Mozilla reveals its Firefox 64-bit for Windows plan

Batu69

The Firefox web browser is available as a 32-bit and 64-bit application for all supported desktop operating systems including Windows.

The 64-bit Firefox version for Windows is a fledgling however when compared to the Linux and Mac OS X versions, as it has just been available officially since December 2015.

64-bit builds for Windows were available years earlier, and third-party forks like Waterfox or Pale Moon offered dedicated 64-bit versions long before Mozilla considered offering them officially on the main download hubs of the browser.

While Firefox 64-bit builds are available officially on the stable channel, the main download page still pushes 32-bit versions to user PCs.

64-bit versions of Firefox offer better security and better performance for demanding web applications.

Mozilla reveals its Firefox 64-bit for Windows plan

firefox download

Firefox users on Windows are running 32-bit versions of the browser basically, unless they have downloaded the 64-bit version of Firefox for Windows explicitly.

As far as stats are concerned, Mozilla did a market analysis back in 2015:

• 1.7% of Firefox installations on Windows are 64-bit on a 64-bit OS.
  • 66% of Firefox installations on Windows are 32-bit on a 64-bit OS.
  • 32.3% of Firefox installations on Windows are 32-bit on a 32-bit OS.

The stats will have changed since then. Firefox 64-bit for Windows has been released to the stable channel. While downloads are still hard to find, it seems likely that the availability increased the number of 64-bit Firefox on 64-bit Windows.

Most processors are 64-bit that get sold these days, and this will impact the stats as well over time.

Tip: Read this guide to find out if you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Firefox.

Mozilla Windows Firefox 64-bit schedule

Mozilla plans to put the focus on 64-bit versions of Firefox for Windows in the near future. The organization released a proposed schedule that highlights how it wants to accomplish that.

Note: These are proposals, and things may change along the way.

• September 2016: Re-design of Firefox download page, and A-B testing.
  • Between November 2016 and January 2016: 64-bit Firefox is a non-default option in the stub installer.
  • First quarter of 2017: 64-bit Firefox becomes the default in the stub installer for "some eligible users". Run some tests, make 64-bit Firefox the default for all eligible users afterwards.
  • Second/Third quarter of 2017: Eligible 32-bit Firefox installations are upgraded to 64-bit using the browser's upgrade functionality.

The percentage of 64-bit versions of Firefox on Windows will pick up pace once Mozilla makes the version of the browser a default option in the installer, and when the upgrade of 32-bit versions of Firefox to 64-bit begins. (thanks Sören)

Article source

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll never go back to Firefox 32-bit. There is a noticeable difference between 32-bit and 64-bit performance wise. I feel there is no longer a need for any of the clones out there.

21 minutes ago, shorty6100 said:

. I feel there is no longer a need for any of the clones out there.

I'm afraid you're right all versions  of Firefox even palemoon 27 wont support jetpack addons soon that's why i still use a outdated version i lost interest in updating Firefox  once Firefox 45 esr came out  If i want to use Web extensions i would just use one based on chrome .

It's too bad about Pale Moon which was once my primary browser. Chrome and Firefox 64-bit are the only 2 browsers I use, now.

@steven36 which version of palemoon currently supports all the extensions also supported in firefox 45.3.0 ESR. When I update the externsions in Palemoon x64 they are not updated to the latest version.

What option we have when support for firefox 45 ESR runs out

18 minutes ago, Ghazi said:

@steven36 which version of palemoon currently supports all the extensions also supported in firefox 45.3.0 ESR. When I update the externsions in Palemoon x64 they are not updated to the latest version.

What option we have when support for firefox 45 ESR runs out

No current versions of palemoon  supports  all the addons Firefox does, it will support all of them once Firefox finishes killing off jetpack addons for Web extensions. If you use jetpack addons  After 45 ESR runs out only option is to use a out dated version .

Of course 64bit stats don't change if they push 32bit by default. I always have to dig through their damn webpage like the most hardcore deep miner to find the damn links for 64bit version. So annoying. Just make it clear selection or even auto detect and the numbers will shift dramatically. All mid to top end systems today use 64bit OS. Hell, my HP X2 hybrid has only 2GB of RAM and it came with Windows 10 64bit. 64bit is default these days. Only really old systems still use 32bit, because they arrived this way back in their day.

• Administrator
19 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Of course 64bit stats don't change if they push 32bit by default. I always have to dig through their damn webpage like the most hardcore deep miner to find the damn links for 64bit version. So annoying. Just make it clear selection or even auto detect and the numbers will shift dramatically. All mid to top end systems today use 64bit OS. Hell, my HP X2 hybrid has only 2GB of RAM and it came with Windows 10 64bit. 64bit is default these days. Only really old systems still use 32bit, because they arrived this way back in their day.

We do list them on our FP if you want. Incase you are referring to betas, we used to list them too, but then questioned the need for it.

But yes, I agree, even said that the previous time. If they are not pushing for 64-bit, then not many will come to know or use them.

It's a shame Mozilla have yet to take over Netscape v9.0.0.9 the last build of the browser.

I used Netscape back in it's early days and it was fine.

Come on Mozilla do it for me!

Archived