Number of wives and girlfriends convicted of assaulting partners reaches new high

rasbridge

Number of wives and girlfriends convicted of assaulting partners reaches new high

by David Wooding, 17th September 2016

A record 5,640 wives and girlfriends were convicted of assaulting their male partners last year — up from 1,850 in 2007.

The issue has become a taboo because victims are often too ashamed to talk about their experiences.

But an MP is now calling for action after evidence emerged the problem is growing at an alarming rate.

Stats released by the Attorney General show 177 women are convicted of domestic abuse EVERY WEEK.

They show 1,850 women were convicted of domestic violence in 2007 but last year the total dealt with by the courts had risen to 5,640.

Crown Prosecutors insist any form of domestic violence is serious and there is no bias or lack of concern when dealing with male victims.

Tory MP Philip Davies, who uncovered the stats, said: “When people think of domestic violence, they automatically think of men abusing women.

“But the vast increase in the number of women convicted of domestic violence over the past decade must not be overlooked.

“We must not forget the male victims.

“Both male and female perpetrators of domestic violence should be dealt with equally harshly by the courts and more should be done to help victims of domestic violence whether they are men or women.”

More than 52,000 women have been prosecuted for assaulting their partners since 2006, the figures show.

But organisations that offer help to male victims are sparse.

There are fewer than 100 beds in 20 refuges or safe houses for male victims in the UK, compared with 7,500 for women.

One male victim of domestic abuse told The Sun on Sunday that when he was attacked by his girlfriend it was assumed that he was the abuser.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity, he said: “Fairly early on in our relationship I realised my girlfriend had anger management problems and could get violent.

“She told me that she had been physically abused by her father.

“I suggested that she went and got help but she refused to do so.

“She would often punch or slap me if we had simple disagreements and then would apologise and get very upset.

“It all came to a head one night in a bar when we had both had too much to drink.

“We got into an argument as we were leaving and she punched me in the face several times and broke my nose.

“She began kicking me and I was telling her to clam down and was trying to hold her away from me.

“She was screaming and out of control.

“Two guys came out of the pub and began attacking me.

“I was on the floor telling them that I was the victim but they didn’t stop kicking until she told them that she had hit me.

“After that I told her to get help but she refused so I went to the police.

“The police were unwilling to help and I eventually dropped charges and ended our relationship.”

John Mays, the chairman of the Parity, which campaigns for equal rights for men and women, said: “In 30 to 40 percent of domestic violence cases men are the victims and in many cases the injuries sustained are very severe.

“One of the great tragedies of male victim domestic violence is that there are very few safe houses for men who are seeking refuge with their children while there are over 9,000 for women.

“This is a problem which needs to be urgently addressed.”

Source:  https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1802863/domestic-violence-against-men-soars-to-record-levels-as-number-of-cases-treble-in-past-decade/

• Replies 3
  • Views 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great topic,

I've clicked this link too many times today,

only to close it again because the formatting sucks,

I really miss this text that points out key points

-- Thanks for source,

much better to read.

To be honest, there is indeed a evolutional gap between guys and girls and guys are generally stronger but that doesn't mean you can't protect yourself at all and have to let it go but the stronger part may often be the reason why it could easily get out of control and instead of acting, nothing happens. No matter who punches first, he deserves the same back.

Archived