The hero of Lampedusa

onlyme2

This is the story of Ahmed a 13 year old Egyptian boy who landed unaccompanied on a human trafficker's rubber boat on the Island of Lampedusa in Southern Italy, the only document in his possession was a photocopy protected in a plastic bag of a medical report concerning the medical condition of his 7 year old brother.

According to the Italian daily Corriere della Sera when questioned, Ahmed explained that he crossed the Mediterranean to seek medical assistance for his brother who suffers from Thrombocytopenia, and who requires an operation to remove his speen, an operation his family cannot afford.

"My dream is to see my brother play without feeling bad, play with me football and run together without him fainting", Ahmed added that it was terrible to see his father having to take his brother out of hospital because he did not have the money for the treatment.

Ahmed's story moved the Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi (or perhaps he realized the amount of the Italian public sympathy Ahmed's story generated, and wished to ride the tide) and called on the relevant department to arrange for Ahmed's brother to be flown to Italy for free treatment.

and the moral of this story boys and girls is that ordinary people can and do make a difference towards other ordinary people in this world.Ahmed.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Views 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People always like to help others, its just our (so called) leaders who wants us to live in a divided society. 

Archived