Google announces Google Station to offer free Wi-Fi services everywhere

Batu69

google_station.jpg

Google wants every public place on the planet to have fast Wi-Fi service.

Less than one year after Google began connecting railway stations in India with free Wi-Fi service, the company introduced a similar program to bring fast Wi-Fi service across the world. The company plans to bring fast Wi-Fi service to cafes, malls and all other places with a new initiative it calls Google Station.

At company's second installment of Google for India event in New Delhi today, Caesar Sengupta, VP of Google’s Next Billion Plan said the company is opening the platform to anyone and everyone who has a good internet connection.

The inspiration for Google Station came from the success of Google's partnership with Indian Railways to provide free Wi-Fi services at railway stations in India. Currently, Google claims, the service is live in 52 stations and over 3.5 million users use it every month. Google also reckons that 15,000 Indians access the internet for the first time using the free Wi-Fi service every day.

On its website, the company urges people to connect with the company, and discuss how they can help bring internet to more people. It also has plans to offer monetary benefits to its partners, Sengupta added.

"We'll be partnering with large venues and organizations, network operators, fiber providers, system integrators and infrastructure companies," the company describes on its website.

Article source

• Replies 7
  • Views 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As it looks, free WiFi in public spaces will be something like free illumination, once they find the commercial touch, how to get BIG money from free WiFi using some new kind of advertisement. Might be even complement the current billboards and replace aired AM-FM radios and TV stations, with satelite XM and TV stations replacing the current FM networks which have a rather limited local coverture.

3 hours ago, Chancer said:

Hands up everybody who trusts Google............

I believe you can trust Google as much as or maybe a little more than Strabucks, your favorite mall, your college's public WiFi or any public hotspot. Means: not too much, but may be useful with some security restrictions

4 hours ago, Chancer said:

Hands up everybody who trusts Google............

Whether or not you trust Google isn't really relevant.  It's whether you trust yourself.    If you're concerned about security take simple steps to be secure/more secure like using a VPN if using public wifi etc.

This is good.

The benefits outweighs the cons hopefully.

Much like free wifi in malls, school or cafes as said by luisam use it with caution.

This means don't do any banking transaction or stock trading on these hotspots!

• Administrator

While I agree with what is being said above, this has already taken place on many local stations in my city. Though never used it myself, I have heard some good things about it. It has got thumbs up from people who cannot buy mobile internet for themselves as they may not find them affordable enough.

Not so long ago, I was hearing an interview from what I remember was a top official at Google, who happened to be of Indian origin, he was expert in Google translations, making Google reach local public, Google innovations and Google advertisements. What he said is that the first thing they were told to do was to fix problems by finding ways and innovation and implement them, then, the second part was to add ads or making it monetarily profitable. Trust Google or not, what he said does fit what Google has been doing.

What I'm trying to say here is, while it's possible Google might introduce some sort of advertising and has done it to earn. But it has been benefiting people a lot. Also, even if Google does not go out of it's way to make this profitable, Google as an ad company is so big and has itself a lot to gain if more and more people get on the internet I think.

Archived