead :wub:

Hated On Mostly

You don't need to answer everyone's questions, you just need to keep people updated.

How much time does it take to put up a sentence.

"The site is down because of [some reason/we don't know/etc], we are working on it, no time estimate on return."

That takes less than one minute.

You don't need to answer questions.

And the torrent communities are like this site. Demonoid forums were where all the action was, not the torrents. thepiratebay's forums used to be hugely active. h33t was another great community site.

The same stuff that occurs on this forum was occurring on those forums. Tech support, tutorials, programming, etc.

Communities that take years to build can break apart very quickly due to simple neglect and lack of communication.

Archived