Smartphones are distracting us to death...

humble3d

Smartphones are distracting us to death...

but we can fight back

As the World Wide Web has become a staple of modern life over the last 25 years, we’ve used it in ways that have forever changed our relationships with people and information.

That’s come with a big drawback, one expert says: We appear to be living less in the present moment, and communicating less with each other.

Larry Rosen, a research psychologist and past chair of the psychology department at California State University, Dominguez Hills, studies the impact of technology on our lives.

In his new book “The Distracted Mind: Ancient Brains in a High-Tech World,” written with neuroscientist Adam Gazzaley of the University of California, San Francisco, he examines how communications technology might be making us miserable—and more prone to distraction.

Real human interaction, Rosen says, is more than just exchanging words or images on a screen.

It involves body language, tone of voice, interpretation of moods, consequences, and the intimacy that comes with dealing with another person face-to-face.

“We’re not communicating anymore,” Rosen told MarketWatch in a recent interview. “Just connecting.”

That eerie sentiment is captured in a recent series by photographer Eric Pickersgill, where he photographed everyday individuals using their devices but removed their devices just before he took the photograph.

--READ MORE--

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/our-phones-are-distracting-us-to-death-but-we-can-fight-back-2016-09-16

• Replies 2
  • Views 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had my car run into 3 times, each time by a female on a cell phone.  One was driving a full size pickup truck approaching my butt as I was stopped behind another car at a red light... I could watch her smiles and lips moving in my rear view mirror as she was coming at me, she didn't even slow down - tossed me around like a rag doll in my car even after I had thought for those two seconds how to best brace for impact.  She was telling someone on that phone, I assume same person - omg probably how she just crashed when this car stopped suddenly in front of her.     So weird.   Cell phones & driving don't mix.. I have experienced the wrath of the cell phone driver too much.  Sure is an odd way for women to meet men.

Archived