Reliance Jio allegedly sending your Call Information to Foreign servers

ARMOUR

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QnoEU9xaKgg/VxsyyfdQFHI/AAAAAAAAEog/rB-HQjIO2U8t9s-KtdgAh-7oGDsf-zwngCLcB/s320/jio%2Blogo.png

There’s no stopping the juggernaut that is Reliance Jio from making headlines. However, the circumstances are a bit different today. Hackers from the infamous hacking group Anonymous have claimed that Reliance Jio apps are leaking user call data to foreign countries.

According to Anonymous, your call data is being sent to foreign servers located in USA and Singapore. Well, you can guess all the data in the eyes of NSA, PRISM, and other global surveillance. It’s still not clear what type of user data is being shared with the third parties and what they are doing with the data.

Anonymous India claims that two of the Jio apps including My Jio and Jio Dialer (previously Jio Join) are sending user information to a mobile engagement platform by the name Mad-Me, which is nothing but an ad platform. The Mad-Me platform has their servers setup in the US and this might also be the reason why Reliance is sending data to the US servers. However, this time around, at least the data is being sent through an encrypted https

Anonymous India (@redteamin ) claims that Reliance Jio is sending this data to companies in the US and Singapore and has also listed a step-by-step guide for anyone to verify this themselves.

While we haven’t been able to verify this ourselves, the group has informed certain media outlets that the My Jio and Jio Dialer apps are the ones sending this information to an ad network called Mad-Me. The group further elaborates that the data being sent across to these overseas companies is encrypted, which means there’s lesser chance of someone intercepting these packets.

Source:

• Replies 2
  • Views 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

As soon as I read Singapore, the first thing that came to my mind was DNS servers. Singapore has some good servers, mainly only country with good servers near India.

But turns out it's not even that.

If you ask me, all the apps and services they are offering, they obviously might have licensed it, as making them from ground level is probably not possible for a company who's main work is not to make apps. So obviously, unless I'm wrong, the original code of the app would reach the source.

I know this is about apps and ads marketing, while concerning, but no real big deal I think.

Archived