do your recommend / used windefender?

visualbuffs

do you recommend windows defender even with it's new version to your family and friends?

or you disable it and install another 3rd party antivirus/antimalware software

I can't imagine myself using only windows defender and leaving my eset norton behind

is this windows defender really effective?

i know it's less false positive

how about disinfection technique and removal method?

give some words buddy about windows defender

• Replies 11
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is NOT RECOMMENDED to use it as a main security solution. Windows Defender will surely have more False Positives compared to other AV vendor products as MS always sneak your files which makes the windows defender to mark a good file as bad. Please read the valid reasons below and if you still trust this low-detection AV, use it.

Reasons:

• The detection and features are improved recently for the Win 10 users. However, the detection rates are not on par with other 3rd-party security solutions. If using Win Vista/7/8/8.1, it is never to be trusted as its detection rates are completely poor and more False Positives(FP) compared to the detection in Win 10.
  • The detection tests are carried out by comparing with the windows defender as base detection rate. If you see the results, Top AV vendors are much better compared to Windows Defender. Some may say these are paid tests. Yes, it might be. However, it is for the Top AV positions and not too much. So, many other AV products are much better than Windows Defender.
  • The more the Microsoft in-built features, more the trouble after Windows 8 development started. To provide more features, MS collects more personalized data, use of enhanced tracking methods includes spying of your stored data which creates trouble to your good files(detected as False Positives) and your Privacy is DOOMED.
  • It might create new issues when you use other 3rd-party firewall or security tools, applications or any other stuff. Defender doesn't welcome 3rd-party security solutions since MS changed to arrogant strategy.
  • It also increases frequent connections from your device to MS Servers

It's definitely not as good as Kaspersky Internet Security, But it does its job. I've used it merely a lot on different machines and never seen any of them get infected (after using Windows Defender for more than 6 months, run a full scan with Kaspersky Internet security and nothing found). so if you don't have a decent system which can't handle heavy anti viruses, or have a HDD and not a SSD, if you're wise enough to stay safe both online or offline or if you don't wanna put unnecessary load on your poor system then better use it, In Windows 10 and specially in Redstone update it's got better than ever.

P.S: just to help you clarify some stuff which are wrong

• Don't believe " Top AV vendors " tests. it's all about that money, companies pay for their product to be placed at top or top 10 for instance. it's obvious and everyone knows that.
  • if you're worried about your privacy it's a completely different matter from using Windows Defender, you can use Windows Defender and then use any anti-privacy software made for Windows to remove telemetry services.
  • when you Install a third party anti virus, Windows Defender is smart enough to turn itself off and let the third party software do its job.
  • it won't increase your Internet connections any more than what cloud protection feature included in third party anti virus products inflict on your system.

so they are the facts, hope you make the best choice :) 

I use it on windows 10 and i'm satisfied  some antivirus is very sensitive and have false alarm but nothing antivirus is not 100%

you must able to use programs as HijackThis etc. and know some how read logs from this programs 

I'm using Windows Defender since 2014 along with Windows Firewall (managed through WFC), HostsMan for MVPs.org hosts file, an ad blocker and an adwcleaner scan weekly as security related apps (stoped using MBAM as it didn't find any problems whenever i scanned my systems with it).

As real time anti-malware solution i was using BitDefender Antivirus (Win 7 and Win 10) prior to WD... it became annoying and too auto in the latest versions though so i started searching for another solution.

I tried Eset, Kaspersky and Avira before settling for WD... WD and WF rendered most paid anti-malware related software solutions useless (personal opinion).

Even though it detects false positives a lot (it doesn't like meds) and blocks them by default, it lets u know about it and u can chose fast whatever u want to do with the "suspicious" detected file if u're not happy with the default quarantine.

Using WinDef together with ESET, only for a "second opinian scan " weekly, its working much better now in RS1, updates regulary also............:D

If you remove this prog then it could be very difficult to get it back again...........

Disabled Win Defender and install QHTS - Quick Heal Total Security, best of all when it comes to detection and repairing.

When disabled , difficult to get it working again, sometimes you have to totally uninstall your anti-virus/firewall before you can use it again .......:rolleyes:

used since windows 7 also MBAM on-demand.
never had infections.
of course, always using the brain ;)

Archived