Internet Connection Speed Tests With HTML5

vissha

Internet Connection Speed Tests With HTML5

The article compares the speed test results of several HTML5-based (read plugin-free) Internet Connection Speed tests.

It makes sense at time to check the connection speed of an Internet connection. Maybe you just got a new line, upgraded an existing one, or are traveling.

Maybe it is just for making sure that you get the advertised connection speed, or making sure that the hotel's Internet connection is sufficient for pushing that Gigabyte video to YouTube or a company server.

Most Internet speed tests up until now used Adobe Flash to power the tests. While that worked, it required Adobe Flash to work at all.

The rise of HTML5 brought along with it services that either added a HTML5 version on top of the existing version, or created new solutions based purely on HTML5.

HTML5 Internet Connection Speed tests

The following guide lists some of the services that provide you with plugin-free speed tests using HTML5.

All tests conducted on an idle machine with 50 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up.

Bandwidth Place

bandwidth-place.png

The service tests the upload and download speed, and the ping. The download speed measured was the lowest in the test with 45.12 Mbps. Upload speed was measured at 9.10 Mbps which was also fairly low.

The service allows you to change servers for the test, but result remained the same or were even worse. The site displays quite a few ads around the content area.

Fast

fast.png

Netflix's Fast.com is the simplest speed test that we have tested for this article. You open it, it starts testing the download speed right away and displays only it in the interface.

It does not display distracting ads on the page, but links to Speedtest.net and Netflix.

The speed was significantly lower than what the line is capable of (46Mbps measured).

Open Speed Test

openspeedtest.png

The service tests the download and upload speed of the Internet connection, and measures the ping while the test is running.

The highest upload and download speed is displayed in the interface afterwards. Options to switch locations are not provided.

The interface is quite messy with lots of ads displayed near the main content area.

Results were fairly accurate. Not as good as Speedof.me, but close enough.

Speedtest Beta

speedtest.png

Speedtest by Ookla is one of the most popular Internet connection speed tests. The beta version of the HTML5 version of the service is currently available as an alternative to the Flash-based speed test.

The test checks the latency, upload and download bandwidth. Results were a bit lower on the test device with the download reaching only 47.xx Mbps and the upload only 9.xx Mbps.

You may change the host however either by selecting one of the available hosts from the list or by using search to find another host that is not necessarily in the vicinity.

Settings are provided to change metrics from miles and Mbps to Kilometers and Kbps.

The interface of the speed test is quite messy as well, with loads and loads of ads displayed around the tiny (in comparison) content area.

Speedof.me

speedof-me.png

The Speedof.me site is only available as a HTML5 version. It tests the latency of the connection as well as upload and download speed using different file sizes.

The site looks somewhat messy with the large ads listed on the left and right of the actual content. The test picks a server closest to your physical location, and updates the data as the test runs.

Results were accurate with upload and download speed correctly maxed out on the test connection. There is no option however to switch servers.

Results may be downloaded as images, PDF or CSV files.

Closing Words

Speedof.me came closest to the actual speed of the Internet connection. While it lacks options to change servers, it was the most accurate HTML5 Internet speed testing service.

Your mileage may vary depending on your location in the world though.

Now You: Do you test your Internet connection speed?

Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speedof.me matched closely what I see on the little NetMeter I run constantly.   DSL 15/1   shows just shy of 14/ 940 up 

My subscription is for 1.5 Mbps down / 0.5 Mb up

My actual download rate, evaluated by me checking downloads is 1.44 Mbps (180 kbps) when everything is ok. Actually, connection is quite unstable, frequently falls down to zero and downloads fail. This might be a serious issue while downloading from host sites as free user, making me lose hours of "waiting time between downloads"

Using these websites, download results with Ad-block off varies from 1.6 Mbps to 1.9 Mbps

Upload is a quite uniform at 0,46 Mbps

• 2 weeks later...

Archived