Disabling Win10 Updates help wanted..

InsaneAl

Forgive me for asking many questions lately but I really want to nip this update thing in the bud (stop it in its tracks) asap...

I am running Win10 Home Premium and as you may already know, many settings are not able to be accessed like in Pro and higher versions. That doesn't mean they cant be found though... I am slowly fixing what the Win10 1607 update made go wrong and maybe the last urgent thing I need to address is the auto updates that MS force down our throats. In Win10 Home  you cannot access GPE - Policy Editor, you can use other Admin features to edit "some" settings but GPE goes very deep where, theses others don't. I have found a way hopefully to try to block large updates, via a metered connection, which Home Premium does not show any settings for (at least mine doesn't). Usually the trick is to set WiFi to "Metered", however I don't have WiFi connection to the internet, nor to I have an Ethernet connection made, although I do use an ethernet connection to a modem and a fibre optics connection from there on. In my opinion, it's the least troublesome connection of all once set up - done my wire to the modem. However, I let Win10 configure this conection for me and simply set up a network connection something like a PC - PC ethernet connection, only it goes to the modem of course..

I found the registry key for this connection and the trick is to change its value from 1 (Non metered) to 2 (Metered) which automatically stops many updates from taking up huge chunks of your supposed metered limited data connection, but being a network setup, it has no usual name in the registry like - WiFi,, Ethernet,, G3 etc. Mine is simply called "FirstNewtork"  as follows,,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList]
"FirstNetwork"=dword:00000002

As you can see I have changed the 1 to 2 (00000002), so theoretically even this connection "should" now be a metered one.. Does anyone know if this is actually so, being a straight network LAN type setup... I reckon it should still work but have no idea whether it will or not... Can anyone help me on this and give a Yes or No answer and even add a little if you know more,, Pro & Cons etc...

Cheers and thanks...

As a footnote, I followed many of the usual methods when I frist set up Win10, months ago but only some work.. Updates obviously is not one of them...

InsaneAl

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, november_ra1n said:

Re: Sevices.msc,,

I thought I had already disabled this or a similar service setting months ago, but I just checked and it was back on... Thanks for the reminder... I'm going to read that page you linked to, there's some interesting stuff there...

Cheers...

InsaneAl

15 hours ago, InsaneAl said:

Forgive me for asking many questions lately but I really want to nip this update thing in the bud (stop it in its tracks) asap...

I am running Win10 Home Premium and as you may already know, many settings are not able to be accessed like in Pro and higher versions. That doesn't mean they cant be found though... I am slowly fixing what the Win10 1607 update made go wrong and maybe the last urgent thing I need to address is the auto updates that MS force down our throats. In Win10 Home  you cannot access GPE - Policy Editor, you can use other Admin features to edit "some" settings but GPE goes very deep where, theses others don't. I have found a way hopefully to try to block large updates, via a metered connection, which Home Premium does not show any settings for (at least mine doesn't). Usually the trick is to set WiFi to "Metered", however I don't have WiFi connection to the internet, nor to I have an Ethernet connection made, although I do use an ethernet connection to a modem and a fibre optics connection from there on. In my opinion, it's the least troublesome connection of all once set up - done my wire to the modem. However, I let Win10 configure this conection for me and simply set up a network connection something like a PC - PC ethernet connection, only it goes to the modem of course..

I found the registry key for this connection and the trick is to change its value from 1 (Non metered) to 2 (Metered) which automatically stops many updates from taking up huge chunks of your supposed metered limited data connection, but being a network setup, it has no usual name in the registry like - WiFi,, Ethernet,, G3 etc. Mine is simply called "FirstNewtork"  as follows,,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList]
"FirstNetwork"=dword:00000002

As you can see I have changed the 1 to 2 (00000002), so theoretically even this connection "should" now be a metered one.. Does anyone know if this is actually so, being a straight network LAN type setup... I reckon it should still work but have no idea whether it will or not... Can anyone help me on this and give a Yes or No answer and even add a little if you know more,, Pro & Cons etc...

Cheers and thanks...

As a footnote, I followed many of the usual methods when I frist set up Win10, months ago but only some work.. Updates obviously is not one of them...

InsaneAl

use o&o shutup10

1 hour ago, visualbuffs said:

use o&o shutup10

Thanks for the tip visual',, I will look into that asap, right after my software round up on Nsane. Cheers..

IsaneAl

Addtionally if you not using MSN messager, disable BITS in services.msc. Also disable UpdateOrchestrator and Windows Update in taskschd.msc

Command Prompt (Admin)

net stop BITS
sc config BITS start= disabled
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" /Disable
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Refresh Settings" /Disable
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\USO_UxBroker_Display" /Disable
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\USO_UxBroker_ReadyToReboot" /Disable
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Automatic App Update" /Disable
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\sih" /Disable
Schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\sihboot" /Disable

hi. i use Proxifier and block (use inactive proxy) all M$ related host. never got auto-update. whenever i want to update, just change it back to working proxy (or use direct connection).

and i think it works well for the M$ spy-thingy too. use it with Fiddler to control windows store app too (if u use em).

Archived