Intel’s i7 ‘Kaby Lake’ Processors Are So Powerful That You Wont Need A Graphics Card

vissha

Intel’s i7 ‘Kaby Lake’ Processors Are So Powerful That You Wont Need A Graphics Card

maxresdefault-8.jpg

Intel’s New 7th Generation ‘Kaby Lake’ Processor Leaked, Core i7-7700K Leads the Pack And Can Pump Up to 4.5 GHz

Intel’s 7th generation Kaby Lake desktop processor family has been leaked by Chinese sources, confirming the various SKUs of the lineup. The new 7th generation Intel Processor, Core i7-7700K is said to be so powerful that you wont need a separate graphics card on your PC/laptop to run 4K videos or games.

Intel’s CEO Brian Krzanich revealed the Kaby Lake processors during the IDF 2016 Developer conference and demonstrated its capabilities on a Dell XPS laptop. According to Intel, the Kaby Lake processors will feature an optimized architecture that will be designed with the building blocks of Skylake that came before it. The Kaby Lake processors will be featured on multiple platforms but our focus today is on the mainstream desktop chips.

Why are Kaby Lake processors so different from Sky Lake ?

Intel’s 7th generation processors are said to handle 4K graphics without any glitch. Earlier Intel lineup including Sky Lake failed to deliver ultra high gaming or videography performances like Nvidia Titan X or Radeon Pro SSD.

A graphics processing unit (GPU), also occasionally called visual processing unit (VPU), is a specialized electronic circuit designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display. GPUs are used in embedded systems, mobile phones, personal computers, workstations and game consoles.

Kaby Lake is Intel’s codename for the upcoming 14-nanometer successor to the Skylake microarchitecture. It will feature a new graphics architecture to improve performance in 3D graphics and 4K video playback.

Intel’s 7th generation Kaby Lake processors will have two variants. The high-end version is Core i7-7700K and can boost up to to 4.5 GHz. According to sources Intel is looking to design two different variants of i7 chips. One would be designed for the HEDT market while the others will be designed for the mainstream market. The HEDT lineup is known as Kaby Lake-X and will be featured on the LGA 2066 along with the Skylake-X processors.

The mainstream lineup which is internally known as Kaby Lake-S will be featured on the LGA 1151 socket. While this socket is the same as Skylake before it, the change it chipset (200-series) would not allow compatibility with older generation (100-series) motherboards.

Intel-Kaby-Lake-DRAM-Usage-635x357.jpg

The best part of the Intel’s 7th gen Core processor is that it can swiftly handle the 4K GoPro videos as was seen when Krzanich demoed Blizzard’s Overwatch game without any need for a GPU.

Kaby Lake will add native USB 3.1 Generation 2 Ports, whereas Skylake motherboards require a third-party add-on chip in order to provide USB 3.1 (10 Gbit/s) ports. Kaby Lake will add native HDCP 2.2 support, along with full fixed function HEVC Main10/10-bit and VP9 10-bit hardware video decoding.

Intel was supposed to launch Cannon Lake processors before Kaby Lake this year. However, Intel honchos seems to change their mind and went ahead with Kaby Lake. The 10nm-based Cannon Lake was scheduled to launch at 2017.

Kaby Lake devices should start arriving this fall, so stay tuned for more on when you can get in on Intel’s next generation of powerful processors.

Here is a comparison between Intel’s Kaby Lake with AMD’s Summit Ridge

WCCFTech AMD Summit Ridge Intel Kaby Lake
Product Segment Mainstream Desktop PCs Mainstream Desktop PCs
Product Architecture x86 Zen (+40% IPC compared to Excavator) 7th Gen Kaby Lake (+10% IPC compared to Skylake)
Process Node 14nm 14nm
Max CPU Cores/Threads 8/16 4/8
GPU Architecture N/A Next Gen HD Graphics
TDP Up to 95W Up to 95W
Socket AM4 LGA 1151
PCH Promontory Z270
Memory Support DDR4 DDR4
Launch Q1 2017 Q4 2016

Source

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oliverjia said:

NVidia and AMD won't be happy

we won't  be happy too much when will  know the price actually;)

Well let's wait and see because Intel has made claims like this in the past and we all know how those turned out. It's like claiming a 20% improved graphics which might seem like a whole lot and when the real thing comes out you realise that it went from 5 fps to 6 fps which was in fact mathematically a 20% improvement but still sucks. lol

Maybe Minecraft to run it but i doubt its gonna be that powerfull to run all games and have decent framerates.

The article is not technical at all and compares CPU to discret GPU and to GPU+ramdisk/ssd for professional use. " Earlier Intel lineup including Sky Lake failed to deliver ultra high gaming or videography performances like Nvidia Titan X or Radeon Pro SSD. " This is BS.

And most likely the use of discret GPU will last longer because intel constantly failed to offer proper iGPU for games in their products... 4K H/W decoding is already there so I don't see what Kaby is bringing except the "10%" boost... Which is quite low from a gen to an other !

Let's see the first real condition test in any recent game to see if intel is bullshiting or not.

To be honest I think Intel didn't really claim to be able to replace GPU, and most likely they never will and they have no real interest to do so... By separating GPU and CPU sales, you get more because as soon as your CPU bottleneck you buy a new one and you keep your "overpowered" GPU, then when you GPU becomes the bottleneck you buy the next one and so on...

For Intel to reach Nvidia and AMD level would cost to much I think, unless vulkan brings a different version of the story ?

16 hours ago, vissha said:

Nah...Gamers :wub:Graphics Cards...;)

• Administrator

While everything said above is something I agree, it all looks marketing rather than a real thing.

But here I am, wishing for AMD Zen to take them on.

Currently I'm running a laptop with an i7-3630QM @3.2ghz with two 2048MB NVIDIA GTX-650M in SLI @835mhz. It's safe to say that, if this new chip does what it says it can do... there won't be much games coded to take advantage of this iGPU. Unless you set PHYSX to CPU, there will be no sense and no real benefit from it.

Archived