Microsoft Still Forcing Windows 10 Downloads

straycat19

I was looking at a friends computer today for her and found that Microsoft had forced the Windows 10 Download on her machine on Aug 3.  She had removed the GWX blocks the day before and it seems that Microsoft immediately created the folder since it is dated Aug 2, but all the files inside are dated Aug 3.  Updates have not been allowed on this system since June 2015. 

WindowsBT.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Views 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is time to re-think Microsoft products. We have to switch to Linux or Mac ASAP. If someone says they don't know about it, it is time to learn. Once we near October or the end of Win 7/8.1 life-cycle, we need to move. MS with Sh**ty Gay Nudella & his team is a complete and top-most LIAR compared to any tech firms in the world.

Only way that could installed  if they had GWX  in the 1st place I checked  me an Sunk both checked  Windows 7 updates on Aug 9th  it was not present .

I dont have the folder she did something wrong if it was truly forced we all would have the folder on our computers Im on windows seven and I dont have the folder.  For your information I dont use GWX.

54 minutes ago, Holmes said:

I dont have the folder she did something wrong if it was truly forced we all would have the folder on our computers Im on windows seven and I dont have the folder.  For your information I dont use GWX.

Nope, she had GWX Control Panel installed and her system was clean of any GWX components.  I know because I checked it out for her several times (at least once a month when I stopped by to visit) over the year of Windows 10 giveaway.  She removed GWX Control Panel on 2 Aug after talking to me on the phone and based on the time stamps it created the folder about 45 minutes later and the files were downloaded about 4 hours later into the folder.  I have removed all of them except the log files which indicate that Microsoft was collecting information on the system and transmitting .etl files back to Microsoft.  But regardless, this crap was supposed to stop on 29 July and it obviously didn't.

11 hours ago, straycat19 said:

But regardless, this crap was supposed to stop on 29 July and it obviously didn't.

Patch Tuesday was not tell Aug 9th so if you enabled updates before this you was still getting updates for July witch incl GWX . . I didn't bother to check for updates tell patch Tuesday.and it was gone.

GWX is dead: What’s next?

I don’t have any idea how Microsoft is going to unthread the needle on the Get Windows 10 campaign.

ch100 reports “KB3123862 and KB3173040 are now expired/retired/pulled. KB2952664 is still available.”

Early this morning (3:00 am Nashville time) I still had the GWX icon in my system tray. Clicking on it produced the screenshot you can see in the “Thank heaven for Josh” article below. Later this morning (sometime before 6:30 am Nashville time), the icon was gone.

There’s nothing new on the official Windows Update site.

Nothing available through Windows Update.

KB 3035583 is still listed as installed, as are KB3123862, KB3173040 and KB2952664. This is on my “honeypot” machine which had all patches installed without interference.

On Twitter, @falcios reports: ” I remove GWX from the Task Manager and it keeps returning. It’s after July 29, how can I get rid of it?”

I haven’t a clue.

What’s next? I dunno. Observations appreciated.

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/gwx-is-dead-whats-next/

If they didn't know how to  turn  windows updates off and too check to see if  GWX was on windows updates or not,  they should  of left GWX Control Panel alone tell new updates were out because they didn't know what they was doing  . :)

Archived