Windows 10 has over 50 percent market share, according to Microsoft -- wait, what?

Batu69

NetMarketShare’s desktop operating system usage figures are due out in a couple of days, and what happens in terms of Windows 10 growth will be interesting as it will be the first time the new OS isn’t available for free.

Before those figures arrive however, Microsoft has released some of its own, and according to the software giant Windows 10 now has 50 percent of the market in the US, and 51 percent in the UK. And, as if that wasn’t surprising enough, those numbers are from June, so the current percentage will likely be much, much higher.

Microsoft's Windows trends page has been updated to show figures for May and June. In May, Windows 10 was on 46 percent in the US (47 percent in the UK, 36 percent globally). Windows 8.1 had 12 percent (14 percent in the UK and globally), Windows 8 was on one percent (the same in the UK and two percent worldwide), and Windows 7 was on 41 percent (38 percent in the UK, 47 percent globally).

In June, Windows 10 hit 50 percent in the US (51 percent in the UK, 39 percent globally), while Windows 8.1 dropped to 11 percent (12 percent in the UK, 13 percent globally), and Windows 8 remained on one percent in the US and UK, but two percent globally. Windows 7 was on 38 percent (36 percent in the UK, 46 percent globally).

Microsoft’s figures are a world apart from NetMarketShare’s, which in July showed Windows 10 on just 21.13 percent of the market globally, way behind Windows 7 on 47.01 percent.

A big reason for the difference in numbers comes down to how they are recorded. NetMarketShare records actual OS usage (based on web browsing), while Microsoft records the number of devices Windows 10 is installed on. These include tablets as well as PCs, and the figures include devices not yet sold in shops and warehouses. Microsoft also only records Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, while NetMarketShare includes both XP and Vista.

The latest update to Microsoft’s Windows trends has rather broken the page, as it now shows the months in alphabetical order (April 2015 followed by April 2016, and then August 2015 and December 2014). It would be easy to assume from that oddness, and the heading of "Windows trends: Sep 2015" that the figures quoted are incorrect, but actually they are pretty much in keeping with the trend shown in previous updates.

In April, Microsoft had Windows 10 on 30 percent globally, and the OS climbed to 36 percent in May, and 39 percent in June. Previous months showed the OS growing at a rate of about two percentage points a month, but that was before Microsoft started tricking users into upgrading.

Based on the latest figures/growth, it’s safe to assume Microsoft currently has Windows 10 closing in on 50 percent share globally, which seems a bit mad, especially in a single year.

Microsoft was originally aiming at getting Windows 10 on to a billion devices by mid-2018, but then changed how it reported these numbers when it became clear based on the current numbers (350 million devices in June) that it was unlikely to hit that target.

It seems rather odd to me that Windows 10 was on 350 million devices in June and had 39 percent of the global Windows market. That suggests a total market size of 897 million devices (excluding XP and Vista systems) which is very low, especially when you consider global PC shipments for this year alone is predicted to be 255.6 million.

Of course the number of devices that Microsoft announced included Windows 10 Mobile phones, but that’s a fairly minuscule contribution.

Either way, the share numbers are intriguing. It will be interesting to see what NetMarketShare reports on Thursday.

Article source

• Replies 7
  • Views 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ether the desktop pc market is shrinking  or Microsoft is telling a fib . :P
Windows 7 or 8.1 dont even try to upgrade people  no more  when i looked at Microsoft news this morning  is more dead than its been since spring of 2015. :)

Snap1.png

Statcounter  reports around 21%, 22% and you can see August  already.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201607-201608-bar

1 Aug  to 28 Aug 2016  22.2%

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-daily-20160801-20160828-bar

Snap3.png

+rep for Microsoft,

and they still consider global PC shipments stats from websites that don't clarify where the hell they get their stats from, which countries they collect data from and that type of details. the number of Windows users, specially 10, is so much more than the official sources claim, it's not their problems, it's simply because they can't track every single person in the world who installs a copy of Windows.

I still  dont get what Betanews  is talking about?  i see no were Microsoft says they have 50% and its outdated Apr 2016 it said said windows 10 had 30% and they only be compareing it to Windows 8 ,Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 .

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/store/windows-app-data-trends

Were did they get 50% from  and this is a completion between nothing but Microsoft products anyway? Maybe they have 50% of Microsoft' Market but they dont have 50 percent of the over all market but there not even counting xp .  :)

13 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I still  dont get what Betanews  is talking about?  i see no were Microsoft says they have 50% and its outdated Apr 2016 it said said windows 10 had 30% and they only be compareing it to Windows 8 ,Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 .

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/store/windows-app-data-trends

Were did they get 50% from  and this is a completion between nothing but Microsoft products anyway? Maybe they have 50% of Microsoft' Market but they dont have 50 percent of the over all market but there not even counting xp .  :)

It was revealed years ago that Microsoft counts licenses and retail copies that it ships to OEMs, vendors, and others as active copies even though it was proven that millions were sitting in warehouses and in OEMs databases and not actually being used.  That is how they inflate the numbers.  This is a common practice among businesses since the only way they can count sales is by what they ship, not what each store around the world is actually selling.

34 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

It was revealed years ago that Microsoft counts licenses and retail copies that it ships to OEMs, vendors, and others as active copies even though it was proven that millions were sitting in warehouses and in OEMs databases and not actually being used.  That is how they inflate the numbers.  This is a common practice among businesses since the only way they can count sales is by what they ship, not what each store around the world is actually selling.

Yes i know this but were is a link to Widows trends  that just came out ? I see no source or do i see any other news site reporting  this  .Beta News is bad to write articles  just to get hits user comments. The comments are always the same the haters will comment and the same 2 fan boys  will be under every post.  I use windows 10 but Im neutral about it.  something stinks about this article. April 2016 is as far as it goes 

Microsoft said they would start reporting how Windows 10 was doing at the end of the month instead of every quarter  because the end of free upgrade .Dont you think if they actuality did some other sites  like computer world and zdnet would report it also ?

If Windows 10 has 50%, then somewhere there must be an enormous warehouse with over 500 million Windows 10 devices still in boxes.

Did Microsoft rent space at the Mojave airport perhaps? :P

1 minute ago, Karlston said:

If Windows 10 has 50%, then somewhere there must be an enormous warehouse with over 500 million Windows 10 devices still in boxes.

Did Microsoft rent space at the Mojave airport perhaps? :P

I dont see nothing  linking to were Microsoft said  this ? Tell someone can show me such I will take this as fictitious news . Even the screen caps at beta news are from 2015 . :)

Archived