Is this the newest Microsoft`s strategy to get rid of Windows 7 + 8.1 ?

AlienForce1

This week I installed Windows 7 on a PC and tried to update it (from Windows Update) . After a day , leaving updates to Automatic ( I did let the PC started ) - still no updates installed , or what updates to install in `Windows Update` GUI ...

Second day , loosed my patience , formatted HDD (C:) and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 and after another day waiting for updates , still no luck...

Fourth day , again formatted HDD and installed Windows 10 (1607) - this time updates need only a few seconds to install ...

Note  :  I have to mention that  , at first a thought it was a problem  with system files or windows update files and  did all that Microsoft recommends in this cases ( Microsoft FixIt , sfc /scannow  and so on ... )  and the HDD is new .

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, AlienForce1 said:

This week I installed Windows 7 on a PC and tried to update it (from Windows Update) . After a day , leaving updates to Automatic ( I did let the PC started ) - still no updates installed , or what updates to install in `Windows Update` GUI ...

Second day , loosed my patience , formatted HDD (C:) and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 and after another day waiting for updates , still no luck...

Fourth day , again formatted HDD and installed Windows 10 (1607) - this time updates need only a few secconds to install ...

Same here... :angry:

I faced a similar issue with my 2 yrs old windows 7 installations on 2 machines. I learnt it the hard way by running a in place upgrade on Windows 7 which didn't fix the windows update issue but broke so many more things, anywayz the problem occurred with almost all windows 7 installations I have come across and the fix is very simple. Just manually download and install cumulative update packs for Windows 7 for the month of may to August 2016 from Microsoft and your windows 7 will magically start showing and downloading all the updates. I have fixed every single machine I have seen with this method where no other fixes ever worked. Good luck! 

Starting  this month it will be cumulative updates anyways..  IE will be a separate update though meaning you could download 2 updates offline and install them all,. they are getting rid of legacy updates..

Microsoft won't bundle IE patches with new cumulative updates for Windows 7 and 8.1

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3121732/security/microsoft-wont-bundle-ie-patches-with-new-cumulative-updates-for-windows-7-and-81.html

I think the reason there keeping IE separate is some places are required to use a outdated version of IE  by the government and they have a  block put on Ie so it want update  and it would cause a lot of trouble if they put them in the same update like windows 10   They dont want  the Govt after them.. and no there not getting rid of it too many business  still use it  and required  at a government level.

I still have 2 windows 7 PCs  on my network I just  have updates turned off and update on patch Tuesday it always takes  awhile  but  soon Oct 11th you will be able to reformat clean and download 2 updates  install them you will updated ..It really want no need for auto updates  anymore .

you set your Windows update to "automatic" and Windows didn't get the chance to check for updates for you. fine, did you also try checking " manually " for updates ?

P.S this was always like this when automatic was set in Windows updates. I never let my fresh Windows 7 or 8.1 to check for updates whenever it wants (automatic way) because you need updates to be installed before installing other programs or even device drivers on your fresh system, so always clicked on "check for updates" button. but after that you can leave it to automatic.

btw don't compare updating procedure of Windows 10's fast cumulative update system with Windows 8.1's or 7's, there is no proof that they run or should run at the same time or speed.

1 hour ago, Fantastic said:

It will take almost 2 days for the updates to appear(at least for windows 7). Reason unknown.  

That didn`t happened before (at least for me , never before had problems update Windows 7 )

Windows 8.1 , yes , has a little time to show the updates available , but not 24 hours ...

5 minutes ago, AlienForce1 said:

That didn`t happened before (at least for me , never before had problems update Windows 7 )

Windows 8.1 , yes , has a little time to show the updates available , but not 24 hours ...

Come OCT 11th none of this will matter no more, there will be only 2 updates you can get them offline from Microsoft only windows that will have legacy updates still will be Vista tell updates expire on it.

20 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

you set your Windows update to "automatic" and Windows didn't get the chance to check for updates for you. fine, did you also try checking " manually " for updates ?

Spoiler

P.S this was always like this when automatic was set in Windows updates. I never let my fresh Windows 7 or 8.1 to check for updates whenever it wants (automatic way) because you need updates to be installed before installing other programs or even device drivers on your fresh system, so always clicked on "check for updates" button. but after that you can leave it to automatic.

btw don't compare updating procedure of Windows 10's fast cumulative update system with Windows 8.1's or 7's, there is no proof that they run or should run at the same time or speed.

I always set the updates to never (and stop the related services) and update only manually , when I decide to do it . 

The PC in case was for office use , for a company we provide service and maintenance - that`s why it was set to Automatic (we intervene on demand) .

Why worry about the past  nothing you done on Windows 7 or  Windows 8.1 is going to matter in a few days

Monthly Rollup

From October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Monthly Rollup that addresses both security issues and reliability issues in a single update. The Monthly Rollup will be published to Windows Update (WU), WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Each month’s rollup will supersede the previous month’s rollup, so there will always be only one update required for your Windows PCs to get current. i.e. a Monthly Rollup in October 2016 will include all updates for October, while November 2016 will include October and November updates, and so on. Devices that have this rollup installed from Windows Update or WSUS will utilize express packages, keeping the monthly download size small.

Over time, Windows will also proactively add patches to the Monthly Rollup that have been released in the past. Our goal is eventually to include all of the patches we have shipped in the past since the last baseline, so that the Monthly Rollup becomes fully cumulative and you need only to install the latest single rollup to be up to date. We encourage you to move to the Monthly Rollup model to improve reliability and quality of updating all versions of Windows.

We are planning to add these previously shipped patches over the next year and will document each addition so IT admins know which KBs have been included each month.

Security-only updates

Also from October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Security-only update. This update collects all of the security patches for that month into a single update. Unlike the Monthly Rollup, the Security-only update will only include new security patches that are released for that month. Individual patches will no longer be available. The Security-only update will be available to download and deploy from WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Windows Update will publish only the Monthly Rollup – the Security-only update will not be published to Windows Update. The security-only update will allow enterprises to download as small of an update as possible while still maintaining more secure devices.

Update documentation changes 

To bring consistency to the release notes model introduced with Windows 10, we will also be updating our down-level documentation to provide consolidated release notes with the Rollups for all supported versions of Windows. We’ll extend and provide release notes for monthly rollup updates and also the security-only updates that will be introduced from October 2016.  

Microsoft Update Catalog

The Microsoft Update Catalog website is being updated to remove the ActiveX requirement so it can work with any browser. Currently, Microsoft Update Catalog still requires that you use Internet Explorer. We are working to remove the ActiveX control requirement, and expect to launch the updated site soon.

.NET Framework Monthly Rollup

The .NET Framework will also follow the Monthly Rollup model with a monthly release known as the .NET Framework Monthly Rollup. The monthly .NET Framework Monthly Rollup will deliver both security and reliability updates to all versions of the .NET Framework as a single monthly release, targeting the same timing and cadence as Windows. It is important to note that the rollup for the .NET Framework will only deliver security and quality updates to the .NET Framework versions currently installed on your machine. It will not automatically upgrade the base version of the .NET Framework that is installed. Additionally, the .NET Framework team will also release a security-only update on Microsoft Update Catalog and Windows Server Update Services every month.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

Welcome  to  updates Windows 10 style were if you  get a  bad  update you need to  do a restore and turn them off tell they fix the bug . :P

Is Windows Update searching for updates right now? If so, reboot.

Download and install KB3185911 and reboot. Run WU manually. Done. Tested and works flawlessly.

Is this the newest Microsoft`s strategy

yes man,this now days reality,this shit happenin' last half year (at least).fu**in' micro$oft forcin' ppl to use win 10.

a week ago installed win 8.1 with Bing to my friend's laptop & spent some time to find a way for install damn update (installed couple ones manually first)

any case we still can install OS we want to but not too easy as before.

time to time thinkin' about Linux,who knows;)

Monthly Rollup , Security-only updates , Update documentation changes , Microsoft Update Catalog and .NET Framework Monthly Rollup  might be a good thing - we will have smaller updates , but also a very bad thing - we won`t be able to choose what updates to install (like before this) .

2 minutes ago, gipsy said:

yes man,this now days reality,this shit happenin' last half year (at least).fu**in' micro$oft forcin' ppl to use win 10.

a week ago installed win 8.1 with Bing to my friend's laptop & spent some time to find a way for install damn update (installed couple ones manually first)

any case we still can install OS we want to but not too easy as before.

time to time thinkin' about Linux,who knows;)

Microsoft never forced me to use Windows 10 I started using Windows 10 because i used windows 8.1 since 2014  and I got bored of Windows 8.1 . I have Linux  and Windows 10  on the 2 pcs i use the most. My family they old and  still want Windows 7 so i keep it updated for them and they never had a problem with Windows 10  all  was needed is not ito nstall GWX and get windows 10 updates  :)

8 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

Is Windows Update searching for updates right now? If so, reboot.

Download and install KB3185911 and reboot. Run WU manually. Done. Tested and works flawlessly.

I must say that I`m not a complete ignorant  when  it`s about  PC-s   and no expert, though .  B)

I try to learn and I am open to any good advice . Thank you !   

PS : Read the first post - I tried all Microsoft`s advices related this problem , and  other possible solutions I did find on internet  - but , I have my limits ... :unsure:

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

Microsoft never forced me to use Windows 10 I started using Windows 10 because i used windows 8.1 since 2014

man,i'm not old but personally  do not see any reason to upgrade to win 10 so any tricks like windows 7/8.1 update issue i rate as a try to force me change my opinion.

f**k i will .

5 minutes ago, gipsy said:

man,i'm not old but personally  do not see any reason to upgrade to win 10 so any tricks like windows 7/8.1 update issue i rate as a try to force me change my opinion.

f**k i will .

well if you're happy on Windows 7  the worse they could do give you a update that is  full of spyware and break something , I wish my family would buy a new Windows 10 PC because after having too make sure they didn't get Windows 10 for a year and now having to fool with  slow ass updates im fed up .

7 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I wish my family would buy a new Windows 10 PC because after having too make sure they didn't get Windows 10 for a year

they still could do that

P.S u r ryt ,i'm happy with win 7,it's just a tool,tool wich doin' what i need it do,nothin' more

12 minutes ago, gipsy said:

They got the money to buy a pc ..I dont even think the laptop would run windows 10 good  ..Its a old small HP x86  that came with Vista  upgraded to Windows 7  ,They just use it to surf the internet and do work on office , I ask them  about windows 10 they say they dont know  if they be living  even in 2020 . People want buy anything anymore most  PCs  with Windows 10 came with Widows Vista thorough Windows 8.1 ..Still most PCs are just windows 7 lol.

26 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Still most PCs are just windows 7 lol.

as i know lots of PC still on XP :D

ok... even i have once started a thread regarding this prob... months back.... (which was unsolved by no one.. nor here nor to that windows7 forums)

but after some month it got solved for me.. me able to download all new updates normally.. last week i downloaed all those latest security updates (nearly 10) within a 2 mins..

now i dont remember what actually i did / wat happen that now me able to download updates in good speed.

There was some patch.. update patched released by microsoft which i installed thru windows updates only and after that only everything became normal for me...  i have to do deep search..as wat patch it was

And after that i even use tweaker.coms win repair tool... checked options like reset service,register sys files,repair IE,repair host files,repair network,proxy settings..Reapir MSI <WINDOWS INSTALLER> etc.

now me confuse which one did that update prob solved as after a pc shutdown .. on nxt day.. voila everything was  fast

me using win7 sp1 32bit

It also happen to me everytime I fresh install Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, WU is busy, high memory use and still doesn't show the update list.

So this is what I do :

I manually download and install :

1. KB2852386 : Link

2. KB3102810 : Link

3. KB947821 : Link

After restart, WU working just fine for me.. Tested both on my old laptop and pc.

Note : I forget where I found this solution but I remember clearly it's not from Microsoft`s advice or Microsoft`s forum.

wu_fix.jpg

@steven36 Have you looked at simplix pack. Its a pack that contain all the updates after SP1 to update Windows 7.

For Windows 8.1 use tools like WHDownloader 0.0.2.2 or KUC and there are others out there. I would recommend members here to look for alternatives. Microsoft Catalog will be great source but only if it offers each update individullay

20 minutes ago, Ghazi said:

@steven36 Have you looked at simplix pack. Its a pack that contain all the updates after SP1 to update Windows 7.

For Windows 8.1 use tools like WHDownloader 0.0.2.2 or KUC and there are others out there. I would recommend members here to look for alternatives. Microsoft Catalog will be great source but only if it offers each update individullay

That sollution isn`t viable for company use - they need to have the PC-s updated and protected , without any user to intervene in this process .

Archived