Make File Explorer Open to ‘This PC’ in Windows 10

Batu69

In Windows 10, Microsoft changed File Explorer’s default view from This PC  (formerly My Computer or Computer) to Quick Access. Whenever you open a File Explorer window, you’ll see the Quick Access view, which provides access to frequently used folders and recently used files. *File Explorer was previously named Windows Explorer in earlier Windows versions but was renamed to File Explorer in Windows 8.

Some may find the new Quick Access display handy but others might prefer the more traditional view, similar to older versions of Windows, which displays connected drives and devices. Changing between the two is a very quick and simple process, here’s how:

Make File Explorer open to This PC instead of Quick Access

File Explorer can be opened in several ways but the most common is probably to simply click the folder icon pinned to the Taskbar (or use the Windows + E keyboard shortcut). If you see the following display in File Explorer then it is currently set to Quick Access:

file explorer-quick acccess

To change the default display to This PC, follow these steps:

• Click View in the menu bar across the top of File Explorer – a new ribbon will appear.
  • In the new ribbon, click Options at far right and then click Change folder and search options.

file explorer-change view option

At the top of the Folder Options window, under the General tab, you’ll see the option Open File Explorer to: Quick Access. Simply open the drop down menu and select (click) This PC:

file explorer-change to this pc

Click Apply then OK. From now on, whenever you open File Explorer you’ll see a list of your user folders plus connected drives and devices:

file explore-this pc view2

Personally, I’m forever accessing flash drives, external drives, and a data partition so, even though This PC is only one click away in Quick Access mode, I much prefer File Explorer opening directly to This PC. Of course, YMMV.

Credit to

• Replies 2
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate file explore fat menu's & just go to control panel / File Explorer options     and change to ThisPC there.

Archived