Cerber Ransomware Switches To .CERBER3 Extension For Encrypted Files

vissha

A new version of the Cerber Ransomware has been discovered by AVG security researcher Jakub Kroustek that switches from the .CERBER2 extension to .CERBER3 for encrypted files. When I tested this new sample, there was some minor outward differences between this version and the previous version.

The most notable difference is that this new version will now append the .CERBER3 extension to encrypted files. This is shown in the sample pictures folder shown below.

encrypted-files.jpg

Encrypted Files

Another notable difference is that this version has changed the ransom note names to # HELP DECRYPT #.html, # HELP DECRYPT #.txt, and # HELP DECRYPT #.url.

The previous Cerber version had also sent UDP packets to the 31.184.235.0/24 range of IP addresses. This version appears to be using the 31.184.235.0/24 range for statistical purposes.

As this version is further analyzed, more information may become available. When this happens, I will be sure to update this article.

Source

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 1
  • Views 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/08/2016 at 6:39 PM, vissha said:

A new version of the Cerber Ransomware has been discovered by AVG security researcher Jakub Kroustek that switches from the .CERBER2 extension to .CERBER3 for encrypted files. When I tested this new sample, there was some minor outward differences between this version and the previous version.

The most notable difference is that this new version will now append the .CERBER3 extension to encrypted files. This is shown in the sample pictures folder shown below.

encrypted-files.jpg

Encrypted Files

Another notable difference is that this version has changed the ransom note names to # HELP DECRYPT #.html, # HELP DECRYPT #.txt, and # HELP DECRYPT #.url.

The previous Cerber version had also sent UDP packets to the 31.184.235.0/24 range of IP addresses. This version appears to be using the 31.184.235.0/24 range for statistical purposes.

As this version is further analyzed, more information may become available. When this happens, I will be sure to update this article.

Source

Any decryptor tool for this cerber3 ransomware

Archived