Moscow dumps Microsoft software for reduced reliance on foreign tech

Batu69

Moscow Drops Microsoft on Putin’s Call for Self-Sufficiency

Moscow city will replace Microsoft Corp. programs with domestic software on thousands of computers in answer to President Vladimir Putin’s call for Russia’s authorities to reduce dependence on foreign technology amid tensions with the U.S. and Europe.

The city will initially replace Microsoft’s Exchange Server and Outlook on 6,000 computers with an e-mail system installed by state-run carrier Rostelecom PJSC, Artem Yermolaev, head of information technology for Moscow, told reporters Tuesday. Moscow may expand deployment of the new software, developed by Russia’s New Cloud Technologies, to as many as 600,000 computers and servers, and may also consider replacing Windows and Office, Yermolaev said.

Putin is urging state entities and local companies to go domestic amid concerns over security and reliability after U.S. firms shut down paid services in Crimea following Russia’s 2014 annexation. The plan poses a challenge to the likes of Microsoft, SAP SE and Oracle Corp. in the country’s $3 billion software market.

Adding to pressure, Putin’s internet czar German Klimenko wants to raise taxes on U.S. technology companies to help Russian competitors such as Yandex NV and Mail.ru Group Ltd.

"We want the money of taxpayers and state-run firms to be primarily spent on local software," Communications Minister Nikolay Nikiforov told reporters. From 2017, government entities including the Federal Anti-Monopoly Service, General Prosecutor’s Office and Audit Chamber "will be tightening their grip" on state institutions that aren’t switching to domestic alternatives, he said.

Microsoft declined to comment.

Government entities spend about 20 billion rubles ($295 million) a year on foreign software, according Nikiforov. His ministry has produced a list of nearly 2,000 Russian software products that state-run companies should use instead of products from global vendors.

Moscow’s government has already switched Cisco Systems Inc. technology for city surveillance cameras to local software, Yermolaev said. State media company Rossiya Segodnya and Moscow’s regional government switched from Oracle database systems to open-code PostgreSQL software supported by local programmers, according to Digital Russia.

Article source

• Replies 14
  • Views 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Batu69 said:

Moscow Drops Microsoft on Putin’s Call for Self-Sufficiency

Smart move as Russians can easily develop their own software. :coolwink:

4 hours ago, pc71520 said:

Smart move as Russians can easily develop their own software. :coolwink:

They should've done it long time ago...like all world should.

3 hours ago, namek said:

That's a 2 way street  in my home we dumped Kaspersky for another product  why should we trust vendors that dont trust the OS they make products for? ..They make tons of money making software that work on Windows and other O/S from the states . It dont surprise me next  thing you know,  they will not have access  too most of the internet like China . If you like being told what  software you cannot use  its great ! :P

11 hours ago, steven36 said:

That's a 2 way street  in my home we dumped Kaspersky for another product  why should we trust vendors that dont trust the OS they make products for? ..They make tons of money making software that work on Windows and other O/S from the states . It dont surprise me next  thing you know,  they will not have access  too most of the internet like China . If you like being told what  software you cannot use  its great ! :P

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what are talking about Sir, it's only for governmental use. Not for home users. Every user still have a choice. Besides, Microsoft isn't a good choice anymore.

18 hours ago, namek said:

Russia & China can...:yes:

For everyone else in the world...:think:

6 hours ago, namek said:

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what are talking about Sir, it's only for governmental use. Not for home users. Every user still have a choice. Besides, Microsoft isn't a good choice anymore.

Its not just the Government  its also local business .

Putin is urging state entities and local companies to go domestic amid concerns over security and reliability after U.S. firms shut down paid services in Crimea following Russia’s 2014 annexation. The plan poses a challenge to the likes of Microsoft, SAP SE and Oracle Corp. in the country’s $3 billion   software  market. Adding to pressure, Putin’s internet czar German Klimenko wants to raise taxes on U.S. technology companies to help Russian competitors such as Yandex NV and Mail.ru Group Ltd..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-27/moscow-drops-microsoft-outlook-as-putin-urges-self-sufficiency

And  they not even replacing  windows yet just  2 programs  by Microsoft  witch i dont  use these programs ether.

The city hall will replace Microsoft’s Exchange Server and Outlook on 6,000 computers at first with a corporate e-mail system called MyOffice Mail to be installed by state-run phone carrier Rostelecom PJSC, Artem Yermolaev, head of information technology for Moscow, told reporters Tuesday. The city may expand the new software, developed by Russian company New Cloud Technologies, to as many as 600,000 machines, and may also consider replacing Windows and Office later on, Yermolaev said.

Its not about is Microsoft a good choice or not  ,its about freedom  to use what you want . I know I would not want my Government to tell me not to use a certain Linux Distros  or Programs just because they were made somewhere else  . They raise Taxes  then people want have a choice but too use domestic or warez it unless there rich  that dont help the Russians none   because  anyone can use paypal and buy stuff from Russia in Russian money really cheap.  And its still a 2 way street in the USA you cant buy real Russian Vodka  or Caviar  unless its on the black market  ..The next thing you know  the USA will stop allowing people to buy software from there too or raise taxes on it ..  Every action causes a reaction . The only thing is open trade to everyone is the internet software markets still  now the Governments  of the world going ruin that too.

Probably some of the most commonplace files used around the world are textual documents, spreadsheets, data base managers and graphic design applications. Might Putin like it or not, Russian software MUST be compatible with existent file formats and.actually worldwide used applications are pruduced by Rusian programmers.

A "funny" detail is that some applications dominate the market and that means, the "alikes" must produce files compatible with the mainstream. Just as an example, all word processors heve their own native file format but all of them have the option to "save as" DOC and DOCX, while Winword doesn't care a bit about any other formats, except PDF - but PDF is a case apart!

Quite similar is the case of AUTOCAD; its alikes and clones have their own format but all of them MUST BE compatible for DWG and by the way, have it updated to the latest AUTOCAD version (currently 2017)

Just as the above mentioned there are much more applications, maybe less known but for users, just as important, in the same case.

So Russias might develop their own operating system and applications for it, but somehow they still must be aware about worldwide standards

Its just like Linux  ..If you decide make 100% switch you need make sure you have a program that can 100% replace everything you use on windows ..  In business and at home this is not always possible ..You could recommended  it to someone you know and replace  windows  with Linux and make them angry at you . some people still have XP machines even because it can do something with software that  no other O/S can.

And this not really Microsoft fault ether many developers refuse to code closed source software for Linux  like Autocad , Adobe etc, and Linux is 33 years old could you grasp trying too code everything you needed on a O/S no one uses you would have to  break every copyright law in the book too even do it , if you could even figure out how to code it ?

41 minutes ago, luisam said:

Just as the above mentioned there are much more applications, maybe less known but for users, just as important, in the same case.

So Russians might develop their own operating system and applications for it, but somehow they still must be aware about worldwide standards

I think Russian programmers already thinking all about this before they make decisions to change into their products.

This is a big deal involved about data, security, etc.

LOL, I can  decide to use Linux  stay on it  for most things like watching videos or listening to  music , checking emails etc,  but  i have certain applications  that have to get on windows  to work.

As far data  the only thing the Russian government  is worried about is data retention  this why my family stop using Kaspersky  . They pass laws for mandatory data retention laws. Once i told my family they passed this  they bought other security  software  and i had to replace it even i told them no need to worry yet there not  going start storing data tell July 1, 2018  it may get pushed off tell 2023. there key was about expire and they just bought something else . . Me myself  I never buy security  software  in  my 15 years  on the internet.  Laws always look good on paper  but applying them in real life is not that easy, just like  using a  O/S no one uses without shutting yourself off from the rest of the world. :P

Russia's telecom companies are now required to store the contents of telephone calls, text messages, videos, sounds, and picture messages for a period of six months. The metadata of these communications (information about transmission, delivery and receipt) are must be stored for three years. The same rules apply to Internet arrangers, the difference being that the metadata must only be stored for one year.

Besides data retention, the new obligations also require telecoms and Internet arrangers to provide information about users (and any other information that is deemed necessary) and to help the Federal Security Service with data encryption. Additionally, telecoms and Internet arrangers can be asked to cease the provision of communication services to a certain user if the user's identity cannot be identified.

Refusing to co-operate or store data according to the new rules can be quite costly, with administrative fines of up to 1 million rubles (approximately USD$15,500). How these liabilities will be applied in practice will be subject to future case law and administrative practice.

http://www.mondaq.com/russianfederation/x/526952/data+protection/Yarovaya+Law+Russian+Parliament+Passes+Package+Of+Laws+On+Data+Retention+Obligations

This is why i say  next thing you know they want be able to access sites that  dont keep logs for 6mths  for the Russian government.  If my country ever passes laws like this were if i use a vpn they can trun my internet off  I will no longer log on other than just too buy something  or read the news :)

Putin Bans Bill Gates And Microsoft From Russia

Posted on September 30, 2016 by Baxter Dmitry in News // Comments ()

Russian President Vladimir Putin has banned Microsoft products from Russia and placed Bill Gates on a Federal Security Service watchlist.

Citing “concerns over security and reliability,” Putin has ordered the removal of Microsoft software to begin immediately.

Government spokesman Sergei Zheleznyak explained that Microsoft had been caught carrying out “minute-by-minute surveillance” on millions of Russian citizens – as well as citizens of other countries.

The US, which presents itself as a bastion of democracy, has in fact been carrying out minute-by-minute surveillance of tens of millions of citizens of Russia and other countries.

All the main internet companies that were formed in the US are involved in this ugly story, and these companies operate on the territory of our country, said the Kremlin spokesman.

Microsoft founder Bill Gates’ place on a Federal Security Services (FSB) watchlist has also been raised for revue, pending further investigation, with expecations in the Kremlin that he will joinGeorge Soros and Jacob Rothschild on the Russian Federation’s blacklist.

Supporting local industry 

Bloomberg reported that Artem Ermolaev, head of information technology for Moscow, and Russia’s Communications Minister Nikolay Nikiforov, stated that Moscow will initially replace Microsoft Exchange Server and Outlook on thousands of computers with an email system developed by the Russian company Rostelecom PJSC.

Next year, it will install software developed by New Cloud Technologies — another Russian software vendor — on millions of systems. Even Microsoft Office and Windows will be replaced with homegrown versions, Ermolaev said.

We want the money of taxpayers and state-run firms to be primarily spent on local software,” Nikiforov said, adding that starting next year, officials “will be tightening their grip” on state-run institutions that do not opt for domestic alternatives.

Microsoft did not respond to requests for comment.

http://yournewswire.com/putin-bans-bill-gates-microsoft-russia/

Poor old Bill.....Oh i forgot he is in trouble in India as well..http://nsnbc.me/2013/05/08/bill-gates-polio-vaccine-program-caused-47500-cases-of-paralysis-death/

Archived