Open Source AMDGPU Driver Now Detects All Linux Kernel Supported AMD Radeon GPUs

vissha

Open Source AMDGPU Driver Now Detects All Linux Kernel Supported AMD Radeon GPUs

open-source-amdgpu-driver-now-detects-al

xf86-video-amdgpu 1.1.1 is now available for download

On September 15, 2016, Michel Dänzer had the great pleasure of announcing the release of the xf86-video-amdgpu 1.1.1 update to the open source AMDGPU graphics driver for AMD Radeon GPUs on GNU/Linux platforms.

According to the release notes, xf86-video-amdgpu 1.1.1 is the latest stable version of the driver, and the biggest new feature is that it's now capable of detecting all the AMD Radeon graphics cards that are supported upstream in the AMDGPU kernel driver. Additionally, it now offers support for X.Org Server version 1.9 to 1.18.

"I'm pleased to announce the 1.1.1 release of xf86-video-amdgpu, the X.Org driver for AMD Radeon GPUs supported by the AMDGPU kernel driver. This release supports X.Org Server versions 1.9-1.18," says Michel Dänzer in the release announcement. "This is a stable point release containing only fixes and other minor changes."

It also looks like over 20 issues reported by users since the previous maintenance release were addressed in xf86-video-amdgpu 1.1.1, and for that we recommend that you take a look at the full changelog attached at the end of article if you're curious to know what exactly has been changed.

In related news, Michel Dänzer also announced the release of the xf86-video-ati 7.7.1 X.Org video driver for ATI/AMD Radeon graphics cards that are supported by the radeon Linux kernel driver. There are eighteen changes implemented in this new stable version, which now offers support for X.Org Server versions 1.9 to 1.18.

Changelog:

Spoiler

Alex Deucher (1):
      add missing bonaire pci id

Flora Cui (3):
      add strato pci id
      Add more Polaris 10 PCI IDs
      Add more Polaris 11 PCI IDs

Marek Olšák (1):
      Fix cursor size for SI

Michel Dänzer (14):
      Handle Zaphod mode correctly in amdgpu_mode_hotplug
      glamor: Fix amdgpu_glamor_share_pixmap_backing for priv->bo == NULL
      Remove amdgpu_share_pixmap_backing
      Add amdgpu_pixmap_get_tiling_info
      Consolidate get_drawable_pixmap helper
      Move DRI2's local fixup_glamor helper to amdgpu_glamor_set_pixmap_bo v2
      glamor: Reallocate linear pixmap BO if necessary for DRI2 PRIME
      Destroy all dedicated scanout buffers during CloseScreen
      Only use RandR APIs if RandR is enabled
      DRI2: Add interpolated_vblanks in amdgpu_dri2_get_crtc_msc
      Add Mullins PCI IDs
      Add missing Kaveri PCI ID (1318)
      Use --with-xorg-conf-dir=$prefix/share/X11/xorg.conf.d by default
      Bump version for the 1.1.1 release

Qiang Yu (3):
      Remove RR_Capability_SinkOutput for GPU without CRTC.
      Fix amdgpu_mode_hotplug crash on multi GPU platform.
      DRI2: Fix amdgpu_dri2_exchange_buffers width/height copy'n'paste error

Ronie Salgado (1):
      Add SI PCI IDs

Source

• Replies 4
  • Views 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AMDGPU 1.1.1 X.Org Driver Released, Radeon 7.7.1 DDX Too

RADEON --
Today marks the release of the infrequent updates to the xf86-video-amdgpu and xf86-video-ati X.Org display drivers.

With the xf86-video-amdgpu 1.1.1 release they're caught up with PCI ID coverage for what's supported by the kernel driver, including finally having the Polaris 10/11 PCI IDs in a stable DDX driver release. Besides the Polaris detection is also Strato, Bonaire, Mullins, Kaveri, Southern Islands, and some other PCI IDs. Of course, for Southern Islands and friends these PCI ID additions are only relevant if enabling the experimental hardware support in the AMDGPU kernel driver (in the case of SI, that's not coming until at least Linux 4.9).

Besides having the numerous PCI ID additions, xf86-video-amdgpu has a number of crash/hang fixes, better Zaphod mode handling, a cursor size fix, better RandR handling, etc. More details here.

The xf86-video-ati 7.7.1 release meanwhile has various crash/hang/corruption fixes and other minor changes... Nothing too exciting with most of the open-source AMD work these days being on the newer AMDGPU-based stack. Those ATI/Radeon DDX details here.

Source:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-1.1.1-Released
This still dont help the problem im having i can't boot in too  Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS to install these drivers for my AMD Radeon GPU   too see if it works. maybe by  Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS ( February 2017)  it will be in the iso  . Linux mint 18 based on  Ubuntu 16.04  work fine on my  Intel  machine though.  :P

Hated On Mostly
21 hours ago, steven36 said:

Source:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-1.1.1-Released
This still dont help the problem im having i can't boot in too  Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS to install these drivers for my AMD Radeon GPU   too see if it works. maybe by  Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS ( February 2017)  it will be in the iso  . Linux mint 18 based on  Ubuntu 16.04  work fine on my  Intel  machine though.  :P

If you don't want to wait until Ubuntu 16.04.2 maybe try these options:

keep trying a Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS daily image, it might get the new drivers

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xenial/daily-live/pending/

Maybe try a Ubuntu 16.10 daily build, see if they have the necessary drivers

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Or how about when installing 16.04.1, updating to these drivers, before rebooting the system?

Or maybe a network install of 16.04.1 and again trying to update the drivers?

Or just use Linux Mint until 16.04.2 becomes official. :P

1 hour ago, Hated On Mostly said:

If you don't want to wait until Ubuntu 16.04.2 maybe try these options:

I'm not waiting tell it becomes Official it may not even work for me then I'm using   Manjaro Linux 16.08 it gets a new release about every 90 days that you just update trough the update manger . They have patched  AMD Catalyst ( AKA fglrx)  were  it still works for every AMD cards that  came with Catalyst not just for Supported AMD Radeon GPUs. Also  If they never support you're card it will never work .

On Windows my computer still have working AMD display  drivers on Windows updates  for Windows 10 .At 1st it didn't  the ones they gave me were broke and i had to install  other drivers but  for along time its been fixed right from Microsoft Windows updates . No wonder people rather use windows its a lot less hassle :)

1 hour ago, Hated On Mostly said:

Or just use Linux Mint until 16.04.2 becomes official.

I dont think you understand bro,  i have 2 computers with Linux.. My Intel  PC have good drivers for Linux  it will run Linux Mint 18 or Ubuntu 16.04.1 or anything else  . Its My PC with AMD Radeon GPU that wont run nothing new newer than Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS or Linux Mint 17.3  because Ubuntu drop AMD Catalyst .. There are some distros like Manjaro Linux  and ARCH  were it still work in new versions of there distro with the new stack and the newest kernels.

Archived