Some advice with i7's and running mac alongside windows

UpGrade

Hi guys,

any hardware geeks on here that can help me out?

I want to purchase either and imac, macbook pro or a new i7 pc, reason being i have lots of devices with all OS's so i can learn how they all work and fix things when there are problems as people always bring their tech to me when it breaks, the ony OS i am missing is mac osx.

So is it better to run parallels desktop through mac with windows on or isit better to run vmware with mac on, on a high end i7 machine ? Which one will perform better i need to use both systems side by side with speed!

i have found that the Intel Core i7-6850K 6 core or the Core i7 6700K quad core are the best at the moment ? please correct me if i am wrong! and also the quad seems to out perform the hexacore on alot of thjings why is this shouldnt the hexacore be much better?

• Replies 1
  • Views 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are looking at buying an iMac or MacBook Pro you will be paying top dollar for a system that is over a year old in design.  You can get a MacBook Pro i7 dual core at 3.1Ghz or an i7 quad core at 2.2Ghz.  Both just have the Intel graphics, 16GB, and 256GB.  The cost starts at about $2200.  I run a MacBook Pro with Windows in both Parallels and VMWare Fusion, but I prefer Parallels, it is faster.  Some people prefer installing Windows with BootCamp but then you have to keep rebooting to switch systems.  Natively, you cannot run MacOSX in a virtual machine on a PC platform.  You would need to hack the OS to get it to work and some things will not work at all, so your real world experience wouldn't be very real.  I have MacOS Sierra running in VirtualBox but it doesn't work the same as running it on a real Mac.  I have been around Macs since 1991 when I hosted a San Francisco Mac User Group in my conference room every Thursday evening.  It was more like a pirate group, they would all bring their Macs and set them up then copy programs from one machine to another, since at the time every program was in a complete folder of its own, so copying the folder to another machine was all that was needed to pirate a program.  Things are a little different today, with some data being put in different places. If you want to learn OSX though the best way is to get a MacBook Pro, so you can take it around practice connecting to different hotspots/public access networks, and then connecting with you systems remotely at home.

Archived