Windows 10 tip: Solve network problems with a one-click reset

Batu69

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update includes a new feature that lets you see your network status at a glance. If there's a problem, you can run a troubleshooter or do a complete reset, with a single click.

win10_network_reset.jpg

The new Windows 10 Network Status page includes both a traditional troubleshooter and a one-click reset button.

One of the most subtle but significant small changes in Windows 10 version 1607 is the new Network Status page. You can find it by opening Settings > Network & Internet > Status. This page, which is brand new in the Anniversary Update, shows the status of the current network connection.

If you've got a solid network connection, this status dialog box gives you details about the network. If there's a problem, it offers access to two tools that can automatically repair many common issues.

The first is the Troubleshoot button, which opens the Windows Networks Diagnostics utility. That troubleshooter runs a short suite of tests to fix most common network-related problems.

If that troubleshooter doesn't solve the issue, you can go for a more drastic solution. At the bottom of that Settings page is a Network Reset button. Click that to completely delete all network settings and start fresh.

Article source

• Replies 3
  • Views 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I been doing this since windows 8.1  , Windows 7 and earlier  was more problematic because they required 3rd party drivers for you're wifi nic  Firewalls and stuff  could mess them up when uninstalling them.  Anyone  that dont know what windows trouble shooter is must  never used Windows 8 or Windows 10 very much at all . :) 

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

I been doing this since windows 8.1  , Windows 7 and earlier  was more problematic because they required 3rd party drivers for you're wifi nic  Firewalls and stuff  could mess them up when uninstalling them.  Anyone  that dont know what windows trouble shooter is must  never used Windows 8 or Windows 10 very much at all . :) 

We have been using the built-in troubleshooters in Windows 7 (primarily the network and internet troubleshooter) since it was released and it has worked about 99% of the time.  The only times it didn't work was when Intel PRO network software was installed on the system because there were versions of it that didn't work with our network anyway, so we had to uninstall and install a different version.  But that was 5 or 6 years ago.  Since then the troubleshooters have worked flawlessly. The first step in identifying/fixing a problem should always be the Windows troubleshooters.  They work and can solve a majority of problems quickly.  (And even though Microsoft no longer provides them, we also have the last released portable fixits on our thumb drives because they still work too.)

33 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

We have been using the built-in troubleshooters in Windows 7 (primarily the network and internet troubleshooter)

If you forget and turn you're  internet off and uninstall a firewall  and it breaks the driver were you cant uninstall it  and you lose internet no troubleshooter can fix 3rd party driver problems .  New O/S  Widows 10 ,Windows 8.1 and newer Linux Distros have native support  for most wifi adapters. I used Windows 7  from 2011 -2013 

Does Windows 7 have a 'repair network' function that works?

When my new laptop goes 'to sleep' it occassionally wakes up with a hang up on the wireless connection. It is easily regained by a simple re-boot, but in XP the 'repair network' function was very handy, and actually worked.

However, on Windows 7, the 'troubleshooter' is useless - it never repairs anything, indeed, when the connection is lost, it doesn't even highlight that the laptop has a wireless capability. Going into 'network adapter' also is useless as it doesn't show the 'wireless' connection either, so I can't even disable/enable it.

Is there a small utility program out there that actually works to regain an occassional wireless hang up?

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/does-windows-7-have-a-repair-network-function-that-works-571906/

In fact The only time I ever used  Windows Repair Free/Pro  was to work on systems  that had Windows 7 on them it saves me time from having to find  the fix  via the web. I never needed it on Windows 10 or 8.1

Archived