Incredibly Useful Windows Tools (Free)

Batu69

With more than 85% of market share, Windows is the most popular desktop operating system. No surprise, it supports loads of apps and tools for each and every task – from media/entertainment to system or security. Some tools are very essential and we all know their names like Chrome, Firefox, VLC, Zip etc. However, there is another class of utilities that gets less attention. So, we’ve compiled a list of less known, but helpful, free Windows tools that are worth installing.

Most of these programs come with free, as well as paid version.

Table of Content

Communication

Productivity

System and Security

Entertainment and Media Management

Cutomization and Troubleshooting

Developers Tools

Miscellaneous

50 Incredibly Useful Windows Tools for Everyone (Free)

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ballistic Gelatin

Here's another one: Microsoft Office 2000 Shortcut Bar. No, that is not a misprint. And I'm running it on Windows 7.

Unlike many users, I simply don't like a Desktop that is cluttered with 20-30 shortcuts. Since 1999, I have used the Shortcut Bar to store all of my frequently-accessed shortcuts in a toolbar that is a feature of Microsoft Office 2000. It resides at the top of my screen, and it automatically hides once a shortcut is launched. You can literally create 15-20 shortcut bars in a space that consumes just 3/8" of vertical space. The possibilities are almost endless. (However, the Desktop shortcut bar will crash for unknown reasons. But all the others will work fine.)

Microsoft Office 2000 Shortcut Bar.png

Above is the Weather shortcut bar that contains my radar programs and links to the National Weather Service. The three icons on the far right are Shortcut Bars for Tropical Weather, Office 2016 and System, which contains shortcuts to all of my system utilities. As you can see, there is plenty of room for other shortcut bars. As a bonus, you can even auto-hide the traditional taskbar at the bottom, even though Windows may occasionally tell you that you can only auto-hide one taskbar/toolbar at a time. Not so.

Office 2016 Shortcut Bar.png

If you have an old copy of Office 2000 laying around, you might try this if you prefer the 'minimalist' look for your Desktop.

• Administrator

Nice list. While it covers most bases, I would prefer some alternatives to what they have recommended. Still the things mentioned in this list are quite good, some of them not famous enough and some normally overlooked I think.

Archived