How A MB Recognizes My Fans

Knightmare

In looking at my fan speeds, I see the cpu, a fan that I assume goes with the gpu, and another fan. The only problem is that I have a fan in the back, a fan on top, the gpu fan, and the case came with two fans in the front. If my math is correct, I should be showing 4 or 5 fans, but it seems like some of them are not detected. I've looked inside and all of the fans appear to be running, but why wouldn't they show on this program?

Untitled.JPG

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting to know why a program must show, how many fans you have installed?
That, what it shows, depends on how the program is compiled, and how many sensors there are or how many this program can recognize.

One good example is the Speccy, which indicates that is installed hundreds Hotfixes, which is installed in the computer 12.30.1899

Most fans like the case fans have no sensors in them so there are no feedback mechanisms for them..

You usually get the temp readings given for what sensors are on the Motherboard... 

On 8/29/2016 at 11:00 PM, teodz1984 said:

Most fans like the case fans have no sensors in them so there are no feedback mechanisms for them..

You usually get the temp readings given for what sensors are on the Motherboard... 

Okay, that's good to know.

• Administrator

Are all these fans connected to the motherboard. Asking as there are two ways to power the fans, one is via connecting them to the motherboard, which allows you the see it's speed and such and the other being connecting it directly to the PSU's cables, which means, they will run at full speed and you will not have any control or the knowledge of it's speed. As the number of connections on the motherboard for fans are limited, some fans need to connected directly to the PSU's cable instead though.

The thing is that there are two types of connectors, actually three types.

1) 2 pin, just to power on fans and run them at max speeds (not detected by MB)

2) 3 pin, power on and control via sensors (detected by MB but cannot be user controlled)

3) 4 pin, power on, sensor control and manual control (detected by MB and user can control speeds too manually)

• Administrator
8 hours ago, ashish.k said:

The thing is that there are two types of connectors, actually three types.

2) 3 pin, power on and control via sensors (detected by MB but cannot be user controlled)

This 3 pin fans can be adjusted / controlled via BIOS and other softwares though.

My friend helped me build the computer, so I'm sure everything was done right. I just wanted to make sure that my motherboard wasn't pitching a fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived