Akamai: Asia and Europe lead the way in terms of fastest average internet speeds

Batu69

A new ‘State of the Internet’ report from Akamai reveals which countries had the fastest internet connections during the second quarter of 2016. The report shows the usual suspects in its top ten list, including South Korea and the Scandinavian states: Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland.

The top 10 countries, ranked by fastest average connections speeds were:

1. South Korea – 27 Mbps
  2. Norway – 20.1 Mbps
  3. Hong Kong – 19.5 Mbps
  4. Sweden – 18.8 Mbps
  5. Switzerland – 18.3 Mbps
  6. Finland – 17.6 Mbps
  7. Latvia – 17.5 Mbps
  8. Singapore – 17.2 Mbps
  9. Japan – 17.1 Mbps
  10. Iceland – 17 Mbps

According to Akamai, the global average connection speeds were 6.1 Mbps, up 14% since the previous year but down 2.3% from the last quarter. The global average peak connection speeds reached 36 Mbps, up 2.5% since the previous year and up 3.7% since the last quarter. All the countries listed above saw an increase in their average connection speeds since the previous year with changes between 5.1% and 55%.

The top 10 countries in terms of average peak connection speeds were:

1. Singapore – 157.3 Mbps
  2. Hong Kong – 114.3 Mbps
  3. South Korea – 110.1 Mbps
  4. Bahrain – 100.9 Mbps
  5. Qatar – 97.8 Mbps
  6. Macao – 94.5 Mbps
  7. Indonesia – 91.9 Mbps
  8. Taiwan – 88.8 Mbps
  9. Japan – 95.3 Mbps
  10. Romania – 84.2 Mbps

You may have noticed that many countries with large economies are nowhere to be seen in these lists, here’s how a few of them fared (ranked by GDP):

• United States – Avg. 15.3 Mbps, Peak 69.7 Mbps
  • China – Avg. 5.2 Mbps, Peak 35.4 Mbps
  • Germany – Avg. 14.1 Mbps, Peak 55.7 Mbps
  • United Kindom – Avg. 15.0 Mbps, Peak 62.1 Mpbs
  • France – Avg. 9.6 Mbps, Peak 40.5 Mbps

The countries with the worst connection speeds were in South America and Africa. In South America, average speeds varied between 7 Mbps and just 1.8 Mbps.

In Africa, Kenya managed to get an average speed of 7.7 Mbps and a peak of 26.4 Mbps, both figures being the highest in any recorded African country. Source: Akamai (PDF) via Broadband Choices |

Article source

• Replies 6
  • Views 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I find it funny when I read Asia leads in speeds.

I wonder what can be done to actually improve speeds though. Is it more about the cables connecting countries or about the country's own infrastructure for the internet and such.

10 hours ago, DKT27 said:

-Is it more about the cables connecting countries

or

-about the country's own infrastructure for the internet

I think it is the 2nd that counts more:

Compare Romania's High-Speed Internet  vs.  the Low-Speed Internet of Romania's neighboring countries. ;)

The tax payer funded fiber optic line is in sight of my house,(about 800 feet) but I cannot get it, business only allowed.

The best I can get is 3 meg dsl. But I pay taxes.

India will most likely go for 3G/4G, it's easier to achieve and a lot cheaper than doing regular infrastructure that can never reach capacity because of mostly poorer residents.

I do not know why the forgotten Czech Republic B)

• Administrator
On 1/10/2016 at 7:11 PM, pc71520 said:

I think it is the 2nd that counts more:

Compare Romania's High-Speed Internet  vs.  the Low-Speed Internet of Romania's neighboring countries. ;)

Maybe true. But the surrounding matters too. Like, India's internet is slowest in the Indian sub-continent, but whole Indian sub-continent's overall internet speeds are not much fast either. But yes, that indeed matters.

On 2/10/2016 at 3:16 AM, n0_risk! said:

India will most likely go for 3G/4G, it's easier to achieve and a lot cheaper than doing regular infrastructure that can never reach capacity because of mostly poorer residents.

Yes. The country is pushing for 4G and such. As, unlike mobile, computer revolution never happened, not much wired broadband here when compared to wireless one.

However, the telephone line, I guess goes to the most villages of the country, so ADSL is possible.

The problem is bandwidth. My ISP's cables, which are fiber based, reach top of my building then it comes to the house through LAN wire. So basically we are on fiber. But, inspite of being on fiber, the bandwidth costs are really high and people like me, when we speak of uncapped unlimited internet, can only afford 2Mbps internet here.

Archived