Microsoft: Windows 10 now on 400 million devices

Batu69

Microsoft officials said Windows 10 has hit the 400 million 'active' device milestone, up from 300 million in early May.

Windows 10 is now running on 400 million active devices as of today, September 26, Microsoft officials said.

That's up from 300 million as of May 5, and 207 million at the end of March. "Active devices" mean devices than have been active in the past 28 days, Microsoft officials have said. The figure includes not only Windows 10 installed on PCs, tablets, and phones, but also on Xbox One consoles and HoloLens, Surface Hubs.

Microsoft's original goal was to have Windows 10 running on one billion devices by 2018, but execs recently conceded they wouldn't make that number until some unspecified time after that.

Microsoft execs shared the newest stats on the opening day of the Microsoft Ignite conference in Atlanta.

They also said that Windows Insider testers working with early Windows 10 "Redstone 2" builds soon should get their hands on a new Edge browser security feature that's been rumored for some time: Container-based isolation in the browser.

That container-based isolation is technology codenamed "Barcelona." While Windows 10 Enterprise currently supports containers for development purposes, Barcelona is specific to the browser baked into the operating system.

Microsoft execs have christened Barcelona "Windows Defender Application Guard," they said today. The feature will use virtualization-based security, isolating potentially malicious code in containers so it can't spread across company networks. Starting "early next year," Microsoft will start testing this feature with enterprise customers who've expressed interest, officials said.

Microsoft officials also said at Ignite today that the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) and Office 365 ATP services now "share intelligence mutually." These services help detect and thwart advanced attacks. And as of early 2017, Office 365 ATP will be extended to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint Online, and OneDrive for Business. Users will be able to get email with placeholder attachment and use "URL detonation" for analyzing links in real time.

Article source

• Replies 5
  • Views 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it'll neither grow or stay right there. Since we have the latest news on complete tracking[spying] on Windows 10 with MS confirming its notion, many have already moved to Linux or praising Apple, whether they are ready or not. I hope we can read in many sites/blogs/forums with articles on "Linux overtakes Windows in 2017!!!"

10 minutes ago, Batu69 said:

Not too much users care about tracking/spying on windows 10, I think only a few percent windows 10 users care about this :lol:

I think, now users care about it and many have understood & are discussing control strategy of MS with data collection & spying activities too. The comments here was just 2 or 3 on the posted date. However, currently more than 20+ and counting against Win 10. We know this isn't the only place this news was posted and those other sites should have more negative votes on Win 10 & MS.

8 minutes ago, vissha said:

I hope we can read in many sites/blogs/forums with articles on "Linux overtakes Windows in 2017!!!"

I hope my dream come true too :D .

Begging to all business/educations devices to move to Linux, this may be my/your dream come true too :D 

17 minutes ago, vissha said:

Since we have the latest news on complete tracking[spying] on Windows 10 with MS confirming its notion

Not too much users care about tracking/spying on windows 10, I think only a few percent windows 10 users care about this :lol:

Most of the world could care less about tracking spying ,they sold out too Facebook  and Google long ago they been selling everyone data for years .

"The desktop experience is less and less relevant today," says Shiraji. "Most people who work in organisations don't care about the OS -- they're more concerned by devices and apps. But to get the best from apps on hybrid devices, you do need an up-to-date OS, like Windows 10, to support touch and pens."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-what-do-cios-really-think-about-it/

The biggest problem with Windows 10 are the updates  you never know if its going botch  you up or not ..I like Linux but lets be realistic it has just as many problems as Windows if not more  there's  many users who plain to stay on the older versions  based on Ubuntu  14.04 tell 2019  ..Just like there's many Windows users who dont really like updating there are many Linux users who stay on old LTS releases . :)

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=228983&sid=2e9f63a7c26a3e1004bbbf2503612483

You may as well get use to Windows 10  its going to be around for a very long time.

The company will offer "mainstream" support for its upcoming OS until 2020 at the earliest, and "extended" support until at least 2025.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949826/windows/microsoft-makes-it-official-windows-10-will-receive-security-fixes-for-ten-years.html

I choose to use windows 10 and tweak it too my liking ,I have Linux too on  both my PCs with Windows 10 .. But Linux dont  have some of the apps I use that windows does also it dont have very good game support  for those who game.   You  have a few choices  you can tweak Windows 10  to you're liking or you can use Windows 7 or 8.1 ,

MAC OSX  PCs are expensive   and is  only popular in  developed nations  people can use Windows or Linux and dont have to invest in a new machine .But reality is only a few of us are willing to give up our software and Games we been using on windows  since we 1st  logged on the internet and just use Linux . Linux is not Windows .

People have been sacrificing there privacy in the name of convince , popularity and the fact things seem to be free when they cost you you're privacy .Everyone sold out to cooperate America  in some forum long ago Be it by Google services ,Software  ,Facebook .Apple OS  and other stuff. So why would they care now that Microsoft has got on board data harvesting train ,  there not going to give up  there convince  and adapt to a new OS to get back something they done gave away to someone else years  ago?

Instead of people moving away from these privacy intrusive things they are the most profitable companies in the world today.  In order for it too make a difference  they would have to give it all up,  because you can use Linux,  install Google Chrome  and sign in and use there services web sites etc use Facebook you're  still selling you're  data . Microsoft  O/S is what i been using for the  last 15 years.. they gave me much enjoyment before most of these services existed  Facebook and Google could close down something would just take its place. I dont  use Facebook and the only things Google i use is Google search  and YouTube not signed in and  I can live with or without them because i use other ones too.  :P

2 hours ago, vissha said:

I don't think it'll neither grow or stay right there. Since we have the latest news on complete tracking[spying] on Windows 10 with MS confirming its notion, many have already moved to Linux or praising Apple, whether they are ready or not. I hope we can read in many sites/blogs/forums with articles on "Linux overtakes Windows in 2017!!!"

A report released on Arstechnica stated that at least 12% of the computers that upgraded to Windows 10 have been rolled back to their previous OS.  Their was also a suggestion that Microsoft compensate users whose upgrade and updates screwed up their systems in any way.   I have been replacing Windows 10 with 7 or 8.1 on all the new computers that I can't get with those OSes already installed.  Linux is a fine OS though everyone's experience with it will vary based upon you level of computer literacy.  Like any OS, it needs to be tweaked to your particular tasks and desires.  What runs fine for one person may be crap for another, mostly based upon differences in hardware.  It makes an excellent system for people who only use the internet for surfing and email, particularly for senior citizens.  A friend, whose 89 year old mother kept screwing up her Windows system that she only uses for email, banking and surfing, had to make weekly visits to fix her system. She has not had a problem in 4 months since we put Linux on her computer and he hasn't had to go over to fix anything.

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

MAC OSX  PCs are expensive   and is  only popular in  developed nations  people can use Windows or Linux and dont have to invest in a new machine .But reality is only a few of us are willing to give up our software and Games we been using on windows  since we 1st  logged on the internet and just use Linux . Linux is not Windows .

Though I have some MacBooks, I also have many hackintoshes.  I built my first hackintosh on a Dell Mini 9, covered up the Dell Logo with a white Apple Logo and everyone was asking me where I got the little Mac.  I prefer the hackintosh over the true MacBook since it can be built on a faster system.  I have not experienced any problems with the hackintosh systems and they run all the software that I run on a MacBook, only faster.  Some HP laptops lend themselves to installing OSX with little modification required except replacing the wireless card, an inexpensive and easy switch.  

I have always had multiple computers with different versons of windows, linux, and mac osx running without having to dual boot to do so.  In this respect I can configure systems to do certain tasks and run specific software.  So I have gaming systems with Win98, WinXP, Win7, and Win8.1 all running games that were designed for those specific systems.  I have several linux systems and several Macs, all running different versions of the OS.  I just started getting rid of some of my old systems that I built in the mid 90s and some of my laptops from the mid and late 90s because they were taking up too much room.  Even got rid of my 32CPU IBM AS400 server from the late 90s. How I hated twinax, token ring, muxes, baluns, and BosaNova cards.

Only version of Windows 10 I run is Enterprise LTSB and only in VMs.  I don't ever see it being a primary OS on any of my systems since it offers nothing that I need that isn't already provided by an earlier version of Windows or another OS.

in a world where social medias collect your every detail of life on their servers, looking at this problem only from one side and only caring about one company, is foolish. don't do that lol 

Archived