Suggest me a printer

rudrax

I am going to buy a printer. My budget is 6000 rupees (indian). I want a AIO (print, copy, scan) color + B/W printer. I know I will get only a InkJet in that price tag. I will prefer Wi-Fi and built-in LCD panel but can also sacrifice them in exchange for better quality printing.

So suggestions? 

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

No matter what you buy, do not buy two things, a printer who's company name starts with H and do not, do not buy InkJet.

While I have never used a lazer printer. If you want a long lasting, cheap printer costs, but slightly expensive, look for Brother ones.

WiFi might be helpful, but depends on you. Same for scanner, never actually used it much though.

I'd agree with DKT27 with the exception that while I like Brother's features, I find them competitively priced and a good value.  My last AIO cost $80something and I still use it for day-2-day printing and scanning/faxing.  My last 2 have served 5+ years.  They update their software for new M$FT releases and aftermarket ink is widely available. 

• Administrator

I guess in printing, after buying costs are more or as important as the printer cost here.

i don't trust the AIO thing despite its utility and room spare

i have a Ricoh AIO but i didn't used it more than a year

Now i don't use scanners or faxes anymore. i use an old HP Laserjet 2100 Series which fits perfectly to my needs. (i don't print too much neither)

Separated devices have assets too:

With the all-ine one printer/scanner...., if one fails all can stop working

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

i don't trust the AIO thing despite its utility and room spare

i have a Ricoh AIO but i didn't used it more than a year

Now i don't use scanners or faxes anymore. i use an old HP Laserjet 2100 Series which fits perfectly to my needs. (i don't print too much neither)

Separated devices have assets too:

With the all-ine one printer/scanner...., if one fails all can stop working

Good point.

One can always buy a scanner individually, while finally costs the same, it probably saves on space. Have also heard about portable scanners, not sure how good they are though.

My sister has a simple and most efficient alternative to scanners - mobile phone's camera. If done right, high quality images, zoom-able, small size, no need to care for DPI, no extra costs, cost effective, time saving, portable and such. What more you can ask for here. :P

Thank you all for putting up your views.

@DKT27 you have thrown a kick to my shortlist. I hardly had one shortlisted that starts with the letter "H". But why, I mean people are reviewing it really good. HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835. HP has cheaper cartridge than other brands.

The reason that I am not opting for a laser printer is due to my need accompanied by my budget. No way I can get a multifunction laser printer (color) in my price tag. Tell me if you find one. I am also willing to buy scanner seperately if falls under my budget.

Please do suggest some models from your prefered brands. I am not good at printers. 

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, rudrax said:

Thank you all for putting up your views.

@DKT27 you have thrown a kick to my shortlist. I hardly had one shortlisted that starts with the letter "H". But why, I mean people are reviewing it really good. HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3835. HP has cheaper cartridge than other brands.

The reason that I am not opting for a laser printer is due to my need accompanied by my budget. No way I can get a multifunction laser printer (color) in my price tag. Tell me if you find one. I am also willing to buy scanner seperately if falls under my budget.

Please do suggest some models from your prefered brands. I am not good at printers. 

Welcome.

Do not even get me started. Bought a cheap and most famous model of AIO from the company myself. Stopped working before warranty completed, yet they charged money to repair. Replaced circuit for the buttons, probably installed some other model's circuit. Printer starts, buttons do not work, cannot even copy from pressing the buttons. That's not it, printer jams, leaves dark marks on paper, talks about ability to take 50-100 pages in insert tray, cannot actually even take 10 of them. Coming to cartridges, they come with microchips which prevents refilling, all the refill shops tell me they can refill them fine, but not in my case, even bought a new cartridge, but refilling does not work in it either, just prints empty pages. About the new cartridge, it should have lasted atleast 50-100 pages right. It did not last more than 10 pages, that too, normal plain text. That's not it, ink cartridges go juiceless if not used, infact, they go juiceless even if one uses them. I have heard lazer ones work even after not running for a year. These ink based ones are so expensive to maintain. Cost about 10-15 rupees per black plain text page. As for company, better not said much about it, there are millions of unsatisfied customers worldwide, they are great in marketing, bad in quality of product. There is a saying, buy anything, any product, but never buy of that company.

Put money into a laser printer, it is cost effective in a long run. An Brother AIO Will cost you about 10,000, used to cost 7,000 previously. Save money to buy it if required. As for color, if that is your main thing, then Inkjet is only option. I personally found out that color printer is of no use. In so many years, I printed like 1-2 color pages. Most lazer printers are B/W, as they are targeted at printing text at high speed and cheaper costs.

All I know is Brother makes one of the best laser printers out there. Inspite of them not being famous here, thanks to market dominated by some companies and our idiot tech sellers which have no idea about things, they are available everywhere online and such. I can suggest you two Brother models one just printer, one full one, but they are B/W laser ones but they cost 6,000 and 10,000 respective though.

canon MG7550 (all the way)

this one i do own is perfect . scan copy print : wifi - lan - usb - airprint - NFC  and much more.

Canon is the best in printers. (is a inktjet printer.)

you get a AIO with 2 hidden trays with one is photo paper and other tray a4.

you could choose a more cheap version if you want a good printer (choose canon)

the mg7550 is more than what you want to spend on it.

I recommend Brother as well. This may be repeat of what others have said but I agree that Brother has the best features and value for money when compared to other brands. All Inkjet printers are designed to waste ink because they "clean" the print heads by periodically wasting ink and brother ink is the cheapest to replace and quite easy to refill if you want to go that way.

Note that water and moisture immediately damages inkjet prints and they also fade quickly, this is especially true for dye based inks. Pigment based inkjets are a small improvement but typically cost more. If this is an issue for you, then you definitely need a laser printer. If you need the best of both worlds you can consider an all in one inkjet and a monochrome laser since an all in one colour laser is usually quite expensive regardless of brand.

These models I recommend:

Brother MFCJ5520DW All-in-One InkJet Printer
Brother HL-3170CDW Color Laser Printer
Brother HL-L2340DW Monochrome Laser Printer

I agree with the last comment.

Buy a B&W laser printer AIO for everyday copying and printing and a cheapo inkjet for the colour stuff if you want.

I have a Ricoh SP204 B&W laser which is cheap as chips and totally reliable for everyday printing and scanning (colour scanner) and have a cheap Epson colour ink jet (an old R285) that I can buy ink carts for less £1 each off Ebay. I don't even bother refilling them for that cost. Most inkjets even if they are cheap ones give pretty good photo and colour printing.

Definitely avoid HP printers like the plague - they cost so much, break down (even the so called business ones I know I had one worst pile of junk ever) and are just not worth the time trying to get them to work and fixed, let alone the initial investment.

Brother printers have a good rep and Epson are OK. What you have to remember is all inkjets have a life expectancy way shorter than you might think. If you don't use them they can block up, if you use them too much they wear out.

I have factored in buying a cheap inkjet every 2 years no matter what (current Epson now 5 years old - Yeah!) and use cheapest ink available. Current pricing in UK supermarket is £35 (for a Epson/Canon cheapo AIO or standalone)

If it lasts 2 years that's 33p per week.if I change carts once a month at an average of £5 (4 or 6 £1 carts each) a change; that's £1.15 per week plus the 33p that's less than £1.50 per week max to run my printer and throw it away when its knackered.

The new Ricoh laser printer cost me £55 and the running costs per page are so low its not worth factoring them in. I expect the laser printer to still be running in 5 years time. My old Samsung 1210 is still going strong on toner refills alone at my sisters house as a letter printer and is at least 9 years old.

8 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Welcome.

Do not even get me started. Bought a cheap and most famous model of AIO from the company myself. Stopped working before warranty completed, yet they charged money to repair. Replaced circuit for the buttons, probably installed some other model's circuit. Printer starts, buttons do not work, cannot even copy from pressing the buttons. That's not it, printer jams, leaves dark marks on paper, talks about ability to take 50-100 pages in insert tray, cannot actually even take 10 of them. Coming to cartridges, they come with microchips which prevents refilling, all the refill shops tell me they can refill them fine, but not in my case, even bought a new cartridge, but refilling does not work in it either, just prints empty pages. About the new cartridge, it should have lasted atleast 50-100 pages right. It did not last more than 10 pages, that too, normal plain text. That's not it, ink cartridges go juiceless if not used, infact, they go juiceless even if one uses them. I have heard lazer ones work even after not running for a year. These ink based ones are so expensive to maintain. Cost about 10-15 rupees per black plain text page. As for company, better not said much about it, there are millions of unsatisfied customers worldwide, they are great in marketing, bad in quality of product. There is a saying, buy anything, any product, but never buy of that company.

Put money into a laser printer, it is cost effective in a long run. An Brother AIO Will cost you about 10,000, used to cost 7,000 previously. Save money to buy it if required. As for color, if that is your main thing, then Inkjet is only option. I personally found out that color printer is of no use. In so many years, I printed like 1-2 color pages. Most lazer printers are B/W, as they are targeted at printing text at high speed and cheaper costs.

All I know is Brother makes one of the best laser printers out there. Inspite of them not being famous here, thanks to market dominated by some companies and our idiot tech sellers which have no idea about things, they are available everywhere online and such. I can suggest you two Brother models one just printer, one full one, but they are B/W laser ones but they cost 6,000 and 10,000 respective though.

Real, quality color lasers are expensive to buy and toner is $$$ (they have 4 drums of toner)... really only suited for the office.  If you have something that needs the quality color lasers produce, take the file to a local shop (here: staples, office max, target (sometimes)) and just pay to have it printed.  It's cheaper than owning one.  Complement that with a AIO from Brother for $100 and you'll be in good shape.

I agree with those that have proposed buying a Brother printer.  I have two Brothers and they have been doing fine for over 5 years.  Though I have to note that I also have an HP color inkjet 970cxsi that I bought in 1999 and it is still going strong and is used daily.

What you guys have suggested, goes out of my budget and I can't afford to do that. So I would be really happy if you guys can suggest me some models that can make the most out of my budget.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, davmil said:

Real, quality color lasers are expensive to buy and toner is $$$ (they have 4 drums of toner)... really only suited for the office.  If you have something that needs the quality color lasers produce, take the file to a local shop (here: staples, office max, target (sometimes)) and just pay to have it printed.  It's cheaper than owning one.  Complement that with a AIO from Brother for $100 and you'll be in good shape.

Agreed. That is what we do. Far cheaper.

9 hours ago, rudrax said:

What you guys have suggested, goes out of my budget and I can't afford to do that. So I would be really happy if you guys can suggest me some models that can make the most out of my budget.

Then do something like this, go for a different brand, something like Canon AIO, then, get a cheap Ricoh laser printer. Or, get an cheap Ricoh laser printer something like Ricoh SP 111 - quite cheap here and get another cheap scanner. I must mention, I have no personal experience in any of these.

Forgot to ask you though, what are your needs. B/W or color printing. How much printing do you want. Have you bought any printer before. What do you want to print and such.

@DKT27 I want both color and B/W printing.

The printer will have to withstand moderate to heavy load occasionally.

I have personally never own a printer before. 

I will be printing B/W documents mostly and colored if required. Glossy paper photos occasionally. Also would be scanning a lot more documents occasionally.

All of these I want under 6000 tight.

(acually an incident took place in my locality recently. The school where my dad work, they needed the scanned copies of student's photo and signature to be uploaded for registration. Due to insufficient scopes, the shop where they does these kind of work charged 10 rupees per copy just for scanning. You know this is ridiculous. For printing they charged 20 rupees per copy. So this is how the loot is going on here. So my dad came home being furious and told me to look for a printer that does all these things.) 

@rudrax

HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 2135 All-in-One Printer (Wifi not available but economical)@4099/-

Site: http://www.amazon.in
Sharecode[?]: /HP-DeskJet-Advantage-2135-Printer/dp/B013GF4TEI?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=eb39a75c-e403-4745-b740-dbd5dafac659

If wifi functionality required then @6799/- (Best Value for money as cartridge cost very less)

HP DeskJet 4535 All-in-One Wireless Color Ink Printer (Black)

Site: http://www.amazon.in
Sharecode[?]: /HP-DeskJet-4535-Wireless-Printer/dp/B01BMKK0YW/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1472049950&sr=1-1&keywords=HP+DeskJet+Wireless+Ink+Advantage+4535

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, rudrax said:

I will be printing B/W documents mostly and colored if required. Glossy paper photos occasionally. Also would be scanning a lot more documents occasionally.

(acually an incident took place in my locality recently. The school where my dad work, they needed the scanned copies of student's photo and signature to be uploaded for registration. Due to insufficient scopes, the shop where they does these kind of work charged 10 rupees per copy just for scanning. You know this is ridiculous. For printing they charged 20 rupees per copy. So this is how the loot is going on here. So my dad came home being furious and told me to look for a printer that does all these things.) 

If you want it for heavy printing, then really, I cannot insist enough on a laser printer. In inkjets, it's going to cost you 15-20 rupees either way per page on the long run, in front of that, a B/W laser printer will cost you 0.50-1 rupees per page I have heard. But, only B/W are cheaper and not made for glossy photos.

For a start, you can go for an AIO Inkjet if you want, but as I said earlier, finally, it will cost you more than the product itself. Just stay away from the H company for it. I think Canon might be good, but not sure myself though.

i heard this brother printer for the first time here. i checked out their availablitiy in my area and its like very poor.

as for you query, i know others have suggested u not to go for hp but i have owned one(and still do) and it is performing satisfactorily. i have the hp deskjet 2515 AIO(print,copy,scan, no fax-not needed). basically considering the brands i had two choices-hp or canon. what made me tilt towards the hp was the drawbacks of canon, i was within your price range and hence i had to go for inks. canon inks are costly and not easily availabli.so no.1 factor to consider is the availibilty of ink at your place. then my hp can operate even if one type of ink gets perished, for e.g. if color ink finishes i can still print b/w and vice versa but the same is not true for a canon printer, if one type of ink finshes, even if you have the other ink type full, it wont print no matter what. hp inks are available easily locally as well as online.

the other thing was mine costed a cheap 4500 bucks(with 1 set of color and b/w inks). the subsequent inks(both colored and b/w) afterwards can be purchsed for 900-1000bucks per set. i think it claimed to have capactiy of printing 480-500 pages in that ink but i think 75-80% of that is the actual measure. that is still good. the scanner is also good (b/w as well as color)

the only thing is this model is 3yr old now. but i m sure that hp have kept pace with times and released a similar model in the recent times within this price range.

for my home usage of 10-20 prints per month, i think it was a good investment, 4500 for 3 yrs i say worth it. maybe look up what models are going on right now and select from them.

the camera phone is not a scanner, i have to scan photos and sign sometime and camera is just not an option there. them cafe people were charging 50-100 rs for printing an aadhar card and i was like what? here in india it all loot :P 

2 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Just stay away from the H company for it. I think Canon might be good, but not sure myself though.

what do you have it against the H company? :P bad experience?

Maybe the latest releases from HP are good. Some models have very good feedbacks from users. Canon Inks are costly.

I can't suggest which one to get but i can suggest which to skip, never go for Epson. The shit they pull with the cartridges is astounding. The XP305 every time one of the 3 cartridges is empty (no matter which one), all 3 need to be replaced. You can't even use just black, if that's the only not empty cartridge. It refuses to print. Bullshit. ?

whatever you buy . if you go cheap then it will cost more inc use.

if you pay some more less inc use.

wathever brand you choose . we do not get canon printers back ,to the store because they do not fail.

other brands are sometimes more fragile. (i will not give you the brands to buy) i can only say canon all the way.

i hope you will find a cheap model in that brand. even in youre budget they have one from canon.

Canon Pixma MG5750

as cheap as 61 euro

12 hours ago, rudrax said:

Brother MFC-465CN or Brother equivalent model in India.  color inkjet w/ scanner & fax.  USB/or ethernet with network printing and fax support.

1 hour ago, davmil said:

Brother MFC-465CN or Brother equivalent model in India.  color inkjet w/ scanner & fax.  USB/or ethernet with network printing and fax support.

Unfortunately, this thing is not available in india. Even if it was, the price would have been a lot more than my budget. 

Archived